Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.

View Poll Results: Has Classic VH Been Laid To Rest?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

7 41.18%
  • No

10 58.82%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    David Lee Roth Bodyguard

Has Classic VH Been Laid To Rest?

Since Dave's and Eddies return to glory, Ive noticed that we aren't talking about Classic =VH= much, if at all.

Have WE, as FANS, moved on?

Has CLOSURE been achieved?

Are we satisfied just to reflect on that GLORIOUS PERIOD for what it was?

Do you still want to see Michael Anthony back in the band? I for one do not. I'd rather be left with the GLORIOUS SOUNDTRACK & VISIONS that I ASSOCIATE with that PERIOD instead of dolefully comparing any "reunion" to what it ONCE WAS. I think, in some ways, a full reunion would really be a low-point. It would highlight all the things that they "were", as opposed to what they "are" now. Its good that Classic VH are immortalized as they are, that is, untarnished and in their prime. I say let it die in VICTORY not in DEFEAT.

You're not OBLIGED to listen to this NEW incarnation of VH and its NOT our right to demand a Classic Van Halen REUNION, anyway.

I, for one, am looking FORWARD "with" ED and DAVE... are you?

I've MOVED ON..... HAVE YOU?

Metal Up Your A$$!

Exclamation ...

Well, I miss Mike Anthony. But I'm ok with Wolfie and the rest of the band. They are doing a fine tour, though they are revisiting some old tunes in a different way. I'd prefer listening to them the way they used to be. But I'm not disappointed with all the stuffs I've been listening from VH 4.0.

I truly think they need to release something new (a studio record) and put 1981 Oakland/CA on sale. We need that gem!
    Wolfgang Van Halen - "I love being a bass player. Its just me and Al a groove section. Just boom, boom, boom, and were good". GW
    ---
    Edward Van Halen - "What is next for Wolf is the next record and the next tour. Hes no different than I am. Music is his life. If he goes back to school, Ill probably go with him. GC

Too Fast For Love
    I don't think that we've moved on....I think that we've been talking about it for so many years that NOW all we want to do is experience it! Shit..I'll take a bullet for Classic VH anyday....
    The cruelest lies are often told in silence... (Robert Louis Stevenson)

We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Music washes away the dust of everyday life.

Sammy who?

Roadie
    I have moved on.

Knowing that the guys are on tour right now gives me a sensation of relief. Sure, i will always want Mike back on the band, but i think that this is the closest to VH perfection that we will ever have.

For me, like you said, a closure has been achieved. I just want to sit back and enjoy. Wait for a new album, hopefully the Oakland and 2007 Tour dvds.

So many years waiting...so many...now i just want to relax. Dave's back and VH is touring. That makes the day for me.

David Lee Roth Bodyguard
    Well --- my point is that THEY (classic VH) DO NOT EXIST, just as VAN HAGAR no longer exists. Nothing needs to done and I really don't think THEY should do ANYTHING. Maybe someone else will license, say - Oakland, and release it. I don't see Ed or Dave laying, posthumously, anything out from that PERIOD.

It was PERFECT... leave it.

I AM NOW AGAINST THIS TOUR. Why? Well, the more I see of this footage from the Tour, the more I become disappointed, not performance wise but on an ARTISTIC level, in Dave and Ed... Ed more than Dave, as Ed had always just only played a few of the crowds favs such as Jump and Panama... Ed's Ethos was always about the new material on the current record. Dave has been covering those "Classics" for years, as a non-writer it was understandable, to an extent. Its like these "Best Of's" that Ed (Van Hagar et al) and Dave (Solo Dave too) seem to have a propensity to load off on us.

Now is the time for NEW MATERIAL, not for flaffing around playing the golden oldies of yester-year!

Ed and Dave! YOU need some NEW babies to feed!

Band Technician

Thumbs up

I think we need to hear something new from the boys. Plus with the Holidays coming up quick, I'm sure people are busy. VH ROCKED Indy!!!

