Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Youtube In Danger? - Page 2
Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Resident Moron
    Quote Originally Posted by i1sum2! View Post
    Better brace for it and get that vdownloader now! Get all the youtubers ya want while ya still can get 'em for free. There's still a couple of stickies up in the Van Halen video forums fyi.
    I should add that there is a batch function, and you can now download the whole suite by DVDvideosoft. Free. Just specify all the links, clean up the new files when done.

Definitely cut your teeth, there.
    I'm different. y'hear?

A lot of what's on YouTube is either duplicate stuff, or stuff that shouldn't have been uploaded anyhow. I was looking for guitar effect demos, and some guy has taken videos of each of his pedals that are exactly two seconds apiece. Does the world need a two-second shot of a pedal? It would be nice if there was a way to discern the wheat from the chafe and clean it up. They could probably lose a good 1/3 of the stuff.

THEE bassist for VH
    I agree with Panama's idea of eliminating channels after so long if they aren't being used. That might cut back on certain unnecessary videos. Plus, as Ice Cream Man stated, they're just really too many useless videos being uploaded as well. Why even bother with those 2-20 second features? Those small increments add up and eat their bandwidth up. When you've got X amount of knuckleheads world wide doing that, well, you can imagine why Youtube is in the position they're in now. I would hope that they don't start charging for their services, but I don't see how they could not either. Maybe Panama will go to work for them and solve all their current problems!

panman I'm pretty sure they have no trouble with storage. I mean terabytes are cheap now. I saw an ad for 1.5tb hd for something like 125$. Its the bandwidth that is costly because they use sooo much. I'm sure they get a really good deal on it too, but still they use so much of it.

as a side note, i don't think they could go around deleting content merely for disuse, there would be way too much backfire if they did that(even if it is a good idea).
    A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules, often with the assistance of unsuspecting musicians.
    Frank Zappa

oh another thing I must say, one of the best things about youtube is that there are so many reviews of gear on there. I'm not talking about the like personal reviews, I'm talking about places like Pro Guitar Shop and other places like that, which do a fairly good review. then again those are some of the more bandwidth heavy users I'd guess. It's easy to get a decent opinion of gear prior to buying it if you look on youtube.
    A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules, often with the assistance of unsuspecting musicians.
    Frank Zappa

THEE bassist for VH
    I think they need to incorporate some rules if they really want to weed out these mini videos that are clogging up their site. Make it to where the clip has to be at least a minute long let's say. What is the point of uploading anything less than a minute really? That alone would help make a dent in people wasting their bandwidth I'd think. Soooo much crappola over there in places!

Checking in
    I agree with Panama. I mean, probably close to half of the videos on YouTube have about 1000 views or less. In the future, give people around six months to get about 1000 views or take em down.

After they're down, maybe put the videos on a more Flickrish site i.e. a site where you'd have to find the person's name to watch the video. I don't care if you post a video of you and your friends playing Guitar Hero, but I also know that that's something only you and your friends will find funny. It doesn't belong on YouTube.

Unfortunately, we're gonna see YouTube as a pay site or bogged down with ads very soon. And the traffic is definitely gonna go south. Honestly, I'm interested to see if it could survive as a pay site, or if it may very well disappear.

On MySpace Music, for instance, your audio has to be at least 1:00 to be uploaded. Anything less and it tells you your audio is too short. YouTube should do that to get rid of those useless :30 clips.

Also, maybe they would have some way to check video quality. Some people obviously have no idea how to encode video, and you get a bunch of blocks and static instead of a video. There's got to be some way to prune that junk en masse.

Resident Moron
    Quote Originally Posted by Ice Cream Man View Post
    On MySpace Music, for instance, your audio has to be at least 1:00 to be uploaded. Anything less and it tells you your audio is too short. YouTube should do that to get rid of those useless :30 clips.

Also, maybe they would have some way to check video quality. Some people obviously have no idea how to encode video, and you get a bunch of blocks and static instead of a video. There's got to be some way to prune that junk en masse.
    You mean like a duration to size ratio?
    I'm different. y'hear?