PDA

View Full Version : Kool addition to Van Halen tour

punkatomic
March 9th, 2012, 10:22 PM
"...We’re still doing 100 shows a year,” he (Robert “Kool” Bell of Kool & The Gang) said. “Now there’s talk of us going to Europe with Van Halen this summer. And we may record a song together later this year called ‘Harley Davidson.’ ”

Bell says the two bands haven’t hung out beyond watching each other rehearse, but he and Eddie have plenty to talk about when they get the chance.
“We know about troubles with lead singers,” Bell said, adding a laugh. “J.T. has been in and out of this band many times. -(Eddie) and I both know how to carry on...”

http://news.bostonherald.com/entertainment/music/general/view/20220309kool_addition_to_vh_tour/srvc=home&position=also

Simon Ribeiro
March 19th, 2012, 03:08 PM
Big fan of Kool & the Gang here.

Great to know these guys are still there playing great music.

And opening for the Mighty One as well!

Thanks for the link, Punk! :thumbs-up:

ravennaloveseddie
March 19th, 2012, 07:30 PM
My first thought, when I heard Kool & the Gang were opening was, "uh....what?" Then I thought about it again, and it does make a warped kind of sense. Just like Robert Bell says in the article, they're both the ultimate party bands of their decades...so, why not? The 70's took me from age 10 up to 18, and I remember really liking some of Kool & the Gang's songs during that time....of course, once I hit 17 and heard the Mighty =VH= for the first time, I kinda forgot about everyone else for awhile....:colgate:

Trying not to go overboard with my hopes here, but I'm quite jazzed to hear Mr. Bell speak of a Van Halen tour going to Europe this summer...Oh Iro...George Chicken Kiev....Dolgun....and any of our other European buddies....didja hear that?? There's talk of it happening!! Keeping my fingers crossed for you guys, that would be beyond awesome!!! :05:

Simon Ribeiro
March 20th, 2012, 06:44 AM
My first thought, when I heard Kool & the Gang were opening was, "uh....what?" Then I thought about it again, and it does make a warped kind of sense. Just like Robert Bell says in the article, they're both the ultimate party bands of their decades...so, why not? The 70's took me from age 10 up to 18, and I remember really liking some of Kool & the Gang's songs during that time....of course, once I hit 17 and heard the Mighty =VH= for the first time, I kinda forgot about everyone else for awhile....

Trying not to go overboard with my hopes here, but I'm quite jazzed to hear Mr. Bell speak of a Van Halen tour going to Europe this summer...Oh Iro...George Chicken Kiev....Dolgun....and any of our other European buddies....didja hear that?? There's talk of it happening!! Keeping my fingers crossed for you guys, that would be beyond awesome!!!

Please, keep your other hand with fingers crossed as well so they would tour the world including South America in their way. :tounge:

Sinner Swing 32
March 20th, 2012, 07:50 AM
Did anyone else catch the line in the interview that mentions a potential Van Halen / Kool and the Gang collaboration - "Harley Davidson"? How cool would that be? The pure rock sound of Van Halen with the stellar horn section of Kool and the Gang?

Simon Ribeiro
March 20th, 2012, 12:56 PM
Did anyone else catch the line in the interview that mentions a potential Van Halen / Kool and the Gang collaboration - "Harley Davidson"? How cool would that be? The pure rock sound of Van Halen with the stellar horn section of Kool and the Gang?

Is that true?

Humm, sounds pretty interesting to me Sinner! :thumbs-up:

Sinner Swing 32
March 20th, 2012, 01:28 PM
"And we may record a song together later this year called ‘Harley Davidson.’ ”

This leads me to believe it is true. Given the amount of down time between gigs it wouldn't surprise me if the bands mingle and come up with something. One of the guitarists from Kool and the Gang is using an EVH Stealth so at some point he must have demo'd it - maybe through EVH's rig. Plus, DLR really pushed to have them on the bill. It would be an interesting collaboration for sure.

punkatomic
March 20th, 2012, 07:32 PM
Kind of funny.

