Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
A question for all DLR fans: - Page 2
Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Rocker Chick
    Quote Originally Posted by panama's meanstreet View Post
    That said, and you're both right, he also sold out. OU812. Balanced. I think that FUCK 5150 and VHIII are good efforts, however the six pack remains the best. He wasn't quite as innovative post-1984. He just stuck to the formula that Sam introduced, or maybe that he found in 1984.

I think that at this point, Dave is more the one to support, because he's got everything at his finger tips, and he's less worried about the quick buck than the Van Halen brothers. He just does what he wants.

Eddie is still one of my favorite guitarists, and one that inspired me to play better.

I just think that Ed needs to step outta the spotlight and let Dave soak up his share - it's been 23 years.
    Well said!
    ~DLD
    "The world's a stage, and I want the brightest spot. "
    -David Lee Roth

Git some!
    I second that!
    Ready, Eddie!

Band Manager
    I listen Van Halen since 1978, Year after year i became a huge fan of DLR.I'll support him all my life but even sometimes i disagree with him (like" strummin' with devil").

No cheer******s allowed!
    I would have to disagree with part of pan-man's statement.

I think Dave follows the buck exactly like the VH brothers, otherwise he would never have agreed to this reunion tour & the subsequent "muzzle" the brothers have put on him.

Also, Dave having the world at his fingertips, at this point in time, is a result of him signing up with the reunion tour.

If he hadn't, he'd still be releasing obscure cover albums, instead of selling out arenas in 07/08.

I love Roth, especially prime DLR, but you can't say, "Oh, Dave is just doing what he wants to do...following his muse."

You can call the Van Halen's greedy businessmen, but Dave signed on to join that party, and he is doing it under their conditions.

The old free spirited Roth is a thing of the past.
    Ed is the same way...It's a business to these guys in 2008.

THEE bassist for VH
    Dave needs Ed to inspire him musically? I doubt that very seriously. Dave did alright for 23 years, thank you. He's had numerous good musicians along for his ride. I'm sure that he got something from all of them too. Look at all the different areas he's touched on, the bluegrass thing, the Mambo Slammers Vegas thing, as well as finding time to do rock and roll albums and still tour behind them. Sometimes using different tour musicians than the studio guys too. Dave had to find inspiration in there somewhere! The Diamond Dave album is his only solo effort that I've never been able to finish listening too, but it's definitely not his "blues" album. Certainly not with covers on that. I meant that I want him to release a complete (meaning every single song) blues album like I know he's capable of. That would be the stuff. Dave's a very creative guy, and I hope he'll pursue this.

Dave lost a lot of points with me by signing on to last years VH tour without taking Mike along. All of his talk on his short lived radio program about how they all needed final closure and it was going to have to be the original four who made those classics only ended up with him going back on his word by signing on the dotted line. He lost his integrity there with that decision. I can almost hear how Ed might have put it to him beforehand, "Dave, I'm not bringing Mike back, and I am including my son. You either agree to do it my way or we don't at all". At that point, Dave became just a hired gun, and not a full fledged member. He's wanted to be back at the helm for years, so he agreed. Now Dave has a lot of charisma, and he's very clever, very witty, but that truly disappointed me. I don't think I'll ever forgive him for that one. Even Hagar had enough balls to say to Ed that he wouldn't do the Van Hagar reunion in '04 without Mike. Why didn't Dave is what I ask? Hagar one upped him there if you ask me. Do you realize that Van Hagar fans got their final reunion and us Roth fans didn't? Not really. We got shafted by Deaddy! Now maybe Dave will part ways again. Probably will is my guess. And should, seeing how the window of opportunity is passed.
    Last edited by i1sum2!; December 15th, 2008 at 11:00 AM.

Groupie
    I see it as Dave is Van Halen , so is Ed .
    Kinda like Aerosmith is Steven and Joe ,Stones are Mick& Keith & Zeppelin is Plant & Page .
    I used to LOVVEEEE Alex until I saw him in an interview and when he said " David Lee Roth will never sing with Van Halen again" (Never say never ) a few yrs ago , I thought he was a putz . Then I read Dave's book and thought HMMMM this guy ain't the conceited jerk I think he is ,and he truthfully wants to keep the memory/ name of Van Halen as a KICK ASS BAND .
    I have had the pleasure the meet some Rock stars and the one's we think are going to be nice are pricks and visa versa . Never had the prveledge to meet any of he Van Halen guys yet. Still think Robert Plant is a GOD !!
    I personally feel like they have Dave walking on eggshells about doing a new Van Halen album . I have never heard Dave so quiet ...kinda sad .

The greatest thing about having Dave back in VanHalen is that i dont have to listen to Hagars voice anymore if they ever decide to do another record

THEE bassist for VH
    Here's a little fun thing. Click each one and listen. Classic Dave.

http://www.thetyser.com/

I hope this annoys unchained too.

Rocker Chick
    This thread got less of a response than I had hoped for. Where's my gals at? Surely the girls can step up to the plate and post a response.
    ~DLD
    "The world's a stage, and I want the brightest spot. "
    -David Lee Roth

THEE bassist for VH
    Quote Originally Posted by unchainedguitars View Post
    To me, the guy who sang on the first six VH records is a million miles removed from the guy that followed in his wake, with all those solo albums.
    I think one only needs to hear the nickname "Diamond David Lee Roth" to understand where Dave's coming from. A diamond has many different sides to it, with no two looking exactly the same. Multi faceted right? First and foremost, he's a showman. He doesn't dictate to any current trends, he simply does what he wants, and what he thinks his audience might like. You can't stay the same forever, and I think he knows this. Sure, he ruled the roost with Van Halen, but you got to look past that to see the real McCoy. If you ever decide to take a listen to some of his solo material, and the lyrics he came up with, accompanied by musicians who were decidedly different from Ed, you'd see that Dave offers a whole lot more than what he did in Van Halen. Dave has more than adapted to whatever situation he's placed himself in and done alright.