PDA

View Full Version : Van Halen Inducted Into Rock and Roll H.O.F!

brianp88
January 8th, 2007, 10:04 AM
THE ROCK AND ROLL HALL OF FAME ANNOUNCES ITS INDUCTEES FOR 2007
January 8, 2007
For Immediate Release:
THE ROCK AND ROLL HALL OF FAME ANNOUNCES ITS INDUCTEES FOR 2007 New York -- The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Foundation today announces its inductees for 2007. The inductees are: Grandmaster Flash, Van Halen, R.E.M., The Ronettes, and Patti Smith.

The five inductees will be honored at a ceremony on March 12, 2007 at the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel in New York City. Presenters and performers at the induction will be announced in February, 2007. “We couldn’t be more proud to honor this unique, diverse group of rockers, rappers, singers and poets. This is what rock and roll is all about,” said Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Foundation President and C.E.O., Joel Peresman.
The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony at the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel on March 12, 2007 will also honor Ahmet Ertegun (http://www.rockhall.com/hof/inductee.asp?id=99), legendary founder of Atlantic Records. Ertegun, who was a crucial figure in the careers of artists ranging from Ray Charles (http://www.rockhall.com/hof/inductee.asp?id=76) to Aretha Franklin (http://www.rockhall.com/hof/inductee.asp?id=106) to the Rolling Stones (http://www.rockhall.com/hof/inductee.asp?id=182) to Led Zeppelin (http://www.rockhall.com/hof/inductee.asp?id=141), was instrumental in founding and was the Chairman of the Foundation. The Rock Hall Museum in Cleveland’s main exhibit hall is the Ahmet Ertegun (http://www.rockhall.com/hof/inductee.asp?id=99) Exhibition Hall.
The 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductees, Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five, R.E.M., The Ronettes, Patti Smith and Van Halen were chosen by the 600 voters of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Foundation. Artists are eligible for inclusion in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame 25 years after their first recording is released. In addition to being honored at the ceremony on March 12, 2007, each artist who is inducted is commemorated within the I.M. Pei-designed museum in Cleveland, Ohio. The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame displays the signature of each inductee inscribed in glass. In addition, there is an exhibit of artifacts from this year’s inductees, and a multi-media film presentation with highlights from each artist’s career. The exhibit on this year’s inductees will open in March, 2007 and will run for one year.

brianp88
January 8th, 2007, 10:10 AM
At the Rock Hall web-site, Van Halen's inductees are listed as "Van Halen (Michael Anthony, Sammy Hagar, Alex Van Halen, Eddie Van Halen, David Lee Roth)." No mention of Gary Cherone. Not surprising to me. I'm dying to find out who will sing at the ceremony. The classy thing to do IMO would be for V.H. to play two songs with each singer...

punkatomic
January 8th, 2007, 10:12 AM
Hall of Fame? Sad. Oh well...

How is Van Halen going to pull this off? Again, I find it odd, all this Van Halen talk/rumor just so happened to surface around the time of their nomination.

IronicA
January 8th, 2007, 10:34 AM
I still don't get why its such a big deal. It means nothing to me, except that it will be something else to watch on Youtube in a few months. Our mighty lads (+ Sam ? omfg what ?) will have to stand next to those dozey twonks from R.E.M .. sounds crap to me.

Simon Ribeiro
January 8th, 2007, 10:39 AM
Nice. Just read that over the DDLR Board. :)

And the question is; will CVH be on stage together and performing?

Simon Ribeiro
January 8th, 2007, 10:43 AM
At the Rock Hall web-site, Van Halen's inductees are listed as "Van Halen (Michael Anthony, Sammy Hagar, Alex Van Halen, Eddie Van Halen, David Lee Roth)." No mention of Gary Cherone. Not surprising to me. I'm dying to find out who will sing at the ceremony. The classy thing to do IMO would be for V.H. to play two songs with each singer...

Isn't it all about the debut record? Those 25 years after the release of their 1st effort? IF so, then I can't see Spam there.

i1sum2!
January 8th, 2007, 10:47 AM
Technically, I don't see how Hagar's contribution could be accepted yet by the Hall. An artist has to have been relevant for at least 25 years. He started with VH in 1986 so, you do the math. Even if he is a part of this, it's gonna be pure pandemonium onstage. Who will be onstage? Will there be live satellite feeds to keep Sam and Dave separate from each other? Or, even keep the VH Bros separate from the others? I see it like this:

Ed has four choices.

Go on alone and accept on behalf of everyone.

Go on with everyone.

Don't show up at all.

Have someone else accept the award for the band.

brianp88
January 8th, 2007, 10:49 AM
I still don't get why its such a big deal. It means nothing to me, except that it will be something else to watch on Youtube in a few months. Our mighty lads (+ Sam ? omfg what ?) will have to stand next to those dozey twonks from R.E.M .. sounds crap to me.

To me, the "big deal" about this is the possibility of seeing DLR perform a Classic Van Halen song, on stage, with Ed and Al for the first time since 1984. It's been a long time coming. If this induction into the R & R HOF is what it takes to make this happen, I want to see it. That's what I've been waiting for. That's what I want. Classic Van Halen. Isn't that what this site is about?

IronicA
January 8th, 2007, 10:52 AM
Technically, I don't see how Hagar's contribution could be accepted yet by the Hall. An artist has to have been relevant for at least 25 years. He started with VH in 1986 so, you do the math. Even if he is a part of this, it's gonna be pure pandemonium onstage. Who will be onstage? Will there be live satellite feeds to keep Sam and Dave separate from each other? Or, even keep the VH Bros separate from the others? I see it like this:

Ed has three choices.

Go on with everyone.

Don't show up at all.

Go alone Ed ~ its just going to look stoopid with Hagar & Roth there.

i1sum2!
January 8th, 2007, 10:56 AM
Maybe Ed will send little Wolfie out with his soon to be step mom Janie to accept the award!

:wow:

IronicA
January 8th, 2007, 10:57 AM
To me, the "big deal" about this is the possibility of seeing DLR perform a Classic Van Halen song, on stage, with Ed and Al for the first time since 1984. It's been a long time coming. If this induction into the R & R HOF is what it takes to make this happen, I want to see it. That's what I've been waiting for. That's what I want. Classic Van Halen. Isn't that what this site is about?

Yes..OK .. you have highlighted a possible positive.

Unfortunately Sammy will be there too and that kind of invalidates the whole CVH thing... IMO. Now, if it was just CVH, I would be doing barrell roll's as we speak.

I'm not familiar with the event ~ it means nothing to me.

brianp88
January 8th, 2007, 11:00 AM
Isn't it all about the debut record? Those 25 years after the release of their 1st effort? IF so, then I can't see Spam there.

Hey Simon, I don't think it's necessarily which musicians played on an artist's first record that constitutes which band members get inducted into the hall. You can join a band well after a band's first record and still get inducted as a band member. Joe Walsh didn't join the Eagles until early 1976 and he was inducted into the hall as a member of the Eagles even if he didn't play a note on any of the songs on the Eagles Greatest Hits, which I think is in the top five best selling records of all time.