I posted this for the possible Europeon tour and the collaboration of a new song remark thinking that was kind of big deal.

I hope Van Halen goes on a world tour. Excuse me, they BETTER go on a world tour. The fans deserve it.

As for the song, Harley Davidson?

That's a bold remark.

Jungle Drummer
March 20th, 2012, 07:43 PM
Please, keep your other hand with fingers crossed as well so they would tour the world including South America in their way. :tounge:

I've read that ADKOT is selling well in Brazil. It would be sweet to see VH head back down there after so many years.

Nelah
March 20th, 2012, 08:45 PM

All fingers and toes crossed for you Simon... I sure hope you get the opportunity to see them this year!!!

ravennaloveseddie
March 21st, 2012, 01:08 AM

Oh absolutely, Simon!! For both you and Bella, I will cross my other hand's fingers, AND some of my toes!!! Hahahaha!

IronicA
March 21st, 2012, 11:27 AM
I would tie my willy in a bow if it would make a difference.

Seriously though, this is something (at last) that all of us, outside of North America, have been waiting to hear.
In traditional VH fashion we hear of it from another party. So, it's true to form.
It's a starting point for some dialogue on this subject, at least. Yes, Rav! It's out there!
Let's hope we get some official dialogue soon, to follow this up. Something concrete.

Thanks for finding this, Punk!

Simon Ribeiro
March 21st, 2012, 01:47 PM
I've read that ADKOT is selling well in Brazil. It would be sweet to see VH head back down there after so many years.

Well, I guess I've been doing my part - 05 copies so far! :tounge:

Simon Ribeiro
March 21st, 2012, 01:51 PM
All fingers and toes crossed for you Simon... I sure hope you get the opportunity to see them this year!!!

Yeah, we'll see how things are going on regarding to a tour outside the US/Canada sooner.

Thanks for the heads up! :thumbs-up:

Simon Ribeiro
March 21st, 2012, 01:53 PM
Oh absolutely, Simon!! For both you and Bella, I will cross my other hand's fingers, AND some of my toes!!! Hahahaha!

Ha! Good one, Rav!

Hopefully The Mighty One will have, at least, 01 date in São Paulo city (less than 1000 miles from where we live) for another South American Assault just like in 1983. We'll see!

KTC5150
March 21st, 2012, 01:58 PM
I truly hope for the worldwide fands, here in this forum, and all others, for that matter that VH makes this a true WORLD TOUR!!!
Then they can do a few festivals, too, and co-headline it w/ someone like Alice Cooper, and.... OOPS, WAIT.... :tounge:too soon?:57:)

Mallonmusic
March 21st, 2012, 05:34 PM
"...We’re still doing 100 shows a year,” he (Robert “Kool” Bell of Kool & The Gang) said. “Now there’s talk of us going to Europe with Van Halen this summer. And we may record a song together later this year called ‘Harley Davidson.’ ”

Bell says the two bands haven’t hung out beyond watching each other rehearse, but he and Eddie have plenty to talk about when they get the chance.
“We know about troubles with lead singers,” Bell said, adding a laugh. “J.T. has been in and out of this band many times. -(Eddie) and I both know how to carry on...”

http://news.bostonherald.com/entertainment/music/general/view/20220309kool_addition_to_vh_tour/srvc=home&position=also

A song called "Harley Davidson" evokes the same inner feeling i got when i heard of a certain song called "Tattoo". And i'm sure both songs will be neither shocking, cutting edge or relevant as they may think:badidea:

ravennaloveseddie
March 21st, 2012, 06:25 PM
I would tie my willy in a bow if it would make a difference.

Seriously though, this is something (at last) that all of us, outside of North America, have been waiting to hear.
In traditional VH fashion we hear of it from another party. So, it's true to form.
It's a starting point for some dialogue on this subject, at least. Yes, Rav! It's out there!
Let's hope we get some official dialogue soon, to follow this up. Something concrete.

Thanks for finding this, Punk!

Ouch!! That sounds a little harsh, Iro!

