Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Women & Children First & DD
Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Women & Children First & DD

I just bought the album along with Diver Down, and I've listened to every song on both CD's.

WACF, has this darkness to it, from Dave's Vocals, to Mike's bass lines (which he wrote himself!!! ) to Ed's guitar, it is freakin' awesome! I especially love Tora! Tora! Romeo Delight, and Everybody Wants Some!, and Take Your Whiskey Home.

What your thoughts on THIS album?

DD: I see what you guys are saying, the decline of VH. I mean, it's still a great record, but put up with VHI, VHII, WACF, and from what I've heard if FW, it doesn't compare. Little Guitars is good, Full Bug, Where have all the good times Gone?, and Hang Em' High, are all good songs, but the rest are just fillers.

Whar are your thoughts on THIS album?

"The needs of the many, outweigh the needs of the few, or the one" - Spock

Groupie
    Sorry, A.J., but "Big Bad Bill" and "Secrets" are NOT filler, IMO. And, DD was just another of the 6 classic =VH= records, also IMO. Glad you are discovering all this now, but incredibly sorry that you couldn't have heard all this phenomenal music, and ALL that came with it, when it was new and fresh. Enjoy !

BTW, FW puts 'em all to shame !!
    Last edited by jtw5150; November 29th, 2007 at 03:19 AM.

~

Quote Originally Posted by jtw5150
    Sorry, A.J., but "Big Bad Bill" and "Secrets" are NOT filler, IMO. And, DD was just another of the 6 classic =VH= records, also IMO. Glad you are discovering all this now, but incredibly sorry that you couldn't have heard all this phenomenal music, and ALL that came with it, when it was new and fresh. Enjoy !

BTW, FW puts 'em all to shame !!
    I'm sorry, I thought I put BBB in there. But Secrets is a F.I.L.L.E.R.! Listen to the rest of the album and tell me that a song like Bullethead or Beer Drinkers and Hell Raisers wouldn't go better there.

I'm sorry I didn't get to experience the music when it was fresh also, but as I'm experiencing it for the first time, it brings back memories for my dad. He used to play in a VH cover band (I use that term loosely), and all the songs I want to "challenge" him with, just to see if his old ass can keep up, with songs like I'm the One, Atomic Punk, SGAD, Bottom's Up!, he plays it like he's 23 again, I'm proud of his old ass.

"The needs of the many, outweigh the needs of the few, or the one" - Spock

Metal Up Your A$$!

Exclamation

Diver Down - decline in their carrer?

Man, if I had a band as famous as VH, I'd like to experiment such decline.

Secrets is perfect, just like all the songs they recorded (from RWTD to HOP). I can't see/hear anything wrong in between.
    Wolfgang Van Halen - "I love being a bass player. Its just me and Al a groove section. Just boom, boom, boom, and were good". GW
    ---
    Edward Van Halen - "What is next for Wolf is the next record and the next tour. Hes no different than I am. Music is his life. If he goes back to school, Ill probably go with him. GC

Starving Guitarguy
    I absolutely love WACF. "Fools" just rocks.
    Here's my take on Diver Down. And this is my take cause I I think it kinda makes sence. From what I understand, if Ed had it his way, VH would have been over after Fair Warning. But due to contracts, they pulled it out.
    Dave loves doin cover tunes. Ed dont. They both wanted a #1 hit. Dave insisted that if they do a bunch of cover tunes, they would get a #1. So Ed gave him a deal and said that dave could do Diver Down his way, and if the album flopped, the next would be donee Eds way. Hence 1984 Eds way in Eds studio. The only #1 hit CVH ever had was on that album
    Thats just my take. Polly no truth to it at all.
    "Talent is God Given, But Success is Hard Work"

www.ronscustomguitars.com

Band Technician
    I dont think DD was a decline in their career rather a show of internal decline between Roth and the rest..The record is not their worst..I believe the worst
    VH record ..if there is a "worst",.was with Cherone..it just did not click..

Roadie
    DD is a fine album,Little Guitars,Hang 'em High,pure VH gold,only song that gets on my nerves is Dancin In The Street.
    As for WACF,its a class album, mean and aggressive and then towards the end it gets more poppy(In A Simple Rhyme,great track)all i can say is Edward-Thank You
    I'm no gynaecologist,but i'll have a look!

No cheer******s allowed!
    WACF pretty much sums up VH for me.

There is a looseness, a harder edge, a spontaneous vibe to every song.
    I love Fools, Romeo Delight, Whiskey, Rhyme, Cradle...those songs just give me wood everytime, they are so good.

Ed's tone is so rich, so brown....you can only achieve that with the Marshall he has blazing on this album.

Listen to the first divebomb he does during the intro to "Everybody want's some!"
    It sounds almost human, it doesn't even sound like a guitar.
    The little unaccompanied shred solo during Fools was always a jawdropper for me. Again, you can hear the strength in those hands!

DD was a far lesser album, but still classic & a lot of fun.
    Secrets was always a personal fave of mine, love that song!

David Lee Roth Bodyguard
    About bloody time, AJ.

THEE bassist for VH
    I'm surprised that A.J. thinks Where Have All The Good Times Gone (a cover) is good but not Cathedral. That's been a concert staple forever. Of course it's just an instrumental, but still. And Secrets is filler?

I shouldn't be surprised though, as these comments were made by a guy who thinks Van Halen is heavy metal.