You don't have to be an original member of a band to get in. Now, do I personally think that Sammy Hagar deserves to get into the hall for what he did for or to Van Halen? Hell no. But, it is what it is, and I think Van Halen would look classy if it gives it's props to both front men. They should do songs with both singers at the induction ceremony, if only to placate fans of both singers, even if you are not necessarily a Hagar fan.

IronicA
January 8th, 2007, 11:06 AM
Hey Simon, I don't think it's necessarily which musicians played on an artist's first record that constitutes which band members get inducted into the hall. You can join a band well after a band's first record and still get inducted as a band member. Joe Walsh didn't join the Eagles until early 1976 and he was inducted into the hall as a member of the Eagles even if he didn't play a note on any of the songs on the Eagles Greatest Hits, which I think is in the top five best selling records of all time.

You don't have to be an original member of a band to get in. Now, do I personally think that Sammy Hagar deserves to get into the hall for what he did for or to Van Halen? Hell no. But, it is what it is, and I think Van Halen would look classy if it gives it's props to both front men. They should do songs with both singers at the induction ceremony, if only to placate fans of both singers, even if you are not necessarily a Hagar fan.

Here we go again with the FUCKING CIRCUS that is VAN HALEN...

Its fucking embaressing... 2 singers !! ED DO NOT DO THIS !!

Scottie Hutch
January 8th, 2007, 11:07 AM
I'm curious to see what happens at the show. Who shows up, who doesn't, who is way on the other side of the stage away from the others etc.....

Simon Ribeiro
January 8th, 2007, 11:08 AM

Got your point, Brian.
But Spam joined Van Halen in 1985.
And Van Hagar only released "5150" on 3/24/1986.
Almost 21 years ago. IF there's logic over the RRHOF thing, no Spam there. But you never know what's going on over their heads... . That's why I think you're right when you say that, if they induct Spam, they shall perform tunes with both lead singers.

i1sum2!
January 8th, 2007, 11:08 AM
Yeah, but this is about the impact the original lineup had, not what came afterwards. I say it should just be the original band inducted. And, will Michael Anthony even be there? Inquiring minds want to know!

brianp88
January 8th, 2007, 11:12 AM
Boy, I sure hope they let Mike play at the induction ceremony. Can you imagine Wolfie making his debut as a full-time member at the Rock Hall of Fame induction? No way does that happen. My money is on Mike being there.

punkatomic
January 8th, 2007, 11:15 AM
Isn't it all about the debut record? Those 25 years after the release of their 1st effort? IF so, then I can't see Spam there. Everything after the classic 6 pack was window dressing and crap. Van Halen makes the Hall of Fame on the six pack alone. I can't see Spammy there, but he will be. And he will think that it is because of his REDNESS that Van Halen made it to the hall of crap. I would love to see David give Sammy a heartfelt round house kick to the throat. That's just me however.

It's going to make for good TV.

Simon Ribeiro
January 8th, 2007, 11:15 AM

Ed has three choices.

Go on with everyone.

Don't show up at all.

You have to bring another option here , Sum:

Forget about Spam, Edward!
Bring yourself, your brother, Diamond Dave and Iron Mike there.
It's all about a single and unique CVH reunion, damnit!
If you hit the road with Van Halen Mark IV after that, that would be ok. At least, there will be some Youtube videos for the rest of us, mortal die-hard, hardcore CVH fans that can't get inside the Halls of the RRHOF thing, man!

i1sum2!
January 8th, 2007, 11:17 AM
Boy, I sure hope they let Mike play at the induction ceremony. Can you imagine Wolfie making his debut as a full-time member at the Rock Hall of Fame induction? No way does that happen. My money is on Mike being there.

Ed's gonna have to do some serious ass kissin' towards Mike if he wants him there!

Simon Ribeiro
January 8th, 2007, 11:18 AM
Yeah, but this is about the impact the original lineup had, not what came afterwards. I say it should just be the original band inducted. And, will Michael Anthony even be there? Inquiring minds want to know!

That's what I pointed firstly. The impact, the revolution that "Van Halen" brought into music and into our lives! :101:

punkatomic
January 8th, 2007, 11:19 AM
Ed's gonna have to do some serious ass kissin' towards Mike if he wants him there!Kind of looks like the ball is in Eddie court now...

NE169
January 8th, 2007, 11:20 AM
At the Rock Hall web-site, Van Halen's inductees are listed as "Van Halen (Michael Anthony, Sammy Hagar, Alex Van Halen, Eddie Van Halen, David Lee Roth)." No mention of Gary Cherone. Not surprising to me. I'm dying to find out who will sing at the ceremony. The classy thing to do IMO would be for V.H. to play two songs with each singer...We won't find out who performs until next month.

IMO, there's NO classy way to do this--I'm not sure the bad blood between Ed and sammy & Mike will allow it to happen.

IronicA
January 8th, 2007, 11:21 AM
They are going to look like total cunts, no matter how they do it...should be a hoot !

brianp88
January 8th, 2007, 11:23 AM
Got your point, Brian.
But Spam joined Van Halen in 1985.
And Van Hagar only released "5150" on 3/24/1986.
Almost 21 years ago. IF there's logic over the RRHOF thing, no Spam there. But you never know what's going on over their heads... . That's why I think you're right when you say that, if they induct Spam, they shall perform tunes with both lead singers.

I get your point too, Simon. I understand that Hagar is getting into the Hall despite that's its only been 21 years since he's been a part of the band. Keep in mind that Joe Walsh got in only 22 years after making his Eagles debut. There is a precedent for guys joining a band in the later years and still getting in the hall of fame. (Like it or not)! In fact, Walsh only played on two studio Eagles albums (Hotel California and The Long Run) and one live album (The Eagles Live) and he STILL got into the Rock and Roll hall of fame, as an Eagle.

I don't want to come off as an apologist for Sammy Hagar. But, if you're going to put Van Halen in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, you can't just ignore his contribution to the band (even though I would prefer to!)

I say let them do this with some class, and play two songs with each singer, and have Mike play bass on all the tunes.

NE169
January 8th, 2007, 11:24 AM
Maybe the lineup should be:
DLR
Alex
Mike
Sammy (on guitar)
:D

i1sum2!
January 8th, 2007, 11:28 AM
IMO, there's NO classy way to do this--I'm not sure the bad blood between Ed and sammy & Mike will allow it to happen.

They should just put a boxing ring up on stage and invite them all up there, even Cherbone, and let 'em get with it! Fuck, I'd pay good money to see that!

But I digress

IronicA
January 8th, 2007, 11:29 AM
I say let them do this with some class, and play two songs with each singer, and have Mike play bass on all the tunes.

Let Dave & Sammy collect the award ~ they can duet to "Love Lifts Us Up Where We Belong" !! CLASS.

Simon Ribeiro
January 8th, 2007, 11:32 AM
I get your point too, Simon. I understand that Hagar is getting into the Hall despite that's its only been 21 years since he's been a part of the band. Keep in mind that Joe Walsh got in only 22 years after making his Eagles debut. There is a precedent for guys joining a band in the later years and still getting in the hall of fame. (Like it or not)! In fact, Walsh only played on two studio Eagles albums (Hotel California and The Long Run) and one live album (The Eagles Live) and he STILL got into the Rock and Roll hall of fame, as an Eagle.