It also sounds like a bad country song, a la unchainedguitars....

"I would tie my willy in a bow
If it would make a difference.
I would shut my fingers in the do'
Yeah I would go the distance
To show you that my love for you is truuuuuuuueeee--
There's nothing that's
Too painful for me to dooooooooo!!"

Jungle Drummer
March 22nd, 2012, 12:22 AM
Well, I guess I've been doing my part - 05 copies so far! :tounge:

:thumbs-up:Awesome, you have me beat by two copies! I bought my sister and niece their copies but only have one so far for me. But I'm sure I will have mine wore out pretty quick and will need a backup.:tounge:

Simon Ribeiro
March 22nd, 2012, 07:53 AM
Awesome, you have me beat by two copies! I bought my sister and niece their copies but only have one so far for me. But I'm sure I will have mine wore out pretty quick and will need a backup.

I got mine and my kids as well.

And the other 02 copies are gifts for some friends we have here! :thumbs-up:

jane
March 23rd, 2012, 04:13 AM

Keep my fingers crossed..41731 ..( Unchained you might be right after all ; )

IronicA
March 23rd, 2012, 10:01 PM
Ouch!! That sounds a little harsh, Iro!

It also sounds like a bad country song, a la unchainedguitars....

"I would tie my willy in a bow
If it would make a difference.
I would shut my fingers in the do'
Yeah I would go the distance
To show you that my love for you is truuuuuuuueeee--
There's nothing that's
Too painful for me to dooooooooo!!"

A perfect vehicle for any country singer called ''Big Willy''.

IronicA
March 23rd, 2012, 10:04 PM
Keep my fingers crossed..41731 ..( Unchained you might be right after all ; )

Buy that girl a pint!

Whoopsies... She already has one! Or is there 3 pints in that beermug, Jane?

ravennaloveseddie
March 23rd, 2012, 10:13 PM
A perfect vehicle for any country singer called ''Big Willy''.

Hahahaa!! Big Willy and the Bow Ties

They're famous down 'round Alabama way...maybe AJ know's 'em...probably cuts the drummer's lawn....

IronicA
March 23rd, 2012, 10:16 PM
Hahahaa!! Big Willy and the Bow Ties

They're famous down 'round Alabama way...maybe AJ know's 'em...probably cuts the drummer's lawn....

LMWO!

Special guests, The Alabama Trouser Snakes.

ravennaloveseddie
March 23rd, 2012, 10:29 PM
LMWO!

Special guests, The Alabama Trouser Snakes.

Hey!! I'm not a big country fan, but I think I've heard of them! Didn't they have a big hit with "Slithering All Night"?

IronicA
March 23rd, 2012, 10:34 PM
Hey!! I'm not a big country fan, but I think I've heard of them! Didn't they have a big hit with "Slithering All Night"?

Indeed they did, Rav.

"Hard to Love You", was a huge hit. (especially in female circles).

ravennaloveseddie
March 23rd, 2012, 10:44 PM
Indeed they did, Rav.

"Hard to Love You", was a huge hit. (especially in female circles).

Oh I remember that one too:

"It's hard to love you don't you know
You deserve the best
I'd like to make you forget the rest
'Cept I tied my willy in a bowwwwwwww!"

IronicA
March 23rd, 2012, 10:53 PM
Oh I remember that one too:

"It's hard to love you don't you know
You deserve the best
I'd like to make you forget the rest
'Cept I tied my willy in a bowwwwwwww!"

Oh Gawd... what have I done?

*self inflicted facepalm*

ravennaloveseddie
March 23rd, 2012, 11:04 PM
Oh Gawd... what have I done?

*self inflicted facepalm*

Hahahahaha! Ok, I'll stop now. Can't have you inflicting any more pain on yourself than you already threatened to....*grin*

IronicA
March 23rd, 2012, 11:19 PM
Hahahahaha! Ok, I'll stop now. Can't have you inflicting any more pain on yourself than you already threatened to....*grin*

*two-handed self-inflicted facepalm*