PDA

View Full Version : Valerie Bertinelli: THERE WOULD BE NO NEW VAN HALEN TOUR OR ALBUM WITHOUT WOLFGANG

wimpyliberalbuster32
March 8th, 2012, 07:17 PM
http://ultimateclassicrock.com/van-halen-wolfgang-valerie-bertinelli-interview/

Interesting read on Ultimate Classic Rock which pretty much confirms what most of us expected.

"She also addressed Van Halen fans upset that her son took over founding bassist Michael Anthony’s role in the band, and explained it’s the only way Eddie would be making musical publicly. “I loved Mike too, I thought he was a really nice guy, still do,” Bertinelli explains. “But the only way this tour is happening is because Eddie gets to play with his son Wolfie. Otherwise, this tour wouldn’t be going on, it really wouldn’t.”

She also says she has a good relationship with Dave, and any issues are "under the bridge."

Jungle Drummer
March 8th, 2012, 07:30 PM
Doesnt get much more clear cut than this.

Nelah
March 8th, 2012, 08:30 PM
Doesnt get much more clear cut than this.

Yup JD.... So clear.

I love the last line where Valerie points out that this is a dream come true for Ed. Sigh.....

I do not have children, however I can only imagine what it might be like to create, share and work alongside one's child. It actually gives me chills to know how fortunate we are to have Wolf here... For without him I am unsure what would have become of Ed.

Feeling oh so blessed, excited and inspired! Time for some ADKOT to cap off the night!

Cheers! ;)

unchainedguitars
March 8th, 2012, 11:04 PM
...AND 1SUM2! IS WRONG, YET AGAIN!

(When has the guy ever been right?)

I've stated this from the beginning, only to be told, "Bullshit! Not even close to the truth! Your Wrong!"

And i guarantee ya i'm also correct regarding an assortment of "Fair Warning" Bass tracks.

Thank you, Val!
This confirms what a lot of us already knew.

And, thank you, Wolfie!

vhfanjack
March 9th, 2012, 01:27 AM
...AND 1SUM2! IS WRONG, YET AGAIN!

(When has the guy ever been right?)

I've stated this from the beginning, only to be told, "Bullshit! Not even close to the truth! Your Wrong!"

And i guarantee ya i'm also correct regarding an assortment of "Fair Warning" Bass tracks.

Thank you, Val!

And, thank you, Wolfie!

Even Sammy has established some sort of fact on that. Pretty much done and dusted.

unchainedguitars
March 9th, 2012, 01:40 AM
Even Sammy has established some sort of fact on that. Pretty much done and dusted.

Just reading Val's interview, i realized ADKOT never would have been made, without Wolf.
It pains me in a way, because ADKOT is a great VH record, and it almost never was!
Eddie was over & done with it all, which is another reason i feel like this is it for the mighty VH.
Ed's not doing interviews, not doing Lettermen or RS, he doesn't care.
As Val stated, he just wants to play with his son.
Sales aren't that important to him, but playing with Wolf is.

Man...

I think this is it.

vhfanjack
March 9th, 2012, 01:59 AM
Just reading Val's interview, i realized ADKOT never would have been made, without Wolf.
It pains me in a way, because ADKOT is a great VH record, and it almost never was!
Eddie was over & done with it all, which is another reason i feel like this is it for the mighty VH.
Ed's not doing interviews, not doing Lettermen or RS, he doesn't care.
As Val stated, he just wants to play with his son.
Sales aren't that important to him, but playing with Wolf is.

Man...

I think this is it.

But then again, why would he just want to do it once? He might be thinking "holy shit, this is awesome!" and pursue it further. Who knows. Either that, or we get a "solo" album of him, Wolf and Al or nothing.

T.Rabbit
March 9th, 2012, 04:29 AM
Looking forward to reading this article later this evening. Thanks for posting it.