I don't want to come off as an apologist for Sammy Hagar. But, if you're going to put Van Halen in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, you can't just ignore his contribution to the band (even though I would prefer to!)

I'll be alone here, but if they induct Spam (and your point drives me to think that way, Brian), they should do the same with Gary Cherone. I do prefer "Van Halen 3" over most of the Van Hagar records. Again, I know I'm alone here.

brianp88
January 8th, 2007, 11:33 AM
We won't find out who performs until next month.

Man, these guys are human, you would think that if it's just for one night, they could put aside their differences and just play. The Police did it. Ozzy played with Black Sabbath at their induction. It can be done, if only for one friggin' night!

IronicA
January 8th, 2007, 11:37 AM
Man, these guys are human, you would think that if it's just for one night, they could put aside their differences and just play. The Police did it. Ozzy played with Black Sabbath at their induction. It can be done, if only for one friggin' night!

But how can you enjoy it? when we all know they hate each other ?

brianp88
January 8th, 2007, 11:38 AM
Maybe the lineup should be:
DLR
Alex
Mike
Sammy (on guitar)
:D

LOL, if you're going to do that, why not have Ed join them on stage, playing keyboards only. Then they can play Jump and Love Walks In and Keep both singers involved.:wow: .

brianp88
January 8th, 2007, 11:42 AM
But how can you enjoy it? when we all know they hate each other ?

The same way people some people enjoyed the 2004 tour I guess. I dunno. I just want to see the original line-up again. If it only happens one more time, so be it.

i1sum2!
January 8th, 2007, 11:46 AM
We need a merge here I say!

IronicA
January 8th, 2007, 11:48 AM
The same way people some people enjoyed the 2004 tour I guess. I dunno. I just want to see the original line-up again. If it only happens one more time, so be it.

What people ? where ? that tour was notoriously bad. Ed had to get drunk just to get thru it, cos he HATES Sam & Mike (IMO) If you want to see that TOKENISM happen again then your a total wanker.

CVH is dead ~ may it live forever in the spirit in which it was intended.

brianp88
January 8th, 2007, 11:58 AM
What people ? where ? that tour was notoriously bad. Ed had to get drunk just to get thru it, cos he HATES Sam & Mike (IMO) If you want to see that TOKENISM happen again then your a total wanker.

CVH is dead ~ may it live forever in the spirit in which it was intended.

All I'm saying is that I want to see the classic Line-up, with Dave play again. That's all. If it means I have to put up with seeing Sammy again, so be it.

IronicA
January 8th, 2007, 12:03 PM
All I'm saying is that I want to see the classic Line-up, with Dave play again. That's all. If it means I have to put up with seeing Sammy again, so be it.

Sammy isn't the issue here ~ thats another band entirely.

I was talking about the friction between the CVH members.

dawg1981
January 8th, 2007, 03:19 PM
Well all I can say is
"isn't this what we all wanted " ?

Our fav band made the RRHOF

our fav band will play on stage when inducted

our fav band will probably tour
although slight change of line-up

and Roth will hopefully be the frontman

so why are we always bitching ?

I think most of us tend to be a bit shelfish
when it comes to this band .

I want an all original band but hey if this is what
we get (Wolfie on bass) then so be it .

I just want to hear VAN HALEN again and will
support it in any fashion , you know the name of the
band is VAN HALEN !

redsun
January 8th, 2007, 05:47 PM
I say Sam and Dave preform together like two hip hop artists, switching off on all of the vocal lines. It would be a hoot!

Nick AVH fan
January 8th, 2007, 06:02 PM
why the hell is a rapper being inducted to the ROCK AND ROLL H.O.F. not rap or hip hop hall of fame but rock and roll, man media these days

wannabemandolinhero
January 8th, 2007, 07:20 PM
I discovered VH during the Sammy era, but for some reason I don't want him there at all. I think he might try and make a mockery of the band, given his comments of late how he cannot wait to see the fireworks if the band reunites. It seems to me that he wants a reunion to implode.

The neat thing is, this event is but two months away. Just think, in eight weeks the world may see CVH onstage again. On a negative note, this means the band has ONLY eight weeks to figure out how the members will coexist. If I were Mikey, I wouldn't even go. Screw those guys.

zozo5150
January 8th, 2007, 07:48 PM
Van Halen is getting inducted with Patti Smith? Who is Patti Smith doesn't sound like much of a rockin' name.

sal the butcher
January 8th, 2007, 09:36 PM
Here's the trailer to one of David Lee Roth's favorite films. It's an underground film called I Hate You. "The best comedy is not really funny" DLR

Here's a link to the trailer if you want to check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Jm-wsg1eL0

unchainedguitars
January 8th, 2007, 09:45 PM
Patti Smith is cool & is deffinately rock 'n roll.
Mike will be jumping through hoops to take part in this, so i seriously doubt Ed will be kissing ass.
Dawg made a great point, man.
They're goin' in & this is exciting because Vh is in activity mode again.
I have no idea why the Ed-haters (you know who you are) just like to keep pissing negativity on anything related to the band in 2007.
Fucking enjoy the moment.

sal the butcher
January 8th, 2007, 10:00 PM
This link should work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Jm-wsg1eL0

Guitarfreak
January 8th, 2007, 10:52 PM
IMO, if they're going to put Hagar in there, they may as well have included Cherone as well. He had more respect for the original legacy than the other five do these days.

This is the first time I can think of that they've inducted two singers for one band. Kind of a weird choice, like if they'd included Dio along with Sabbath.

sal the butcher
January 8th, 2007, 10:57 PM
IMO, if they're going to put Hagar in there, they may as well have included Cherone as well. He had more respect for the original legacy than the other five do these days.

This is the first time I can think of that they've inducted two singers for one band. Kind of a weird choice, like if they'd included Dio along with Sabbath.

Sammy Hagar doesn't belong on the same stage. I wish the Hall would have excluded him.

wannabemandolinhero
January 8th, 2007, 11:05 PM
I don't think Van Halen should be in the Hall of Fame. What did they do as a band? Eddie has been a dick for the past dozen years, yet nonetheless ... I think he should INDIVIDUALLY be inducted for all that he brought to guitar playing. It is wrong to include others in on perhaps the most important axemen of all! The shit he did, hasn't be topped before or after. I think it would be a greater honor if he was inducted individually. He deserves it.

i1sum2!
January 9th, 2007, 11:11 AM
I don't think Van Halen should be in the Hall of Fame. What did they do as a band? Eddie has been a dick for the past dozen years, yet nonetheless ... I think he should INDIVIDUALLY be inducted for all that he brought to guitar playing. It is wrong to include others in on perhaps the most important axemen of all! The shit he did, hasn't be topped before or after. I think it would be a greater honor if he was inducted individually. He deserves it.

