Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Original Ibanez Destroyer Pre-'Shark' Part II
Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast
    Band Manager

Original Ibanez Destroyer Pre-'Shark' Part II

Here is an ad I found on e-bay...http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=350254042505 Don't know if you guys can see this in this post-but go to e-bay and search for 'Ibanez Destroyer' and you will find this ad...
    Seeing this old Ibanez ad you can see how Ed thought he had a solid Korina guitar-because that is exactly what Ibanez advertised it as
    The more I learn about this guitar,the more I'm thinking I should abandon the Epiphone Explorer project and just buy a Gibson...Since it looks like Ed never used a Korina finished (or Korina wood for that matter) Destroyer and that THE guitar was probably all mahogany or Japanese Sen Ash then I would be doing much better by buying a Greco or a Gibson Explorer-Greco being made of Sen Ash and the Gibson being made of mahogany-The pickguard,electronics,and tuners would not need to be replaced and the neck joint would be right on...I might be in it for a $1,200 or so maximum...If I re-arrange an Epiphone I'm looking at maybe $500-hmmm...what to do...Whoa! Here's another ad I found on e-bay http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=250360993665 This ad claims the guitar is solid mahogany! Jeez-you really can understand the confusion about this instrument-both from us obsessives and Ed himself!
    Last edited by garbeaj; September 18th, 2009 at 04:23 PM. Reason: new info...

No cheer******s allowed!
    Poor Ed was fooled, like the rest of us!

I remember him stating in that Rosen piece, "See this guitar was made out of Korina, which is very rare. Now Ibanez makes them out of different wood & they sound like shit..."

Little did Ed know...LOL.

I think you should finish the Epi project.
    Those Epi Explorers & V's look the business!
    Just change the pups.

No cheer******s allowed!
    "Whaddaya mean it's not Korina??? But the Ad said...But...It is!"

One thing we do know is that whatever wood it was, it sounded fucking unbelievable!

Central Scrutinizer
    Quote Originally Posted by unchainedguitars View Post
    I think you should finish the Epi project.
    Just change the pups.
    I agree. The Epiphone Explorers are well made and they are a great value for the money... I would upgrade the p/u's and electronics, though. I plan on getting one and doing just that very shortly!

Band Manager
    Thanks for the feedback...I still don't know...It seems like a good deal for an Epiphone '58 Korina re-issue for $330,but that is without case...Gibson or Greco with all the right parts on it already with the correct neck joints and wood is starting to win

Band Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by garbeaj View Post
    Thanks for the feedback...I still don't know...It seems like a good deal for an Epiphone '58 Korina re-issue for $330,but that is without case...Gibson or Greco with all the right parts on it already with the correct neck joints and wood is starting to win
    By the way,I'm NOT buying the Epiphone-definitely going to get a 70's Greco Destroyer-made in the same factory as the old Ibanez Destroyers-made with Japanese Sen Ash,(the original was either Sen ash or Mahogany)-looks identical to the various photos that have been posted of the white Destroyer,the post surgery 'Shark',and the Chris Holmes Destroyer from the WACF sessions-I can get a Greco Explorer/Destroyer for about $1,000 including shipping from Japan-pickguard and machines/electronics all correct...I'll probably still try replacing the Bridge pickup with an EVH model-Thanks to everybody! You have all really helped me find what I consider to be the closest I can get to "THE" guitar
    Last edited by garbeaj; September 22nd, 2009 at 01:40 PM.

So what do we agree on? IS the white guitar the same guitar as the shark?I think so!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Band Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by Mallonmusic View Post
    So what do we agree on? IS the white guitar the same guitar as the shark?I think so!
    Yeah...I feel like the white guitar became the 'Shark' after all-it seems like Ibanez made some painted models or Ed painted it white...the headstock is painted white and there is no Ibanez logo on it as far as I can tell.The Chris Holmes Destroyer is painted red in a similar way...also a red painted guitar and headstock.I think Ibanez must have made some painted Destroyers...I saw a 13 yeard old kid playing a black mid-70s Destroyer with the Ibanez cursive logo on youtube-I think the Greco is the closest I'll get without paying an arm and a leg/.In fact,from what I can tell-it is identical.

*EDIT* I did confirm that Ibanez never painted the original 70's Destroyers. It was always sold in the "korina" colored finish. Chris painted his Destroyer and I messaged back and forth with the kid on youtube and he said he painted his black because the original finish had chipped off like almost everybody else's...Painting an old Destroyer black is the path of least resistance since the headstock is already black and you can easily retain the original logo. Since I am painting mine white and wanted to have an Ibanez logo I had to find a black old script style "Ibanez" logo decal and have my painter go over the headstock with clear several times to make the edges of the decal disappear...Eddie and Chris Holmes didn't care about the logos-they just painted their headstocks...
    Last edited by garbeaj; November 3rd, 2010 at 09:14 AM.

Band Manager
    I finally found a really good deal on a '75 Ibanez Destroyer! The finish is a little rough and it has Seymour Duncans...but I have a set of original Super 70s pickups that I bought a while ago for just such an occasion. I have a really good guy that should be able to refinish it to like new condition for a couple hundred bucks...I'll post some pics and put up a video of something when it is all complete! I'm really happy I got the real deal

Central Scrutinizer
    Quote Originally Posted by garbeaj View Post
    I finally found a really good deal on a '75 Ibanez Destroyer! The finish is a little rough and it has Seymour Duncans...but I have a set of original Super 70s pickups that I bought a while ago for just such an occasion. I have a really good guy that should be able to refinish it to like new condition for a couple hundred bucks...I'll post some pics and put up a video of something when it is all complete! I'm really happy I got the real deal
    Congratulations! I can't wait to see it.
    WGAF?!!