An Eleven Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by IronicA
    Well --- my point is that THEY (classic VH) DO NOT EXIST, just as VAN HAGAR no longer exists. Nothing needs to done and I really don't think THEY should do ANYTHING. Maybe someone else will license, say - Oakland, and release it. I don't see Ed or Dave laying, posthumously, anything out from that PERIOD.

It was PERFECT... leave it.

I AM NOW AGAINST THIS TOUR. Why? Well, the more I see of this footage from the Tour, the more I become disappointed, not performance wise but on an ARTISTIC level, in Dave and Ed... Ed more than Dave, as Ed had always just only played a few of the crowds favs such as Jump and Panama... Ed's Ethos was always about the new material on the current record. Dave has been covering those "Classics" for years, as a non-writer it was understandable, to an extent. Its like these "Best Of's" that Ed (Van Hagar et al) and Dave (Solo Dave too) seem to have a propensity to load off on us.

Now is the time for NEW MATERIAL, not for flaffing around playing the golden oldies of yester-year!

Ed and Dave! YOU need some NEW babies to feed!

Iro, I will agree in theory about this tour, and I know Eddie has always wanted to tour in support of a new album. But lets look at what is happening here. First off about 20 of these songs have not seen the light of day since Dave left, so in a sense they can be viewed as "new" to the concert stage, especially since Ed had to relearn the subtlties of the songs. Secondly, don't you think they are putting a stamp on the old stuff. Here we(VH) are playing all the back catalog that you(fans) wanted to hear for 23 summers. Wolf is getting his feet wet in front of 10's of thousands of people, and the rest of the band is blowing off the cob webs. To me it is a win-win situation. The show I saw was perfect to me. Now next summer will I still think the same 26 songs in the same order will be worth spending Green Backs on? Possibly, but I (like the rest of us here at CVH.com) am crazy for these tunes and these guys. Joe public will need new music to keep them coming back. I hope next spring will see the first new VH album of many more to come.

Doc
    Say my name!

Van Halen cover Brazil
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon Ribeiro
    Well, I miss Mike Anthony. But I'm ok with Wolfie and the rest of the band. They are doing a fine tour, though they are revisiting some old tunes in a different way. I'd prefer listening to them the way they used to be. But I'm not disappointed with all the stuffs I've been listening from VH 4.0.

I truly think they need to release something new (a studio record) and put 1981 Oakland/CA on sale. We need that gem!
    Great, Simon! I totally agree!
    Your words are my worlds too !!
    Deco.
    Balance Van Halen cover - Brazil.
    www.balancecover.com.br

David Lee Roth Bodyguard
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Roth
    Iro, I will agree in theory about this tour, and I know Eddie has always wanted to tour in support of a new album. But lets look at what is happening here. First off about 20 of these songs have not seen the light of day since Dave left, so in a sense they can be viewed as "new" to the concert stage, especially since Ed had to relearn the subtlties of the songs. Secondly, don't you think they are putting a stamp on the old stuff. Here we(VH) are playing all the back catalog that you(fans) wanted to hear for 23 summers. Wolf is getting his feet wet in front of 10's of thousands of people, and the rest of the band is blowing off the cob webs. To me it is a win-win situation. The show I saw was perfect to me. Now next summer will I still think the same 26 songs in the same order will be worth spending Green Backs on? Possibly, but I (like the rest of us here at CVH.com) am crazy for these tunes and these guys. Joe public will need new music to keep them coming back. I hope next spring will see the first new VH album of many more to come.

Doc
    Good points, Doc.

At a push, I'll give The Boys the benefit of the doubt and say this is like "a treat" for the fans.

But...

This better be a precursor to the following:
    1. A better work ethic.
    2. A higher production rate of new material.
    3. A more honest appraisal by the band on what makes Van Halen tick musically.
    4. Death to The Other Half. That spite can be a positive thing.
    5. IronicA gets a mention in the forthcoming CD liner notes.
    See, the fact that this thread has drifted to "looking forward" is a point in case to what I was originally getting at.

An Eleven Warrior
    Here Here. I agree 110%, even with the mention in the liner notes. You're a good bloke Iro with a positive vibe. Refreshing in this day and age.
    Say my name!