When I spoke to Wolfgang last summer, I thanked him for his role in getting his father back into making music. Also thanked him for his role in getting his dad, uncle, and Dave back together too. Mentioned how I bet he probably doesn't even know how much of a thrill he's probably giving his father currently. He said thank you and was very appreciative of my words. Just a humble person.

What I witnessed backstage recently was proof positive my comments last summer were correct. Ed talking music and also showing fatherly love/encouragement to his son. Cool to see.

Without Wolfgang there wouldn't have been a 2007 tour or a new album/tour in 2012. It's what I've been told a few years back. What a shame it would have been to never hear "A Different kind Of Truth". Month later and I still listen to it daily. A real treat that us fans are really enjoying.

Simon Ribeiro
March 9th, 2012, 05:56 AM

And, thank you, Wolfie!

Yep - Thank you, Wolfie!

Man, we've been discusing that Wolfie was/is the key to this whole stuff since ... 2006 already!

Michael Van Roth
March 9th, 2012, 07:23 AM
But then again, why would he just want to do it once? He might be thinking "holy shit, this is awesome!" and pursue it further. Who knows. Either that, or we get a "solo" album of him, Wolf and Al or nothing.

I'm thinking (hoping) along these lines. This could be a second wind for Eddie.

Incomudro
March 9th, 2012, 08:23 AM
I'm thinking (hoping) along these lines. This could be a second wind for Eddie.

Yeah, it doesn't have to mean that "this is it."
Of course, if ADKoT is the bands last recording and it's swan song tour - well, we couldn't have asked for anything better.
The band went out with a bang.
They are not like some boxer say, who is fighting again - but really shouldn't be in the ring.

Promotion or lack of it, this recording and tour rocks.
Wolfie and Edward (we don't even have to mention Dave) are clearly having a blast.
What if Wolfie wants to have another go?
Record more music?
I don't know what's going on under the surface, but I don't think that Ed would say no.

MonsterPlexi
March 9th, 2012, 08:30 AM
I'm guessing that part of all of this is to springboard Wolfie's career. I think he may develop his own project, where he plays guitar, after this tour. (or it's already developed) Ed will most likely produce the product, or mentor it.

Then Mikey will come back to VH. :tounge:

Ice Cream Man
March 9th, 2012, 01:36 PM
At the end of the 2004 tour there was a lot of talk that Eddie had smashed his guitar at the end of the last show. It made sense then, but it keeps getting even clearer. That WAS it. Smashing the guitar, which seemed totally out of character, was a real statement, "I'm done with this!"

Mike WAS there for "the end," just like he wanted to be! What we're seeing now is an "epilogue." And this also explains why Eddie's not doing interviews or TV appearances or worrying about chart positions. As long as he looks across the stage and sees Wolfgang, he's happy.

Jungle Drummer
March 9th, 2012, 02:55 PM

This is a good possibility, we can always hope. Especially if they dont care about sales or doing media, but just for the sheer joy of playing and creating music together.

Jungle Drummer
March 9th, 2012, 03:10 PM
Yup JD.... So clear.

I love the last line where Valerie points out that this is a dream come true for Ed. Sigh.....

I do not have children, however I can only imagine what it might be like to create, share and work alongside one's child. It actually gives me chills to know how fortunate we are to have Wolf here... For without him I am unsure what would have become of Ed.

Feeling oh so blessed, excited and inspired! Time for some ADKOT to cap off the night!

Cheers! ;)

Haha I always wished my Pop would have had his own business so I could have worked with him! As my parents get older, I savor the opportunities I have to spend with them. I'd hang out with them every day if it were possible.

wimpyliberalbuster32
March 9th, 2012, 04:30 PM
lol, new article now on Ultimate Classic Rock: "SAMMY HAGAR ON EDDIE VAN HALEN: ‘I DON’T HATE THE GUY. I LOVE THE GUY’"

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/sammy-hagar-on-eddie-van-halen-i-dont-hate-the-guy-i-love-the-guy/

Jesus! Every fucking day the fat boy has to open his tequila-breathed mouth! SHUT UP ALREADY!!

wimpyliberalbuster32
March 9th, 2012, 04:30 PM
What I want to know is, who are the dumbasses who keep asking him these questions!!?

