Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast
    Roadie

Michael Anthony - what's next?

With all of us wondering if Van Halen 4.0 will drop some new material on us I started to think will Mike ever record again. We all know Sammy will probably release another tequila soaked CD on the world someday but will Mike ever record material on his own or with someone else. Will the mystery 'supergroup' he is alledged to be in record original material?

Not that he is hurting for money. Between the royalties he got/gets from VH and his hot sauce empire he is probably doing very well.

Just curious.

Checking in
    Spam will keep putting out these beach bum novelty albums, and my guess is Mike will be on a few tracks on all those albums. The acts (Hagaritas and MAX) have pretty much combined at this point.

Chickenfoot will never get off the ground. With Satch still having a popular solo career and Chad Smith having RHCP to worry about, my guess is that going and playing seedy tequila bars in Mexico with two guys 20 years older then them is the last thing on either of their minds. If it survives, it will basically turn into a Hagarita novelty act.

No cheer******s allowed!
    Who cares, at this point?

Mike, outside of VH, is just another sideman.
    Mike, like everyone else, waited on Edward to clue them in on what to do.
    At this point in his career, it's unlikely he'll suddenley become a 'creative force.'

TPS Reports
    Hope all is well with Mike. Not his fault Ed and Al gave him 25% of the royalties. If Ed and Al felt so strongly about it, they should have re-worked a deal in the early 80's. They didn't, so it created tension between them and he was essentially fired 8 years ago.

He'll probably keep touring with Sam every summer until Sam decides to hang it up. I feel Mike is a musician who likes to play live and he can do that with Sam. I won't be going to the shows, but I don't hold a grudge against Mike. He is an original member of the greatest rock band ever, in my opinion.
    Go RAMS!

Metal Up Your A$$!

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by unchainedguitars View Post
    Who cares, at this point?

Mike, outside of VH, is just another sideman.
    Mike, like everyone else, waited on Edward to clue them in on what to do.
    At this point in his career, it's unlikely he'll suddenly become a 'creative force.'
    Sounds terrified (as he seems to be left alone), but true.
    Wolfgang Van Halen - "I love being a bass player. Its just me and Al a groove section. Just boom, boom, boom, and were good". GW
    ---
    Edward Van Halen - "What is next for Wolf is the next record and the next tour. Hes no different than I am. Music is his life. If he goes back to school, Ill probably go with him. GC

David Lee Roth Bodyguard
    Mike left Van Halen to tour with Sammy Hagar... and that's where he's been ever since.

End of story.

Git some!
    ^
    Fuckin' well put, well put....
    Ready, Eddie!

Resident Moron
    His early 80's stuff was OK (haggard not mike). VHagar was so much softer than Hag's early stuff.
    I'm different. y'hear?

Permanent vacation
    I'd like to see Mike get this Chickenfoot project together.

I don't really care if they tour, and to be honest, it doesn't even matter that Anthony's on bass. but I'd like to hear an album from them, just to see if it'll spark anything interesting from Satriani. He's sort of turned into the Kenny G of shred on his last couple albums, so I'm hoping that a 4-piece rock group can knock some sense into him.

And at this point, I expect a Hagar / Satriani writing partnership to be more interesting than anything Ed Van Halen will come up with, jamming with his cromagnon brother and teenaged son. I don't expect that Ed will even let Dave near the songs until he's got everything written.

Chickenfoot > Van Halen 4.0!
    "I am not one of those weak-spirited, sappy Americans who want to be liked by all the people around them. I dont care if people hate my guts; I assume most of them do. The important question is whether they are in a position to do anything about it. My affections, being concentrated over a few people, are not spread all over Hell in a vile attempt to placate sulky, worthless shits."

~ William S. Burroughs

No cheer******s allowed!
    Satriani has never written anything as remotely classic & brilliant as what's heard on the six pack. Not even close.

Him collaborating with Hag & Mike is unlikely to produce anything even remotely VH-like.

Satch does not have the tone, the uniqueness & songwriting chops Ed had in spades.
    Again, Ed is a freak of nature, and if you can't hear that or understand that, it's not worth attempting to explain it.

The guy wrote the book in 78!
    Listen to the first side of VH's debut, and tell me differently.

Satriani road in upon his coatails with less talent & zero charisma.
    He was a guy who taught guitar & the modes, who financed a record other guitar player's latched onto.

Edward Van Halen was a fucking musical genius & a rock-star!
    Case closed.