This could be the best possible solution to this mess called Van Halen. Just induct Ed for his guitar contribution alone. I don't see these guys onstage together at all, much less performing. And, the RHOF is a joke really, amongst both rock musicians and fans alike! I don't really see this as anything great. If the hall really truly was filled with JUST ROCK ARTISTS, then it might be an honor. Instead, you've got everybody from Aretha Franklin to R.E.M. in there. Fucking joke I say!

and certain people will accept anything given to them, regardless of quality or integrity.

IronicA
January 9th, 2007, 11:21 AM
Would Dave merit individual induction ? I think so.

wannabemandolinhero
January 9th, 2007, 06:51 PM
I was dead wrong in my post last night. Absolutely DEAD WRONG. Thinking about it, they all fed off each other in important ways. Without Dave's attitude and flamboyance, Eddie's guitar style might have taken a different direction. Without his brother, Eddie might not have felt comfortable being out there, onstage and on the road. And Mike's vox helped Dave's voice (and hide Ed's voice).

Sikester
January 9th, 2007, 07:02 PM
I always thought Ed had a nice singing voice. At least it's in key with MA! I also thought they all three sounded FUCKING phenomenal together!! How did you reach that conclusion?? Just curious!!

EVH_Erupted
January 9th, 2007, 07:14 PM
I always thought Ed had a nice singing voice. At least it's in key with MA! I also thought they all three sounded FUCKING phenomenal together!! How did you reach that conclusion?? Just curious!!
What songs did he sin in? Besides the one in VH III, I think it was in there, I know he sang in the bands' early days but did they record it?

Sikester
January 9th, 2007, 07:59 PM
Sorry EVH_Erupted, I was referring to background vocals. He sang background with MA on a large portion of their catalog!

unchainedguitars
January 9th, 2007, 11:38 PM
Ed did the "Outta love again" backing vocals and i like that sound better than the super-high parts Anthony had sung.

teckhoff
January 10th, 2007, 12:23 AM
I wonder who will be at the Hall of Fame induction ceremony? Dave, Sammy, Gary?

Part of me cannot wait for a DLR reunion (of sorts), but part of me suspects I will be dissapointed. I know I expect to see the VH I saw in New York in 1982. It's just not gonna happen.

Also, IMO, Van Halen was great because of all parts: Dave, Ed, Alex, Michael and Ted Templton. Without any of them, the studio music was/is uninspired.

unchainedguitars
January 10th, 2007, 12:28 AM
I wonder if Mikey will have a little cart with the hot sauce for sale, during the induction?

NE169
January 10th, 2007, 01:07 AM
why the hell is a rapper being inducted to the ROCK AND ROLL H.O.F. not rap or hip hop hall of fame but rock and roll, man media these daysThe Rock and Roll parts of the RRHOF have almost always been a misnomer.

They've inducted pop & jazz acts in years prior.:confused:

What pisses me off about rappers being inducted is that they're implying racism since there hasn't ben any rap acts inducted before, but they won't build their own HOF, and if Led Zeppelin or Elvis were inducted in a rap HOF (hypothetical, just indulge me here), the cries of protest would be much louder, with Jesse Jackass or Al Not-So-Sharpton calling for a boycott.

VH Freak
January 10th, 2007, 08:50 AM
The Rock and Roll parts of the RRHOF have almost always been a misnomer.

They've inducted pop & jazz acts in years prior.:confused:

What pisses me off about rappers being inducted is that they're implying racism since there hasn't ben any rap acts inducted before, but they won't build their own HOF, and if Led Zeppelin or Elvis were inducted in a rap HOF (hypothetical, just indulge me here), the cries of protest would be much louder, with Jesse Jackass or Al Not-So-Sharpton calling for a boycott.

Amen brother!! I agree 100%. Let them build their own hall of fame. Rap is NOT rock...neither is pop....nor country...etc.

i1sum2!
January 10th, 2007, 09:00 AM
I wonder, will Ed have a booth set up hawking Charvel Art Series guitars and Franky replicas for outrageous prices? With each purchase, you'll get a small, airline sized bottle of Smoking Loon to go with it. And a screw in a plastic baggy as a reminder.

brianp88
January 10th, 2007, 09:46 AM
I wonder, will Ed have a booth set up hawking Charvel Art Series guitars and Franky replicas for outrageous prices? With each purchase, you'll get a small, airline sized bottle of Smoking Loon to go with it. And a screw in a plastic baggy as a reminder.

Sounds to me like you've drank a gallon of Smoking Loon. Bitching about Michael Anthony not being in Van Halen anymore is like complaining that Tom Hamilton isn't playing bass for Aerosmith anymore. When you go see Aerosmith, you go to see Steven Tyler and Joe Perry. When you go see Van Halen, you want to see Eddie and DLR and to a bit of a lesser extent Alex. Michael Anthony, while a good musician and a good back-up singer, is not a make or break member of the Van Halen expirience. So lighten up Francis and enjoy the reunion with Dave (if it happens!)

IronicA
January 10th, 2007, 10:25 AM
We may get to hear some Chicken Foot...for fuzzakes.

i1sum2!
January 10th, 2007, 10:25 AM
Sounds to me like you've drank a gallon of Smoking Loon. Bitching about Michael Anthony not being in Van Halen anymore is like complaining that Tom Hamilton isn't playing bass for Aerosmith anymore. When you go see Aerosmith, you go to see Steven Tyler and Joe Perry. When you go see Van Halen, you want to see Eddie and DLR and to a bit of a lesser extent Alex. Michael Anthony, while a good musician and a good back-up singer, is not a make or break member of the Van Halen expirience. So lighten up Francis and enjoy the reunion with Dave (if it happens!)

Wrong. When I've seen Aerosmith (3 times) I only shell out the duckets for the WHOLE group. Not just the Joe & Stevie show. Same thing with VH, it's got be the original four or I would not pay to see it. That ain't a reunion without an integral member.

Some people will accept any 'ole thing thrown at them I guess.

brianp88
January 10th, 2007, 10:41 AM
Wrong. When I've seen Aerosmith (3 times) I only shell out the duckets for the WHOLE group. Not just the Joe & Stevie show. Same thing with VH, it's got be the original four or I would not pay to see it. That ain't a reunion without an integral member.

Some people will accept any 'ole thing thrown at them I guess.

I respect your opinion. If Van Halen tours with DLR, it's your prerogative not to go. I will say this though; there's a lot of people that WILL go see them (myself included), and those that do go are no less of a Van Halen fan than you are. I doubt that I'll see a substandard show, but that's just my opinion.

I guess my real point is that there's no reason to belittle or put down those who want to go have a good time and enjoy Van Halen in it's newest incarnation.

i1sum2!
January 10th, 2007, 11:16 AM
I respect your opinion. If Van Halen tours with DLR, it's your prerogative not to go. I will say this though; there's a lot of people that WILL go see them (myself included), and those that do go are no less of a Van Halen fan than you are. I doubt that I'll see a substandard show, but that's just my opinion.

I guess my real point is that there's no reason to belittle or put down those who want to go have a good time and enjoy Van Halen in it's newest incarnation.