Guitarfreak
March 9th, 2012, 05:34 PM
What I want to know is, who are the dumbasses who keep asking him these questions!!?
That is one thing I've pointed to a few times in my occasional defense of Hagar. He and Mike can't control what the harebrained interviewers decide to ask. I'm sure part of them would be glad to never have to beat the dead horse ever again, but it's what the gossip rags want to hear. If Eddie was doing any press about the tour or album, I'm sure he'd be similarly dismissive of his former bandmates' contributions.

Nelah
March 9th, 2012, 06:53 PM
Haha I always wished my Pop would have had his own business so I could have worked with him! As my parents get older, I savor the opportunities I have to spend with them. I'd hang out with them every day if it were possible.

Hey there JD... It's funny I never wanted to spend much time with my parents especially in my teenage years...fairly typical I suppose. As I got older, I too really enjoyed my time with them both. I take every chance I get to see my Dad (my Mom is no longer with us)... and spend tons of time with him at my cabin in the summer! Bliss.

I think it is beautiful watching the videos of Wolf and Eddie... I think MANY of us KNEW he was/is the key to the gifts we got this year from Van Halen.

I am eternally grateful.... yummy!!! :)

Mallonmusic
March 9th, 2012, 08:22 PM
So now its my turn to ruin the "Feel good movie of the year" here. Yea its great that Ed cares that much about his son and that this means a lot to him. No one would talk bad against it! BUT if Wolf is the only reason that Ed is doing this kind of takes some of the spark out of it dosent it? I mean If not for Wolf he wouldnt care about doing what he does best and or progressing on as a productive guitar player. And does that mean that he would stay in the VH Batcave while giving his career and his fans the cold shoulder forever? It kinda shows dosent it. Yea they sound great and we all love the new album, but need i say as always theres still more that they could be doing now? Why give it this much effort yet do little to promote it? I don't buy in to the lack of promotion as Ed only caring about taking his boy on a Million dollar road trip! But maybe its just me:57:

wimpyliberalbuster32
March 9th, 2012, 08:29 PM
So now its my turn to ruin the "Feel good movie of the year" here. Yea its great that Ed cares that much about his son and that this means a lot to him. No one would talk bad against it! BUT if Wolf is the only reason that Ed is doing this kind of takes some of the spark out of it dosent it? I mean If not for Wolf he wouldnt care about doing what he does best and or progressing on as a productive guitar player. And does that mean that he would stay in the VH Batcave while giving his career and his fans the cold shoulder forever? It kinda shows dosent it. Yea they sound great and we all love the new album, but need i say as always theres still more that they could be doing now? Why give it this much effort yet do little to promote it? I don't buy in to the lack of promotion as Ed only caring about taking his boy on a Million dollar road trip! But maybe its just me:57:

I would agree, but in the live clips Ed looks like he is truly having a good time.

Also, I have a hard time believing it's ONLY Wolfgang that inspires him to play.
It may have been the biggest factor, but what about his own brother, Alex?
I'm sure deep down he cares for Dave and enjoys playing with him.
Doesn't he want to promote his EVH Gear?

Mallonmusic
March 9th, 2012, 08:33 PM
I would agree, but in the live clips Ed looks like he is truly having a good time.

Also, I have a hard time believing it's ONLY Wolfgang that inspires him to play.
It may have been the biggest factor, but what about his own brother, Alex?
I'm sure deep down he cares for Dave and enjoys playing with him.
Doesn't he want to promote his EVH Gear?

Yea like the new EVH Wolfgang bass!

unchainedguitars
March 9th, 2012, 11:20 PM
That is one thing I've pointed to a few times in my occasional defense of Hagar. He and Mike can't control what the harebrained interviewers decide to ask. I'm sure part of them would be glad to never have to beat the dead horse ever again, but it's what the gossip rags want to hear. If Eddie was doing any press about the tour or album, I'm sure he'd be similarly dismissive of his former bandmates' contributions.

