Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
VH Scalping Own Tickets?
Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    THEE bassist for VH

VH Scalping Own Tickets?

http://www.ticketnews.com/Is-Van-Hal...Tickets0129073

By Alfred Branch, Jr.
    Van Halen may have figured out a way to put the “diamond” into Diamond David Lee Roth’s nickname.
    Following the lead of Beyonce and Lynyrd Skynyrd/Hank Williams, Jr., it appears that the veteran rockers may be scalping dozens of tickets for their upcoming 2008 shows, based on a review of Ticketmaster’sTicketExchange website. The band’s current tour, featuring the return of Roth on vocals with Eddie, Alex and Wolfgang Van Halen, has been one of the top-selling tours all year, according to TicketNews’ weekly ranking of leading concerts.
    For a March 17, 2008 show at Madison Square Garden, for example, tickets were being offered on the TicketExchange for as high as $2,885 a piece for some premium seats. Tickets went on sale for the show at 10am today, but these seats, and dozens of others, were up on the TicketExchange in less than 10 minutes after the general onsale, which would appear to be impossible unless the tickets were withheld from the public and posted separately. Traditionally, bands, promoters and venues play around with tickets for shows, making them available in waves or withholding them outright for complimentary or other purposes.
    “It’s impossible for those tickets to be from anyone but the artist and promoter,” said one ticket broker who observed the onsale. “They were up on the exchange within minutes.”
    Since there is no distinction of where the tickets came from, there is no guarantee they were posted by Van Halen, but the quickness in which they appeared on the TicketExchange provides some insight. In addition, most of tickets were listed in pairs, threes and fours, which would indicate they were doled out in blocks.
    The tour is promoted by Live Nation, and Van Halen is represented by Front Line Management, which Ticketmaster’s parent company IAC/InterActiveCorp bought a controlling interest in earlier in the year. High Profile Media’s Jamie Liszweski, spokesperson for the band, did not respond to questions concerning Van Halen and the tickets.
    “If you’re going to do it [auction tickets], do it, but don’t then claim your seats are only $150,” the broker said. “Just say you’re selling VIP tickets for more and sell them.”

An Eleven Warrior
    Just when you thought all the blood was squeezed out of the turnip Van Halen found away to get more. The ability to make gross amounts of money is unreal. I am all for a free market economy, and I do not begrudge anyone what they make, but at some point don't ya think enough is enough? Even if Dave was flat busted at the beginning of this tour(which he was not) he could not spend all the cash he is making off this tour. Wow $2,885.00 a piece for some premium seats, I am almost speechless.
    Say my name!

THEE bassist for VH
    I don't see how they get away with it, but they do. And, people will still pay top dollar. Brokers usually buy up blocks of seats in every city and sell them double or even triple face value. This has been going on for a number of years now, but this is kind of blatant. I expect some backlash from fans in the near future, how could there not be? Right now in KC, there's plenty of pissed off parents who couldn't get their kids tickets for the recent Hannah Montana show because of the way the tickets are sold. The brokers are in cahoots with the promoters and making heaps of money off of fans. I'm understanding that a person has just as good of chances for getting a good seat showing up the day tickets go on sale at their local box office. VH selling tickets on the 2004 tour was bad thru Iloveallaccess, and now they resort to this?

When tickets went on sale in February, I think it was, for the upcoming Police tour, I went online to see what was available/what I could afford, since I knew they were gonna be steep. When I found the cheapest ones were $250 a seat, I immediately gave up on seeing that show. Just for fun though, I went on looking at the auctions, to see just how high the prices would go. There was a pair, somewhere near the front of one show, with a starting bid of $6000 apiece....APIECE! Now, I've no idea who was auctioning them, but talk about squeezing blood out of a turnip! Who the heck has that kind of disposable income, and would spend it on the Police??
    remember....after the fire, after all the rain
    i will be the flame.....

Roadie
    I was really pissed when my 11yr old daughter wanted soooo badly to see Hanna Montana. If any of you have kids that wanted to see that show you know what I'm going to say! The tickets were "sold out" for decent seats. I am just not willing to sit in nosebleeds to see any show. Not that I'm a huge Hannah fan but if I'm going to a show than I'm sitting in decent seats. i'll even pay a little extra. But the tix for her show were going for $1500 and up!!!! For Hannah Montana!!!!!!!!!!!! Geez, my daughter understood but was bummed. I was bummed for her. I mean I love VH and would do just about anything to see them but I'm truly not sure I'd even sacrifice that kind of cash even for Ed! OK well maybe I would but my hubby would be ticked!

I have pretty great seats for this concert (in Cville) and already could sell them for a hot price, I'd feel kinda bad doing that though... catholic guilt I suppose! Not that I would EVER sell my VH tix!

Nice post though, glad I'm not the only one irritated by bulk ticket buying and blocked seats!

An Eleven Warrior
    Ravenna, I agree. 6K a piece is outrageous. For that kind of money you should be on tour with them for a week, riding in the same tour bus, doing the same groupies, etc.... And I am talking about VH at that price. I would not pay $50.00 for the Police, unless I got to kick "Sting" in the goobies.
    Sum, I have a patient that was trying to do a favor for one of his clients and tried to get Montana tickets. He said it was impossible, for the very reason you described. The brokers are ruining concerts and sporting events. This tour I did the ILAA thing, just because I wanted to be close to witness my first "real" VH show. I paid the 5 star price, and was happy I was close, but felt jipped because of the weak package. Now, I was able to five finger a pick off of Wolf's bass during the tour of the backstage, but everything else was a rip.
    Say my name!

An Eleven Warrior
    I have pretty great seats for this concert (in Cville) and already could sell them for a hot price, I'd feel kinda bad doing that though... catholic guilt I suppose! Not that I would EVER sell my VH tix!

EVHgirl, do not let your Catholic upbringing stop you from making money. First, you are not stealing the money, so IMHO there is no sin. Secondly, the Catholic church is one of the richest orginizations in the world. I know what you are feeling, the church knows how to lay the guilt trip on us. I'm a Catholic, and went to 12 years of Catholic schools. They pound it into you from the beginning .
    Say my name!

Roadie
    You're funny Dr Roth! I am fairly enterprising (lord knows I'm an Ebay whiz!) and my hubby thinks I'd sell our children if the law permitted (not that I would do that! But for some reason the whole concert ticket thing bugs me.
    We went to see Dave Matthews here in Charlottesville, he's lives here, so it was a big deal for him to play at our new arena JPJ - he was the opening act. We did not get tickets when they went onsale (duh!) and looked around forever. The prices were obcene! Finally, someone at my gym posted 2 seats just to the side front row (like lower level but front row) for face value. I think it was God's way of paying me back, ya know? Anyway, I'll just have to live with my guilt I suppose! It's not so hard......

An Eleven Warrior
    EVHgirl, it sure is funny how we see things the same way. I was having the hardest time getting my ticket for VH this tour, and at the last minute one ticket(all I needed) opened up and I got it. Right after the package was sold out. I too looked at it as God giving me a little "present". The US military has nothing over the Catholic church when it comes to playing mind games. I know, now I have to go to confession.
    Say my name!

THEE bassist for VH
    Garth Brooks recently played nine sold out shows here in KC and did something a little different, he offered wristbands to people who were willing to stand in line for a chance at a $25 ticket. How many were actually given out, I don't know, but at least you had a chance at getting a seat for decent price. Of course, you had to decide if you could stand to miss a day's work in order to do so. Most I heard walked away happy. And ticketmaster would only sell tickets to the surrounding states. They verify it by your billing address. Not sure how all this works in conjunction with each other.