Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Bop bada, shoobe doo wah

SAMMY HAGAR Says VAN HALEN's Reunion With DAVE LEE ROTH Is 'The Right Thing'

Jeff Kerby of KNAC.COM recently conducted an interview with Sammy Hagar. An excerpt from the chat follows:

KNAC.COM: How cool is it for you to know though that if you ever were to find yourself in another position where you were in a band or a project of any kind, that you could just walk away whenever you wanted to and be alright? Doesn't that give you a lot of freedom within your mind?

Hagar: "Absolutely. The awesome thing about being a solo artist over being in a band like LED ZEPPELIN or VAN HALEN is that when you go messing around with the members of the band, people ain't buying. It's like the ROLLING STONES you've got to see Keith and Mick up there and Charlie or whatever, but when you're a solo artist like Peter Gabriel or Sammy Hagar or Sting, people expect you to go out and do some different things every now and then. It's pretty cool.

KNAC.COM: Do you think that VAN HALEN just got too lucky when you replaced David Lee Roth? Do you think they deluded themselves into thinking they could just trot anyone up there and have the same type of success?

Hagar: "I don't know, when you say VAN HALEN here, what you're really talking about is Eddie. Alex sticks by him because that's his brother, and I love Alex for it. I would never try to come between those guys. Those guys are brothers, and they are the end of a line in a way. Their parents have passed, and it's tough. Mine have too, but I've got other brothers and sisters and uncles, but they are pretty alone. They are very close, and I think that's awesome, but I think it's Eddie that makes those kinds of decisions. In the old days, it wasn't like Eddie was going, 'It's my band this is what I want!' When I was in the band it was our band, and everyone did what they wanted. For the good of VAN HALEN, I wasn't looking to be a solo artist, and Eddie wasn't looking to control everything. Instead, everyone did whatever they wanted to do in that band and it worked. When it stopped working, it broke up. Since then, it's like Eddie says, 'This is my band,' and it is, so he can do whatever he wants, but I think if they wouldn't have got Dave back, they would have been in trouble. The only thing I can say that may sound like sour grapes is that without Dave or myself, VAN HALEN isn't going to be the big, mighty arena act, and that's all there is to it. If he wants to go out there and just be an instrumentalist and just get whatever singer he feels like, he's gonna be down here doing what I'm doing playing theaters in most cities and be lucky if he's selling them out. For him to keep rolling with the mighty VAN HALEN, he needs either Dave or myself. They've been trying to get with Dave since they threw me out in '95. Then, they hadn't done anything until I came back. Now, they have Dave again, and I wish them the best because I think it's their only hope. It's the right thing."

Read the entire interview at KNAC.COM.

What a dick.
    Last edited by ryanpday; September 27th, 2007 at 10:10 AM.

Roadie
    VH big with you? yeah, right! the only way that the Mighty Van Halen will be remembered is with the only and original lineup.

Sammy Hagar, get this: you fucked up the best band in the world. The only people that went to see you in concert were a a group of chicks that think that the crap music that you pulled out was great.

Dave's back now and please shut the fuck up!!

Dance Baby!
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanpday
    What a dick.
    I'll say this to the day I die!. Hagar was the worst thing to happen to Van Halen. Some would argue it was when David left. I undestand. However, Eddie should have never hired that dickwad and continued to call themselves Van Halen. I would have been more comfortable with a bunch of different singers then Spammy.

Now we have what we have today. A fractured fan base and some fat fuck getting fatter and press off the name Van Halen. What a dick!
    Daniel (1994-2013)

Roadie
    The thing that really pist me off is that this bastard puts himself at the same level of Dave!
    "I understand about indecision
    But I dont care if I get behind
    People livin in competition
    All I want is to have my peace of mind".

You idiots need to check yourselves. Sammy did not ruin VH, Eddie did!! It was Eddies music and his yearning to add keyboards. Also remember that DAVE LEFT VH on his own freewill. Who else should've sang for VH in 1985???

C'mon Sammy is a class act. Remember, his solo stuff and Montrose stuff KICKED ASS long before he joined VH.

Bop bada, shoobe doo wah
    Quote Originally Posted by punkatomic
    I'll say this to the day I die!. Hagar was the worst thing to happen to Van Halen. Some would argue it was when David left. I undestand. However, Eddie should have never hired that dickwad and continued to call themselves Van Halen. I would have been more comfortable with a bunch of different singers then Spammy.

Now we have what we have today. A fractured fan base and some fat fuck getting fatter and press off the name Van Halen. What a dick!
    Right on, man. And for Sammy to lump Van Hagar in with Led Zeppelin is pathetic. Lets see..."When It's Love"....or..."Whole Lotta Love"?

I can't believe the way he is ripping on Eddie. He seriously is an asshole.

"he's gonna be down here doing what I'm doing playing theaters in most cities and be lucky if he's selling them out"

What a dick.
    Last edited by ryanpday; September 27th, 2007 at 11:27 AM.

Too Fast For Love
    Seriously...is there anyone more fake and annoying than sammy hagar?
    The cruelest lies are often told in silence... (Robert Louis Stevenson)

We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Music washes away the dust of everyday life.

Sammy who?

Too Fast For Love
    Quote Originally Posted by Pueblo79
    You idiots need to check yourselves. Sammy did not ruin VH, Eddie did!! It was Eddies music and his yearning to add keyboards. Also remember that DAVE LEFT VH on his own freewill. Who else should've sang for VH in 1985???

C'mon Sammy is a class act. Remember, his solo stuff and Montrose stuff KICKED ASS long before he joined VH.
    To start off..... by calling anyone here at a classic van halen site an idiot is offensive to me. I consider many here friends. Your views on Sammy hagar are YOUR views. There are many other web sites around to stand up for this front.
    Go there and have a blast! But u aint gonna get any sammy sympathies from me brother...
    The cruelest lies are often told in silence... (Robert Louis Stevenson)

We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Music washes away the dust of everyday life.

Sammy who?

Bop bada, shoobe doo wah
    Quote Originally Posted by Pueblo79

Dude, I don't appreciate being called an idiot. Relax.

OK, I'll rescind the "idiot" comment. But c'mon, How did Sammy ruin VH back in the 80's?????????? Let's be real. Maybe Eddie should have just went into hiding until 2007. Would that have been better? By the way, Eddie called Sammy and asked him to join VH, Sammy had a fine solo career going as it was.

I love the Dave years as much as anybody else, but let's call it like it is/was.