By all means go and see whatever version they give you. My opinion won't stop anybody from going, and that was never my intention. It's just that I PERSONALLY will not squander a penny on such a thing without the original four. I've waited far too long for any other version.

punkatomic
January 10th, 2007, 11:19 AM
Bitching about people bitching about Michael Anthony not being in Van Halen anymore is like trying to highlight Sammy Hagars contributions to Van Halen on a CLASSIC VAN HALEN web site. I'm proud of SUM's stance. I too will not go see The David and Eddie Varity hour show.

This is a Classic Van Halen site. This isn't some KNOB ON EDDIES EGO SITE or some militant Dave army site. This site is about the band, VAN HALEN circa 1974 - 1984. Everything that came after 1984 is BULLSHIT. Sammy Hagar is Bullshit. Gary Cherone is Bullshit. The 1996 MTV awards were Bullshit. Both Best of's were Bullshit. The 2004 tour was Bullshit. Mike signing his rights away to Van Halen and being kicked to the curb is Bullshit. People that don't give a rats ass about Mike is BULLSHIT as well.

Just don't be surprised, Look at the picture at the top of the page. I don't see Sammy. I don't see Gary. I don't see Wolfgang. Sammy caught another free ride. Musical Soul Brother was used and discarded. Wolfgang is inherting a membership to a band his father let die on the vine.

I'll say this again and I'll say it over and over again. Van Halen WAS David Lee Roth, Eddie Van Halen, Alex Van Halen and Michael Anthony. Lose one member and you have a SOUL-LESS shell of it's former self. What do you have when you lose two members of the once mighty Van Halen?

You get three Halens, some rumors, a sales pitch, a sickly guitar magazine cover and NO NEW MUSIC!

IronicA
January 10th, 2007, 11:40 AM
Bitching about people bitching about Michael Anthony not being in Van Halen anymore is like trying to highlight Sammy Hagars contributions to Van Halen on a CLASSIC VAN HALEN web site. I'm proud of SUM's stance. I too will not go see The David and Eddie Varity hour show.

This is a Classic Van Halen site. This isn't some KNOB ON EDDIES EGO SITE or some militant Dave army site. This site is about the band, VAN HALEN circa 1974 - 1984. Everything that came after 1984 is BULLSHIT. Sammy Hagar is Bullshit. Gary Cherone is Bullshit. The 1996 MTV awards were Bullshit. Both Best of's were Bullshit. The 2004 tour was Bullshit. Mike signing his rights away to Van Halen and being kicked to the curb is Bullshit. People that don't give a rats ass about Mike is BULLSHIT as well.

Just don't be surprised, Look at the picture at the top of the page. I don't see Sammy. I don't see Gary. I don't see Wolfgang. Sammy caught another free ride. Musical Soul Brother was used and discarded. Wolfgang is inherting a membership to a band his father let die on the vine.

I'll say this again and I'll say it over and over again. Van Halen WAS David Lee Roth, Eddie Van Halen, Alex Van Halen and Michael Anthony. Lose one member and you have a SOUL-LESS shell of it's former self. What do you have when you lose two members of the once mighty Van Halen?

You get three Halens, some rumors, a sales pitch, a sickly guitar magazine cover and NO NEW MUSIC!

I agree .. except, you missed the part where Dave left and KILLED Van Halen in 1984.

Also, is it a fact that Mike was kicked ? .. maybe he just quit.

I might start blaming Mike for this full reunion not happ'ning.

i1sum2!
January 10th, 2007, 11:50 AM
I agree .. except, you missed the part where Dave left and KILLED Van Halen in 1984.

I might start blaming Mike for this full reunion not happ'ning.

Dave left because the VH Bros didn't want to do anything anymore. Same thing with Mike. That's why he split with Hagar, because of their laziness. At least Mike was going to be busy alongside Hagar and not watching the grass grow! Dave truly was right when he said that the VH Bros are gatdamned lazy and guilty of wasting time.

I wouldn't blame Mike if he has quit. Why would you want to do another tour with someone who isn't professional any longer and is constantly drunk? I wouldn't. Plus, take a paycut?

punkatomic
January 10th, 2007, 11:50 AM

I might start blaming Mike for this full reunion not happ'ning.Yes Dave left, but it was Eddie's decision to keep Van Halen alive. I wish Van Halen, the band, had just passed on without a whimper. Would be easier to resurrect Van Halen without all the Sammy and Gary luggage attached to it. Don't you think?

Mike quit? Mike was Fired? Haven't we seen this movie before?

Does it matter? I would have quit too if I was told, "Yeah you can tour with us. But first you have to sign over all your rights to Van Halen." Again, I have to ask, does it matter? Fired or quit? It both spells out, "KICKED TO THE CURB" to me!

IronicA
January 10th, 2007, 12:00 PM
Yes Dave left, but it was Eddie's decision to keep Van Halen alive. I wish Van Halen, the band, had just passed on without a whimper. Would be easier to resurrect Van Halen without all the Sammy and Gary luggage attached to it. Don't you think?

Mike quit? Mike was Fired? Haven't we seen this movie before?

Does it matter? I would have quit too if I was told, "Yeah you can tour with us. But first you have to sign over all your rights to Van Halen." Again, I have to ask, does it matter? Fired or quit? It both spells out, "KICKED TO THE CURB" to me!

I had an argument with dear ol' Steph a few moons back about the VH name ~ I said Ed should have "Shut-up Shop" on the name.

There is a big difference between being fired or quitting. One implies that it is Ed's fault, the other that it is Mikes fault.

So, its OK for Mike not to care about the true VH fans, cos he's not going to earn as much from any future venture?...that's selfish.

IronicA
January 10th, 2007, 12:06 PM
Dave left because the VH Bros didn't want to do anything anymore. Same thing with Mike. That's why he split with Hagar, because of their laziness. At least Mike was going to be busy alongside Hagar and not watching the grass grow! Dave truly was right when he said that the VH Bros are gatdamned lazy and guilty of wasting time.

I wouldn't blame Mike if he has quit. Why would you want to do another tour with someone who isn't professional any longer and is constantly drunk? I wouldn't. Plus, take a paycut?

Do it for the Fans... for "Closure" or go play ChickenFoot with Sammy, which would you do ?

punkatomic
January 10th, 2007, 12:06 PM
Is it it me or is anyone else sick of reading how Van Halen made the "JUMP" to the RNRHOF? It's like the reporters have been waiting for a chance at using the verb, JUMP, when it comes to Van Halen!

WOuld be refreshing to read something like:

Van Halen, unchained and heading to the Hall of fame...

Van Halen will be dancing the night away come March 12th....

Van Halen wanted some. Now it's got it.

Van Halen is Hot for Hall of Fame.

Van Halen said "I'll Wait". Looks like the waiting has paid off.....

Van Halen Comes Walking In. I know.....sad....

unchainedguitars
January 10th, 2007, 12:10 PM
WOULD Y'ALL SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT DAVE LEAVING BECAUSE THE BAND SUDDENLEY BECAME LAZY!!!!
If you half a tenth of a brain you understand that is the biggest cop-out ever, and if Dave really said that, he is way outta line.
They toured & recorded, toured & recorded, from 78-84....
Is that lazy, Sum?!
Is that lazy, Punkatomic?!
Ed fucking worked his ass off, as did the rest of 'em.
God forbid, the guy gets a few months to sit down & write & recharge the creative juices.
Poor Dave, having to wait so long for Ed to write the actual songs...again!
I wonder if Mike Anthony plays video games or shoots some pool while Ed comes up with the new material.
Tough life, no wonder Dave had to run.

i1sum2!
January 10th, 2007, 12:14 PM
Do it for the Fans... for "Closure" or go play ChickenFoot with Sammy, which would you do ?