"Eddie Van Halen" is the only thing Hagar wants to talk about, don't blame the press.

The majority of his book was dishing on Ed.
The media that followed was Sam discussing just how bad Eddie was.
He was overjoyed to trash Ed & discuss VH.
He's still doing it, because that's what Hagar does.

unchainedguitars
March 9th, 2012, 11:22 PM

I have kind of the same feeling.

I felt like this album was for the fans, but now i feel like it was mainly for Wolfie.
Well, we got a good album, at least!

Mallonmusic
March 10th, 2012, 12:05 AM
I have kind of the same feeling.

I felt like this album was for the fans, but now i feel like it was mainly for Wolfie.
Well, we got a good album, at least!

Even though i love whats going on,,,,,,i'm starting to get a bad feeling about whats not going on. But either way i doubt we'll see another VH album:whatsthat:

Jungle Drummer
March 10th, 2012, 01:55 AM
Let's see...the album's been out a month and the tour is three weeks in, and people have already convinced themselves that VH are dead. WTF? Why not enjoy the album and tour and have fun with it and we'll all see where the chips fall in a year or two.:57:

Michael Van Roth
March 10th, 2012, 04:21 AM
let's see...the album's been out a month and the tour is three weeks in, and people have already convinced themselves that vh are dead. Wtf? Why not enjoy the album and tour and have fun with it and we'll all see where the chips fall in a year or two.:57:

:05:amen!:05:

Michael Van Roth
March 10th, 2012, 04:26 AM

Last paragraph of the article you posted states:

It always comes back to Van Halen, doesn’t it? They are the body around which many people who were once in their inner circle continue to orbit.

As much of a dumbass as this "reporter" is, she nailed it at the end. A little poke at The Singer Who Replaced David Lee Roth?

Jungle Drummer
March 10th, 2012, 04:14 PM
Last paragraph of the article you posted states:

It always comes back to Van Halen, doesn’t it? They are the body around which many people who were once in their inner circle continue to orbit.

As much of a dumbass as this "reporter" is, she nailed it at the end. A little poke at The Singer Who Replaced David Lee Roth?

Exactly. Sammy doesnt have his Cabo Wabo tequila, his HOF nomination, or CF if he doesnt get the VH gig. Nor does he have anyone wanting to interview him at this point. He OWES a lot to Ed an Al.

Michael Van Roth
March 10th, 2012, 07:34 PM
Exactly. Sammy doesnt have his Cabo Wabo tequila, his HOF nomination, or CF if he doesnt get the VH gig. Nor does he have anyone wanting to interview him at this point. He OWES a lot to Ed an Al.

And yet he's managed to convince himself otherwise. Hey, whatever helps getcha through the day, man.

Jungle Drummer
March 10th, 2012, 07:48 PM
And yet he's managed to convince himself otherwise. Hey, whatever helps getcha through the day, man.

Haha, I think his oversized EGO gets him through the day!:tounge:

Michael Van Roth
March 10th, 2012, 08:16 PM
Haha, I think his oversized EGO gets him through the day!:tounge:

Oversized EGO, oversized EGGO...either way!

Jungle Drummer
March 10th, 2012, 08:19 PM
Oversized EGO, oversized EGGO...either way!

:colgate:Oh, man! Post of the day right here!

Michael Van Roth
March 10th, 2012, 08:28 PM
:colgate:Oh, man! Post of the day right here!

Cheers to you...you started it :beers:

wimpyliberalbuster32
March 10th, 2012, 09:04 PM
Does Pillsbury make waffles?

Michael Van Roth
March 10th, 2012, 09:11 PM
Does Pillsbury make waffles?

Maybe The Singer Who Replaced David Lee Roth can advise. I've never heard of a waffle before. And thanks to him I only recently heard of tequila.

wimpyliberalbuster32
March 10th, 2012, 10:22 PM
Maybe The Singer Who Replaced David Lee Roth can advise. I've never heard of a waffle before. And thanks to him I only recently heard of tequila.

