Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
NHL Playoffs 2009
Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    TPS Reports

NHL Playoffs 2009

Any hockey fans here? Are you psyched for the playoffs?

After a 5 year drought, the St. Louis Blues are in the playoffs. Damn, they have played great in the 2nd half of the season. 9-1-1 in their last 11 games pushed them into 6th place, they will face Vancouver in the 1st round.

GO BLUES!!
    Go RAMS!

THEE bassist for VH
    I keep hoping that KC will finally get a professional hockey team. We're still trying to get one here. We have this nice new arena (Sprint Center) and could use a team to fill up seats and pay for the place. It's nice too. I really know very little about the game, but enjoy watching it.

Permanent vacation
    I'll be tuning in to every game I can, being Canadian and all, LoL.

Vancouver has the best chance of any the Canadian teams this year, but they have a pretty soft reputation in their last few playoff appearances... as good as Loungo is, I'd be surprised if they made it to the conference final. I'd expect they go out in the 2nd round.

Montreal had a lot of trouble near the end of the season - what the fuck happened to Price?! - but they can always surprise, as they did last year. Especially against Boston, where they've taken 24 or 25 of 31 series between them.

Calgary... I like them, a lot of great players. But they're too beat up to go far. I think they'll be out in six, unless Kipper can stand on his head.
    "I am not one of those weak-spirited, sappy Americans who want to be liked by all the people around them. I don’t care if people hate my guts; I assume most of them do. The important question is whether they are in a position to do anything about it. My affections, being concentrated over a few people, are not spread all over Hell in a vile attempt to placate sulky, worthless shits."

~ William S. Burroughs

Roadie
    Boston is looking good. Solid goaltending with Tim Thomas (Vezina!!), quality D led by Chara & Wideman and multiple lines of offense. I think the Bruins had (7) 20 goal scorers. Last season Boston was the 8th seed and they gave Montreal - the #1 seed a tough 7-game series which took the wind out the sails of Les Habitants.

They need to play clean. No silly penalties. The Montreal power play is strong. I am calling for Boston in 5 games - let the Habs win one in front of the home crowd then knock them out at home here in Boston.

2002 - New England Patriots - Super Bowl Champs
    2004 - Boston Red Sox - World Series Champs
    New England Patriots - Super Bowl Champs
    2005 - New England Patriots - Super Bowl Champs
    2007 - Boston Red Sox - World Series Champs
    2008 - Boston Celtics - World Champions
    2009 - TBD

THEE bassist for VH
    Caught some of the Philly Fliers game last night, what a rock 'em sock 'em event it was! It was reminiscent of old school hockey games I thought.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...TPStory/Sports

NHL PLAYOFFS: EASTERN CONFERENCE: FLYERS 6, PENGUINS 3
    Flyers claw back into series

Philadelphia shows some fight in Game 3 to pull within one game of Penguins

DAN GELSTON
    Associated Press
    April 20, 2009

PHILADELPHIA -- The Philadelphia Flyers opened to a throwback video from the Stanley Cup glory days, then displayed a quick fuse that showed flashes of the old Broad Street Bullies spirit and revved up the crowd.
    The bond with the past and the rowdy home fans gave a nice emotional lift, but it was Jeff Carter and captain Mike Richards that jolted the offence early and really got Philadelphia back in its playoff series against the Pittsburgh Penguins.

Pittsburgh leads the opening-round series 2-1, and Game 4 goes tomorrow night in Philadelphia.

"It was a huge game. We didn't want to go down 3-0 because that's a tough task," Flyers centre Danny Brière said. "We have to enjoy it for a few minutes here."

Unlike last season's Eastern Conference final when the Flyers flopped at home against the Penguins in Game 3, this year's team came out charged from the opening faceoff.

Carter, the NHL's second-leading goal scorer, scored his first of the postseason three minutes into the game, and Richards made it two goals on two shots for the Flyers 2 minutes 15 seconds later.

The Flyers put the pressure on early for the first time and were determined not to get out muscled against the Penguins. The two teams never stopped scrapping and put on quite a show for the energized crowd.

"You look at Game 1, and I thought we sat back too much and let them dictate the pace," Brière said. "We can't sit back and let them dictate because guys like Crosby and Malkin are going to hurt you."

Evgeni Malkin scored two goals for the Penguins, and Sidney Crosby had two assists.

While the shoving and punching invigorated the atmosphere, it was the rapid goal scoring after a punchless first two games that really made the difference for the Flyers.

Martin Biron, meanwhile, stopped 26 shots and played like the goalie who led the Flyers to the conference finals last year. Keeping up that kind of play in net along with the steady scoring and the series could come back to Philly for Game 6.

"It was more than another game for us today, coming back home in the hole that we were in," Biron said. "You saw the desperation that carried on through the game. The emotion was definitely there and that's the way we've been successful all year."

Each team spent so much time fighting in the first period, the penalty box could have used a corner man. Philadelphia's Scott Hartnell stuck up for a flattened Kimmo Timonen when he threw punches at Chris Kunitz. Kunitz landed a flying elbow hard into Timonen's head and sent him to the ice. Flyers defenceman Andrew Alberts scuffled with Malkin on the other side.
    The bell sounded much to the delight of the sold-out crowd and the Flyers showed they still had plenty of fight left in this series.

By the midway point of the first period, the officials had their hands full. Giroux and Tyler Kennedy mixed it up at centre ice, and the refs couldn't stop Flyers centre Darroll Powe and Letang from throwing punches along the boards.

The Flyers had 30 penalty minutes and the Penguins recorded 28.

TPS Reports
    I watched some of that Penguin/Flyer game yesterday. In the 3rd period, a scrum developed behind the net. Some fan was seen flipping off a player. It was hilarious. Ton of hits in that game.

As far as the Blues go, stick a fork in them, they are done. Oh well, maybe next year.
    Go RAMS!

I'm a hockey Lover I've been watching the playoffs also but a bad thing happened my t.v. died on me so i had to borrow a friend's t.v. but i can't watch them beacause i don't have my t.v. hooked up yet i hoped to have the cable repair men come tomorrow and hooked it up so i can watch the rest of the playoffs. What do you guys think when hockey will be treated like other American sports any ideas?. I hoping Pittsburgh can go allthe way. i hope the Penguins put away the flyers I hate that team why beacause in the past they have real goons on the team. Tell one thing for sure I hope the Red wings do't repeat as champs. Go Pens
    Michael Holland

THEE bassist for VH
    Tiger Woods says that people don't watch hockey anymore!

I Love 'Em..I Need 'Em...
    Let's go Red Wings!!! We are a bit spoiled here in Hockeytown the last 10 years or so, but man the Wings are always the team to beat. I've loved them and the Bruins since I was a kid. I root for both teams!!! My allegiance is with the Wings 100%.

"I want a run for my money thats all"

No cheer******s allowed!
    To me, the Bruins fans are the real Boston sports fans.
    Even the girls have an intense, menacing way about them, unlike the "pink hats" that attend the Red Sox games.

I see them pile out of the TDK Bank North Garden, and they all have that intensity about them.
    They all seem blue collar, and pissed off.
    If the B's lose, even their 6 year old kids are like, "Penalty my ass! Next time their will be blood on the damn ice if that ref makes another call like that..."