Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Original Ibanez Destroyer Pre-'Shark' Part II - Page 3
Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Band Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by Ice Cream Man View Post
    I was just putting some books up on the shelf and re-read this interview with Eddie in a book called Masters of Heavy Metal, which was a reprint of a lot of old Guitar Player interviews. This is from April of 1980. According to this there were TWO Explorers.

Eddie: Now at the same time I built what I call my shark guitar, which is actually one of the first Ibanez Destroyers made out of Korina wood. I made the mistake of taking a chainsaw to it and putting a bunch of weird stuff on it.

GP: Did it lose some tone?

Eddie: It lost the tonality I want. Now, kids can't tell. They can buy a DiMarzio pickup and stick it in anything and go, "Yeah, it's rock and roll!" But it was that distinct little tone that I look for that was cut out of the guitar. Then I went to Charvel and bought the part for a Destroyer with a vibrato. I got tired of playing it, and so I had a friend of mine carve a dragon biting a snake out of the Destroyer's body.

Then there's this from a November 1978 interview:

Eddie's other guitars include an Ibanez copy of a Gibson Explorer, which, he says, "I slightly rearranged. I cut a piece out of it with a chainsaw so that it's now a cross between a V and an Explorer, and I put in different electronics and gave it a paint job. I've also recently bought a Charvel Explorer-shaped body and put a Danelectro neck on it."

There's also mention of one echo effect that I never hear spoken of anymore:

Onstage Eddie uses a Univox echo unit that is concealed in a World War II practice bomb. "I had a different motor put in it," he says, "so it would delay much slower and go really low. I use this for 'Eruption.' I also use two Echoplexes and a flanger for subtle touches."
    The 'Masters Of Heavy Metal' book was one of the best rock guitar books ever from the Guitar Player guys...That along with the 'Positively Van Halen' compilation magazine were the first places I read the interviews that most of us have read thousands of times...

The Charvel Explorer is that black one with the Danelectro neck on it that we saw in the John Sievert black and white pics from Oakland. This guitar became the 'Snake' guitar that he describes...

I did a post awhile ago about the Univox EC-80A Echo Chamber which he mentions here and in a bunch of reprints of other interviews. I have had a guy working on fixing mine for going on a year now and he still doesn't have it fixed right! These things sound a bit like a Binson Echorec to me, but they are really sensitive...It was only used for the last note of "Eruption" both live and in the studio version. It gets the 'Day The Earth Stood Still' 50's sci-fi sounds...similar to what you hear on The Stones "2000 Light Years From Home" to my ears. The whole "different motor" thing is complete bullshit-Eddie's were stock and he used them until they blew up and bought more...he kept two onstage, one for the "A" setup and the other in an emergency back up setup...

No cheer******s allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ice Cream Man View Post
    I was just putting some books up on the shelf and re-read this interview with Eddie in a book called Masters of Heavy Metal, which was a reprint of a lot of old Guitar Player interviews. This is from April of 1980.
    As for anything you've had to say to me, I just can't take a guy who sits around in his footy pajamas eating Spaghettios and reading the same 25 year old interviews with George Lynch over and over seriously.

HYPOCRITE!

Central Scrutinizer
    Quote Originally Posted by garbeaj View Post
    The Charvel Explorer is that black one with the Danelectro neck on it that we saw in the John Sievert black and white pics from Oakland. This guitar became the 'Snake' guitar that he describes...
    Guess what one of next "projects" is going to be...
    WGAF?!!

Doug from Oz
    Quote Originally Posted by jimi1152 View Post
    Star? Bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!! You rock biatch!!

Band Manager
    I take it you are making the black Charvel with the Danelectro neck that I have described rather than the "Star" (sorry Doug!)...That would be cool! Use the Charvel tremolo without the locking nut-no Floyds PLEASE!

No cheer******s allowed!
    I have no idea what the black Charvel w/ the Danelectro neck is, or why Jimi would choose to build that?

My guess, is he's going to recreate "the shark."

Central Scrutinizer
    I take it you are making the black Charvel with the Danelectro neck that I have described...
    BINGO!

Use the Charvel tremolo without the locking nut-no Floyds PLEASE!
    Too late, the die is cast., my friend.. look at the trem posts... yes, yes, prepped for the dreaded Floyd! MUHAHAHAHA!!!

Look, once again, for me it's purely a matter of functionality (tuning stability, reliability etc.) over aesthetics or even accuracy. By now, you seen at least one of my annoying videos and realized that there is no loss of tone when a Floyd is involved! Oh, and, I should forewarn you- a d-tuna will most likely also reside on it! Sorry...
    WGAF?!!

Central Scrutinizer
    Quote Originally Posted by unchainedguitars View Post
    I have no idea what the black Charvel w/ the Danelectro neck is, or why Jimi would choose to build that?
    Of course you do, ug! You've seen this one before...

As to why I chose to build it... I've wanted an Explorer for a while now. The Gibsons are way over-priced, Destroyers and Grecos are hard to come by, Epiphones are hit or miss so, I decided to build this version.

My guess, is he's going to recreate "the shark."
    Actually, I'll probably do a "Star" in the next few months.
    WGAF?!!

No cheer******s allowed!
    Of course you do, ug! You've seen this one before...

As to why I chose to build it... I've wanted an Explorer for a while now. The Gibsons are way over-priced, Destroyers and Grecos are hard to come by, Epiphones are hit or miss so, I decided to build this version.

Actually, I'll probably do a "Star" in the next few months.
    I always thought that particular guitar was red?
    I must be thinking of the Zlozower book, where you see a Red Ibanez destroyer, sitting in the background.
    But i'm really not fammiliar with that black Charvel.

It looks cool, though!

Central Scrutinizer
    But i'm really not fammiliar with that black Charvel.

It looks cool, though!
    Like garbeaj said, that Charvel Explorer body...

... would go on to become the "Snake"...

Here's the back of the "Snake"...

...as you can see it's all black which is consistent...
    Last edited by jimi1152; June 3rd, 2010 at 04:42 PM.
    WGAF?!!