Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Cheesy `80's local bands
Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.

Cheesy `80's local bands

Heh...since Unchained and I have been talking about local bands we were in or remember from the `80's and `90's, I looked up a few of our local ones that have resurfaced on MySpace. These were the bands that put out ads for members that clearly stated, "Looks, attitude a must!"

Here's one I stumbled across that has audio. I very vaguely remember this name: Babe Blu! (Click the pic for the MySpace tunes.)

This band doesn't have any song clips, but they have this priceless pic. I remember their name was spraypainted on a nearby bridge. Prepare to witness...SHOK L'AMOUR! (Click for more extremely `80's pics.)

Sorry, I wish I could find more. This is too funny!

Metal Up Your A$$!

Exclamation

Cheesy 1980's/1990's local bands from my area;

1 - Scarycrow - they had a cool song entitled "Stand up and screaming loud!". One of the guitar players (Guilherme Guiminha) used to wear some stuff a l Steve Vai and he also used to play a 07 string Ibanez model.

2 - Hard - I remember my band (Mash II) and Hard sharing the same bill twice in 1994 or 1995. Our lead singer said something like "Every chessy band has the Sebastian Bach that it deserves!". He was right - Hard' singer used to dress stuff a l Sebastian, though he didn't have the same voice.

I wish I could have some pics to share here... .
    Wolfgang Van Halen - "I love being a bass player. Its just me and Al a groove section. Just boom, boom, boom, and were good". GW
    ---
    Edward Van Halen - "What is next for Wolf is the next record and the next tour. Hes no different than I am. Music is his life. If he goes back to school, Ill probably go with him. GC

Isn't it kinda funny that at one time if you didn't look like these bands you were considered an amateur who was going nowhere, and within just a year or two these bands were the last thing you would want to be? I wonder if some of these bands cut their hair and got Fender Mustangs and tried to make it in grunge? I bet they did.

Here's a video of the band that was really HUGE here - THE BLONZ! I mean they had authentic hot groupies hanging out outside their apartment and everything. They got a record deal but unfortunately for them Kurt Cobain popped up just as their record was released. (Click the pic for the full video.)

No cheer******s allowed!
    We had Tin Pan Alley, Snydley Whiplash, Love Pollution, Flesh, Jealous Dogs, Creepshow Mary, Tongue in Groove, Bang (early Spread Eagle), BOA, Bang nasty, Sweet Cheater....

There were so many, here in Boston.

A lot of them were actually really good musicians, in that style.
    Tin Pan Alley always seemed to headline, and Sweet Cheater ended up with the record deal.

Although I tried to laugh and blow these bands off as hokey, in reality I was intimidated. Just think of the amount of work that went into even just those photos: all the band members are skinny, with clear complexions and no moles or birthmarks. They all consented to growing their hair to approximately the same length and dying it black. They've also found the local rock n' roll store and plunked down some dollars to wear skin-tight skull trousers.

Then look at that Blonz video: again they're all about the same height and weight, and they've all dyed their hair blond. They've got massive amps and racks of gear. They've even rehearsed when to bang their heads in unison or shake the headstocks of their guitars together at particular points in the song. They're also all wearing blue-and-white clothes so they match even more! It may look dopey in hindsight, but I know it can be hard to even find a few people to learn a 3:30 song, let along do all of that. I guess its to be commended, in a way.

Anvil got the movie, but I think there are thousands of bands out there with well-done songs who never made it who have stories to tell.

Git some!
    Firehouse, that's all that came from here.

I'm sure there are cover bands now, but yeah...
    Ready, Eddie!

No cheer******s allowed!
    Yeah, like Tin Pan Alley, they all fucking looked great!

Dave & the boys were all chiseled, they looked great shirtless, not too muscular, yet just enough definition (Yeah, i sound gay, but i'm attempting to make a point), they had long, straight hair that would make their girlfriend's jealous...

I remember thinking, "Fuck! Not only do i have to play my ass off, i have to morph into Sebastian Bach, while doing it."

Metal Up Your A$$!

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Ice Cream Man View Post
    Anvil got the movie, but I think there are thousands of bands out there with well-done songs who never made it who have stories to tell.
    True.
    Seshmeister, a friend from the DDLR.com board once posted pics and shared 2 or 03 tracks from his old Hair Metal band there. His band was pretty good for that musical style.
    Wolfgang Van Halen - "I love being a bass player. Its just me and Al a groove section. Just boom, boom, boom, and were good". GW
    ---
    Edward Van Halen - "What is next for Wolf is the next record and the next tour. Hes no different than I am. Music is his life. If he goes back to school, Ill probably go with him. GC

No cheer******s allowed!
    I miss the old days...
    Attached Images Attached Images