He said back at the first of last year in the Burn interview that he only did the 2004 tour because it may be the last time to perform as a member of Van Halen, as the situation with Dave was probably never going to materialize. He signed his rights away to play. So, yes, at the moment in time, it was closure in a way.

And arguing about Mike being in a band called chickenfoot is weak at best. He's staying busy at least and not letting moss grow under his feet unlike someone else.

unchainedguitars
January 10th, 2007, 12:18 PM
Well, looks like Mike was wrong.
It was pretty obvious they would eventually reunite with Dave, so i'm not sure why MA thought 2004 was his last chance.
Do you think that while Ed was writing "Top Jimmy" for the 1984 album, Mike was asking the roadies if they wanted to play some Donkey Kong?

IronicA
January 10th, 2007, 12:27 PM
He said back at the first of last year in the Burn interview that he only did the 2004 tour because it may be the last time to perform as a member of Van Halen, as the situation with Dave was probably never going to materialize. He signed his rights away to play. So, yes, at the moment in time, it was closure in a way.

And arguing about Mike being in a band called chickenfoot is weak at best. He's staying busy at least and not letting moss grow under his feet unlike someone else.

Ed's the composer, Mikes an above-average gigging bass player.. how can we even make comparisons about work ethics.

Mike should re-pay both his fans and Ed for putting him where he is. He has apparently chosen ChickenFoot over VH.

i1sum2!
January 10th, 2007, 12:34 PM
Mike should re-pay both his fans and Ed for putting him where he is. He has apparently chosen ChickenFoot over VH.

I disagree, as Ed never had to choose Michael Anthony as his bass player to start with. I don't feel that Mike owes me or anybody anything. He played the 04 tour thinking it was his last with Van Halen. I would choose playing in a band that doesn't have any hangups over VH anyday.

punkatomic
January 10th, 2007, 12:45 PM
Ed's the composer, Mikes an above-average gigging bass player.. how can we even make comparisons about work ethics.

Mike should re-pay both his fans and Ed for putting him where he is. He has apparently chosen ChickenFoot over VH.ChickenFoot over VH? Gee, I wonder why? Why can't Mike, a simple bass player work with a guitar god like Eddie Van Halen? Eddie Van Halen is such a great guy! Just that fact alone should tell you what it must be like to play with the great EDWARD VAN HALEN. Mike would rather jam with the Sammy Hagar then jam with Eddie. That says it all....

Please don't even start to compare work ethics between Eddie and Mike. As much as I don't like it, Mike is working. What the hell is Eddie doing? Remixing another Greatest hits FAN SHAKE DOWN CD? We knew he is plotting a tour to get in your pockets. Again, being consistent, NO NEW MUSIC on the horizon.

5150, OU812, F.U.C.K., Right Here Right Now, Balance, and Van Halen 3. Five studios albums, one Live album and TWO Best of's in 27 years. Three FORMER lead singers to accomplish that feat.

Right now! Van Halen has giving the world 3 new songs since 1998. Please don't go on about Eddie's Work Ethics. Has a ring of lazyness to me....

IronicA
January 10th, 2007, 12:48 PM
ChickenFoot over VH? Gee, I wonder why? Why can't Mike, a simple bass player work with a guitar god like Eddie Van Halen? Eddie Van Halen is such a great guy! Just that fact alone should tell you what it must be like to play with the great EDWARD VAN HALEN. Mike would rather jam with the Sammy Hagar then jam with Eddie. That says it all....

Please don't even start to compare work ethics between Eddie and Mike. As much as I don't like it, Mike is working. What the hell is Eddie doing? Remixing another Greatest hits FAN SHAKE DOWN CD? We knew he is plotting a tour to get in your pockets. Again, being consistent, NO NEW MUSIC on the horizon.

5150, OU812, F.U.C.K., Right Here Right Now, Balance, and Van Halen 3. Five studios albums, one Live album and TWO Best of's in 27 years. Three FORMER lead singers to accomplish that feat.

Right now! Van Halen has giving the world 3 new songs since 1998. Please don't go on about Eddie's Work Ethics. Has a ring of lazyness to me....

And what has MA given us ?

punkatomic
January 10th, 2007, 12:59 PM
And what has MA given us ?Well, first off. He gave us HOT SAUCE. Something that Mike feels the world doesn't have enough of. He's also gave thirty plus years of his life in a band he called home. Mike gave us a level head when being hot headed was the norm. Mike gave Eddie loyalty to a point. Mike gave us a fountation to the music we love.

Michael Anthony was only a bass player for a band called Van Halen. What was Mike supposed to do? Just sit back and wait and wait and wait and wait and wait for a call from Eddie? Watch their last show in 2004. And you tell me that Van Halen's future was bright?

IronicA
January 10th, 2007, 01:06 PM
Well, first off. He gave us HOT SAUCE. Something that Mike feels the world doesn't have enough of. He's also gave thirty plus years of his life in a band he called home. Mike gave us a level head when being hot headed was the norm. Mike gave Eddie loyalty to a point. Mike gave us a fountation to the music we love.

Michael Anthony was only a bass player for a band called Van Halen. What was Mike supposed to do? Just sit back and wait and wait and wait and wait and wait for a call from Eddie? Watch their last show in 2004. And you tell me that Van Halen's future was bright?

I ain't gonna fall into the trap of dissing MA...no way. I initially suggested that maybe Mike had decided to quit, whatever the reason(s).

Ed is going forward with something and I believe that something could of included MA ~ MA has invalidated the Reunion dream.

MA's past was with VH, why not his future ? ... take the shit MA not just the glory!

i1sum2!
January 10th, 2007, 01:13 PM
Mike at least uses his website to communicate with his fans! And, we'll probably be hearing some new music from him in the not so distant future I would say.

teckhoff
January 10th, 2007, 01:17 PM
There is precedence for not inducting a "replacement" lead singer into the RRHOF: Black Sabbath. Ronnie James Dio was not inducted as part of the band.

I know the breadth of Spammy's work in Van Hagar is much greater than Dio's in Sabbath, but if Eddie and Alex wanted an out they have one.

To me (and many others), they are two distict bands. Once Roth (and Ted Templeton) were no longer involved, the band began to suck (IMO).

punkatomic
January 10th, 2007, 01:19 PM
I ain't gonna fall into the trap of dissing MA...no way. I initially suggested that maybe Mike had decided to quit, whatever the reason(s).

Ed is going forward with something and I believe that something could of included MA ~ MA has invalidated the Reunion dream.

MA's past was with VH, why not his future ? ... take the shit MA not just the glory!Why did Mike quit? If Mike quit to become a world leader in contiments. Then we can say that Mike has invalidated a reunion dream. However, Mike was forced out. That is different then just quitting to quit.