You know, Ed never wrote a truly beautiful ballad until Sammy joined the band. :taunt:

unchainedguitars
March 10th, 2012, 11:36 PM
Sammy is a very successful & rich person, with lots of business savvy.

But he's also a very average musician/artist.
He's not even remotely on VH's plain, and never could be.
He doesn't have that gift, he wasn't born with it.

He's smart enough to know how to latch onto something bigger & better, and he
understands how to exploit that for all it's worth.
But he's not a great artist, by any stretch.

T.Rabbit
March 11th, 2012, 07:05 AM

True to a point but Hagar can simply say he's said enough on the topic and would like to move on. Or state he'll only talk about his current band.

T.Rabbit
March 11th, 2012, 07:17 AM

Maybe the press would ask him some uncomfortable questions Ed doesn't want to talk about? Just a guess. I like how they're just letting the album and tour do the talking for them.

Maybe the success of ADKOT will inspire the band to give us another album? Let's hope so.

T.Rabbit
March 11th, 2012, 07:18 AM
Let's see...the album's been out a month and the tour is three weeks in, and people have already convinced themselves that VH are dead. WTF? Why not enjoy the album and tour and have fun with it and we'll all see where the chips fall in a year or two.:57:

Agreed.
:happy:

Cathedral =I=
March 16th, 2012, 06:53 AM
When you over analyze anything it ruins the sweet taste of the hypothetical pie you should be enjoying.

Who cares about what happens next when this has just begun?
Enjoy the pie, people, let tomorrow come in its own time and see what happens.

I could care less what motivated Ed to get out and play, he's out, and he's playing better than ever.
If you have eyes and can see at all you should be able to see clearly that he is LOVING it. Val even said herself that he just wanted to get out and play with Wolfgang.
He has nothing to prove, he owes nobody nothing, and he loves his son and he understands way more than Wolfie does that life is short. I have kids and I totally feel where Ed is coming from. It's awesome and I am damn happy for all of them.

These guys did one major thing over the last few years, they matured into a group that seemingly can't be derailed this time.

They are having fun together and they have healed the wounds that were so deep that in all reality we shouldn't be seeing and hearing any of this...I truly believe that.

Screw the napkin, just enjoy the pie and the ride...

Roth On!

Presto-digitation
March 16th, 2012, 07:05 AM

I'm not looking at it from a cynical standpoint myself. I think Wolf has invigorated Edward. It shows on album. It shows live. I see nothing disingenuous when I watch Edward peforming these days, nor do I hear anything phoned in on the record.

I think Eddie's doing whatever he needs to do to stay clean and happy. If that means talking in the press a bit less, then I think that's the sacrifice we have to make as fans. Eddie has historically, in addition to doing some WONDERFUL interviews, been a bit of a fucking asshole too. Maybe if he's not in front of a camera or a reporter, he's not compelled to answer the questions he doesn't want to (surely jerks will bring up Sammy every five seconds or how things are with DLR). The less Ed says, perhaps, the better things are. It sucks for US, I realize...but it that's what's working for him, so be it.

Neil Peart of Rush went through this, albeit through truly TRAGIC circumstances. His daughter was killed and less than a year later lost his wife to cancer. He's since given interviews, but to this very day he doesn't do meet-n-greets...doesn't do the before the show or backstage thing, even for the fans who have paid the big $$$ to meet the band. It does NOT include him. People both understand it AND it's become the ire of some fans, as it's seen as selfish, dismissive, etc. It's just not something he enjoys doing, so he doesn't...for his own sanity, for his own sake.

I wonder these days if it's not the same for Edward. Either way, he seems happy and content, even if that means some sacrifice for us fans. I can live with that.

rawkinrobbievh1
September 25th, 2013, 02:18 AM
Which is why the topics about MA rejoining , are silly .
Dead horse . done deal . Nostalgia , IMO .