Mike believes that Van Halen has NO future. Think about that. He believed it so much that he signed his rights away to play one last time with the band he helped put on the map.

I believe that Mike had enough of the shit. He walked the company line when Dave left. He did it again when Sammy was dismissed. And yet again, after that musical soul brother crap. I think Mike didn't want anymore of the shit.

punkatomic
January 10th, 2007, 01:23 PM
There is precedence for not inducting a "replacement" lead singer into the RRHOF: Black Sabbath. Ronnie James Dio was not inducted as part of the band.

I know the breadth of Spammy's work in Van Hagar is much greater than Dio's in Sabbath, but if Eddie and Alex wanted an out they have one.

To me (and many others), they are two distict bands. Once Roth (and Ted Templeton) were no longer involved, the band began to suck (IMO).Thanks for the bit of news, teck! I didn't know that about Ronnie James Dio!

I would look at Eddie in a whole new light if he denied Sammy's induction to the hall. Fucking A. He would set alot of things right by making that decision. Is it right? Van Hagar had their fans, I guess. However, I believe Van Halen would have made the Hall of shame without ever putting out another album after 1984!

Also, I couldn't agree more with the Dave and Ted comment.

Nice post Teck!

IronicA
January 10th, 2007, 01:31 PM
Why did Mike quit? If Mike quit to become a world leader in contiments. Then we can say that Mike has invalidated a reunion dream. However, Mike was forced out. That is different then just quitting to quit.

Mike believes that Van Halen has NO future. Think about that. He believed it so much that he signed his rights away to play one last time with the band he helped put on the map.

I believe that Mike had enough of the shit. He walked the company line when Dave left. He did it again when Sammy was dismissed. And yet again, after that musical soul brother crap. I think Mike didn't want anymore of the shit.

I, for one, do not believe MA was forced out.

I, for one, believe MA "Owes ~ Big Time."

ChickenFoot ..hmmmm, very apt ;maybe that's some kind of subconscious slip from Mike and Sammy ?

teckhoff
January 10th, 2007, 01:47 PM
I don't think MA was "forced out" either. I think he just got tired of kissing Eddie's ass and having to toe the company line.

As for the "reunion", I think it is quite telling that DLR has been very quiet and trying to dispell any rumors of the reunion. His whole career he's been a "carnival baker", and now nothing. Perhaps, he's trying not to make the same mistake he made earlier when VH and DLR appeared at the MTV Music Awards.

If I learned one thing from that experience it is that Eddie wants to control the band's direction now. The days for sharing the spot light and the power with anyone else are over. If your last name is not Van Halen your just a hired gun.

brianp88
January 10th, 2007, 02:18 PM

I understand where you're coming from. If I had my wish, Both Dave and Mike would rejoin the band. I wish they could all get along. I wish they'd release the Oakland show and then get back in the studio with Ted Templeman and Donn Landee and make more records in the same style as the six pack. However, as much as I'd like to see this happen, the reality of the matter is it ain't gonna happen. So you've got two choices. You could bitch whine and moan that the original group is gone for good and that no matter what else happens it will suck because it ain't the original four OR you can accept reality and enjoy what the future holds.

I realize this is a Classic Van Halen site and the classic members are only Ed, Al, Dave & Mike. But, the next incarnation of Van Halen is probably going to come as close to the original sound that we're heard since 1984. I'm going to enjoy it and be happy, instead of harping on decisions made by band members I don't necessarily agree with. You can't change it. I can't change it. I can either bitch about it or to enjoy the guitar playing of Eddie Van Halen, the singing of DLR and the drumming of Alex Van Halen and the bass playing of Wolfgang, if he's any good. I choose to enjoy.

brianp88
January 10th, 2007, 02:31 PM

To me (and many others), they are two distict bands. Once Roth (and Ted Templeton) were no longer involved, the band began to suck (IMO).

Did Eddie and Alex even have the option of getting "an out?" I don't think so. It's the Hall of Fame Committee that makes the decision of which members of a band are Hall worthy. I don't think Ed and Al got to pick and choose. Imagine if John Fogarty and Debbie Harry could pick which members of their bands got in. John hated everyone in CCR and wouldn't even play with them at CCR's induction. Debbie Harry played with the original drummer and two new members of Blondie at the induction ceremony, even though all of Blondie's original members were inducted...

teckhoff
January 10th, 2007, 02:59 PM
Brianp88- you're right the RRHOF choose who gets inducted-

Maybe I missed it somewhere (it is very possible because I only read one article), but where did it say anything more than Van Halen was inducted into the RRHOF? Did any official announcement name each inductee from the band yet?

Eddie and Alex certainly have an out when it comes to who (if anyone) will perform at the ceremony. Your Blondie example is fitting here.

I personally think the only way Spammy deserves to get in the RRHOF is if he buys a ticket like the rest of us.

unchainedguitars
January 10th, 2007, 03:13 PM
The Boston Globe listed the inductees as Sammy, Dave, Edward, Alex & Mike (no Cherbaloney or whoever else).
Radio mentioned Gene Simmons would get the offer to present them.
Can you imagine the speech on Ed's contributions to guitar, alone?

brianp88
January 10th, 2007, 03:22 PM
Brianp88- you're right the RRHOF choose who gets inducted-

Maybe I missed it somewhere (it is very possible because I only read one article), but where did it say anything more than Van Halen was inducted into the RRHOF? Did any official announcement name each inductee from the band yet?

Eddie and Alex certainly have an out when it comes to who (if anyone) will perform at the ceremony. Your Blondie example is fitting here.

I personally think the only way Spammy deserves to get in the RRHOF is if he buys a ticket like the rest of us.

Yeah, there was an official announcement by the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. You can see it here: http://www.rockhall.com/museum/releases.asp?id=2544

It lists Ed, Al, Dave, Mike and Sammy as members that get inducted. I'm not thrilled with the Sammy part either, but it is what it is...

teckhoff
January 10th, 2007, 03:24 PM
I cannot imagine Gene Simmons giving a speech that does not focus on anything other than Gene Simmons.

We'll have Gene trying to sell Kiss Coffins, Spammy selling tequila, and MA hauking Hot Sauce at the ceremony. Classic rock to Classic Capitalism!!!

wannabemandolinhero
January 10th, 2007, 04:06 PM
I just hope they don't end up playing "Jump" at the ceremony - if they play at all. So tired of that song being used to define Van Halen. I am thinking of Van Halens' guest with that Kenny Chestnut guy and Dave's bluegrass performance. They have so many other and better songs to play. Don't play "Jump" just because it is the most well-known of their songs. But I bet they end up playing "Jump" - if they play at all.

unchainedguitars
January 10th, 2007, 04:28 PM
The worst part will be a very serious & somber Michael Stipe standing in the corner singing, "Can't you see me standing there, i got my back against the record machine..."

i1sum2!
January 10th, 2007, 04:50 PM
They'll wheel all of 'em out on stage in KISS coffins and say we're thru!

unchainedguitars
January 10th, 2007, 05:39 PM
Ed will mention something regarding his son.
"I officially pass the torch to my son....VH will live for a new generation!"
Then Michael Anthony will add, "And for each generation is the art of the BBQ. How to perfect our summertime obsession? Well, i've got the answer...for a limited time buy one bottle of Mad anthony's hot...."

i1sum2!
January 10th, 2007, 05:50 PM
I just hope they don't end up playing "Jump" at the ceremony - if they play at all. So tired of that song being used to define Van Halen. I am thinking of Van Halens' guest with that Kenny Chestnut guy and Dave's bluegrass performance. They have so many other and better songs to play. Don't play "Jump" just because it is the most well-known of their songs. But I bet they end up playing "Jump" - if they play at all.

Unfortunately, Jump will probably be the chosen song. Because it's so well known and crosses from the rock genre over to pop. I'd give anything to hear something with attitude though! Then close out with Happy Trails.

wannabemandolinhero
January 10th, 2007, 09:56 PM
Unfortunately, Jump will probably be the chosen song. Because it's so well known and crosses from the rock genre over to pop. I'd give anything to hear something with attitude though! Then close out with Happy Trails.

You're right, and I'd put my money on it. I don't even consider that a guitar-oriented song, which goes against the grain of Van Halen's strength. But, being that it seems youthful and fashionable to mimic the 80's in various ways, an electronic keyboard would match the scheme well. And then you'll have some young punk chump introduce the band, with his hair plastered against or around his head as if he just pulled it out of a horse's asshole.

big black rod
January 11th, 2007, 06:57 AM
It can't be any worse than when Blondie was inducted, and one of the ex-band members-I can't remember which one-hey, it was fuckin' BLONDIE- slithered up to the podium and BEGGED Deborah Harry to let him play during the induction set, and Deborah treated him like gum on her shoe. CVH is a force of nature, a cultural maelstrom the likes of which this country has never seen before or since. Van Hagar, on its best day, can only aspire to be Journey on steroids...PEACE.

Simon Ribeiro
January 11th, 2007, 07:17 AM

Man, I think they will put "Runnin' With the Devil".
I got the feeling!

vhrothfan
January 13th, 2007, 02:26 PM
I wonder what songs they will perform.

EVH_Erupted
January 14th, 2007, 11:59 AM
They'll open it up wiht something cool and popular like " Panama", someother stuff, then end it with "happy trails" LOL or "Dance the Night Away"

toratora
January 17th, 2007, 01:05 AM

That's what Im talking about. Are the Van Halen brothers ideals so sacred that they cant get together for one or two songs? THey dont even have to hang out together. I think they should just suck it up and do the songs. You only get inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame once and they may as well show that they can be adults and show why they were once considered one of the best and most entertaining rock bands of all time.

I think the problem is that they'll have to rehearse together from anywhere between 5-6 hours to two days or more so the songs sound great. That's enough time for a lead singer to get on anyone's nerves (trust me I know). And then to have to deal with two of the them (and a Michael Anthony) is something Ed and Alex arent looking forward to.

big black rod
January 17th, 2007, 02:29 PM
"The Police did it. Ozzy played with Black Sabbath at their induction. It can be done, if only for one friggin' night!"

Didn't you hear? The Police are planning a 30 year anniversary tour! What, you thought Sting was gonna leave all that money out there after he made that stupid-ass "lute" album? Sheeiiittt...PEACE.

punkatomic
January 17th, 2007, 04:56 PM
Damn, you type Van Halen into google news and all you get is Sammy this and Sammy that. This is Sammy Hagar at his best. Riding coat tails, promoting himself and yapping at anyone that would listen.

What did he do that was Hall worthy with Van Halen?

i1sum2!
January 17th, 2007, 06:03 PM
Damn, you type Van Halen into google news and all you get is Sammy this and Sammy that. This is Sammy Hagar at his best. Riding coat tails, promoting himself and yapping at anyone that would listen.

What did he do that was Hall worthy with Van Halen?

Same thing happens over at youtube punk. Pisses me off for sure dude.

yadayadayadaya

Prettywoman5150
July 26th, 2007, 10:21 PM
I just got home from the RRHOF (7-26) Let me tell you how disappointed I was with the Van Halen showcase. Ed's guitar, Sammy's Guitar, Mikey's Bass, a shirt of Mikey's and some notes on the song it's about time And Their first album cover. B-O-R-I-N-G........... I was actually a little disappointed with the whole RRHOF. Also, no pics were allowed I was hoping to post pics for you guys but they wouldn't even let ya bring in your camera, you had to check it like you would a coat!

A.J. MASSEY
July 26th, 2007, 10:33 PM
I figured that would be the case. A sorry induction, a sorry showcase.

i1sum2!
July 27th, 2007, 09:07 AM
I just got home from the RRHOF (7-26) Let me tell you how disappointed I was with the Van Halen showcase. Ed's guitar, Sammy's Guitar, Mikey's Bass, a shirt of Mikey's and some notes on the song it's about time And Their first album cover. B-O-R-I-N-G........... I was actually a little disappointed with the whole RRHOF. Also, no pics were allowed I was hoping to post pics for you guys but they wouldn't even let ya bring in your camera, you had to check it like you would a coat!

Then it must really be just like everyone has said before. That's a bummer. Isn't each item(s) donated by the band? Whatever they want to give? I can recall seeing a guitar at the Hard Rock Tahoe that was supposedly Ed's, but looked like nothing he's ever owned or would play. Had his name on it though. Maybe they just give the throwaway items to these places?

Scottie Hutch
July 27th, 2007, 11:31 AM
I haven't really heard too many good things about the HOF. Thanks for the update on it. I was wondering how VH's display was.

NE169
July 29th, 2007, 06:46 PM
I always thought the RRHOF was a sham, now it's confirmed.

Sorry you had to waste your $$$ PW.

Prettywoman5150
August 1st, 2007, 02:06 PM
Yeah, It cost us $51.00 to get in too!

punkatomic
August 1st, 2007, 03:48 PM
Yeah, It cost us $51.00 to get in too!WHat would you have done had it cost you 50 more cents?

i1sum2!
August 1st, 2007, 04:59 PM
WHat would you have done had it cost you 50 more cents?

I had to laugh at that punk!:D

Hey PW, did you ask them for a full refund as you were leaving? I was wondering if they have any of those comment cards thru out the place as well?

Prettywoman5150
August 1st, 2007, 05:46 PM
No, No refunds! DOH! No comment cards either, I may e-mail them though. Live and Learn I guess.

Punk, when they said $51.00 total, I said why couldn't it be $51.50, the extra $.50 would have been worth it for that.

i1sum2!
August 1st, 2007, 06:20 PM
No, No refunds! DOH! No comment cards either, I may e-mail them though. Live and Learn I guess.

Punk, when they said $51.00 total, I said why couldn't it be $51.50, the extra $.50 would have been worth it for that.

Have a Coke and a smile for all your troubles PW!

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b127/swapmeetlouie/2w51xci_671.jpg

Prettywoman5150
August 1st, 2007, 06:38 PM
THANKS for the pic............LOVE it!:)

i1sum2!
August 1st, 2007, 06:40 PM
THANKS for the pic............LOVE it!:)

Your welcome PW.;)