PDA

View Full Version : David Lee Roths take on Eddie Van Halens playing these days.

punkatomic
February 25th, 2012, 11:18 PM
NYPost - "You and Eddie are ultimate definition of “frenemies.” What’s your take on his playing these days?

David Lee Roth -We’re doing a lot of tunes that don’t usually get out of the deck and Edward is more lucid now than any time in my memory. I’m his biggest fan. I still remember the first time I saw him playing in a backyard party in Pasadena in high school. He was great then and he’s great now. We’ve come full circle..."

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainment/return_of_diamond_dave_nIv8QlHNwO8Yy3oNmzuy3H#ixzz 1nShOc93i

Nelah
February 25th, 2012, 11:46 PM
NYPost - "You and Eddie are ultimate definition of “frenemies.” What’s your take on his playing these days?

David Lee Roth -We’re doing a lot of tunes that don’t usually get out of the deck and Edward is more lucid now than any time in my memory. I’m his biggest fan. I still remember the first time I saw him playing in a backyard party in Pasadena in high school. He was great then and he’s great now. We’ve come full circle..."

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainment/return_of_diamond_dave_nIv8QlHNwO8Yy3oNmzuy3H#ixzz 1nShOc93i

Thanks for sharing Punkatomic...interesting read. It makes my heart happy when he shares that he is Eddie's biggest fan.... sigh, I think I am!! :colgate:

Jungle Drummer
February 26th, 2012, 02:05 AM
"Every night is ladies night, and that feeling is right."

Classic Dave.:thumbs-up:

vhfanjack
February 26th, 2012, 05:47 AM
"Do you float like a butterfly or sting like a pre-recorded bee?" LOL

wimpyliberalbuster32
February 26th, 2012, 11:26 AM
Half Bruce Lee, half Wizard of Oz Scarecrow?!?! LOL how can anyone honestly say with a straight face that they don't like David Lee Roth?

Achilleslastand
February 26th, 2012, 12:02 PM
This about sums up todays music in a nutshell....

These days, I see too much cheerleading and not enough stagecraft, and what I’m seeing isn’t worth cheering for. The questions I want to ask most of my colleagues are: Can you even do the whole song from beginning to end? Can you do it onstage like you did it in the studio? Do you float like a butterfly or sting like a pre-recorded bee?

Jungle Drummer
February 26th, 2012, 12:03 PM
Half Bruce Lee, half Wizard of Oz Scarecrow?!?! LOL how can anyone honestly say with a straight face that they don't like David Lee Roth?

He really is one of a kind. You know, watching these interviews they've been releasing and seeing how he and Al and Ed react and interact with each other, they are all interesting, cool cats. They just dont make rock stars like these guys anymore.:57:

wimpyliberalbuster32
February 26th, 2012, 12:27 PM
He really is one of a kind. You know, watching these interviews they've been releasing and seeing how he and Al and Ed react and interact with each other, they are all interesting, cool cats. They just dont make rock stars like these guys anymore.:57:

Nope, just generic cookie-cutter losers. Calvin Cline jackets and scarfs are not "cool."

unchainedguitars
February 26th, 2012, 06:40 PM
I always had a feeling Dave was Ed's biggest fan, especially when it was him that said, "Name the band Van Halen."
I think Dave saw this insane musical foundation of Ed & Al, and then he himself, completely stepped up his game.
Dave is so smart, he probablly knew EXACTLY what to do & he probablly knew the band was gonna be huge.
I can totally picture him joining & thinking, "They got all this, and now i'm gonna give 'em that."
Dave knew what to do and still does.

Jungle Drummer
February 26th, 2012, 06:51 PM
I always had a feeling Dave was Ed's biggest fan, especially when it was him that said, "Name the band Van Halen."
I think Dave saw this insane musical foundation of Ed & Al, and then he himself, completely stepped up his game.
Dave is so smart, he probablly knew EXACTLY what to do & he probablly knew the band was gonna be huge.
I can totally picture him joining & thinking, "They got all this, and now i'm gonna give 'em that."
Dave knew what to do and still does.

I always think of the interview on film where Dave said he viewed Ed as a mentor. He wanted to do with his feet and voice what Ed was doing with his guitar and that inspired him. I really think he has always loved Ed.

Simon Ribeiro
February 27th, 2012, 12:08 PM
Thanks for the post, Punk. :thumbs-up:

unchainedguitars
February 27th, 2012, 07:13 PM
I always think of the interview on film where Dave said he viewed Ed as a mentor. He wanted to do with his feet and voice what Ed was doing with his guitar and that inspired him. I really think he has always loved Ed.

I think Ed loves DLR, as well.

The press always makes it sound like they can't stand one another, even today.
Those guys have a really intimate history together, probablly a bond as special as family.
Look at what they achieved together, look at the time they spent together.

Sammy comes waltzing in, post-fame & post "building the band from the ground up."
He waltzes in like Dave was a schmuck, and the gig belongs to him.
Sammy wasn't there, but Dave, Ed, Al & Even Mike, were.

Dave was Ed's creative partner.
The Ying to his Yang.

Jungle Drummer
February 27th, 2012, 07:41 PM
I think Ed loves DLR, as well.

The press always makes it sound like they can't stand one another, even today.
Those guys have a really intimate history together, probablly a bond as special as family.
Look at what they achieved together, look at the time they spent together.

Sammy comes waltzing in, post-fame & post "building the band from the ground up."
He waltzes in like Dave was a schmuck, and the gig belongs to him.
Sammy wasn't there, but Dave, Ed, Al & Even Mike, were.

Dave was Ed's creative partner.
The Ying to his Yang.
Yeah, I bet it's a love/hate relationship but with a lot more love and respect for these two geniuses. Hell, even Ed an Al have reportedly come to blows in the studio! That's the way family is sometimes. I've never been more mad at anyone than my cousin, but he's my best friend and more like my brother than anything!

Nelah
February 27th, 2012, 08:08 PM
Although there are four members in VH, I find the relationship between Ed and Dave to be particularily fascinating. There is SUCH a fine line between love and hate...

In the videos that I have had a chance to watch, there is a mutual admiration between Dave and Ed... that being said sometimes it is almost like Dave is looking for Ed's "approval" much more than Ed would ever be looking for Dave's. There is a tolerance and acceptance of Dave "as is" by Ed that I didn't witness on the last tour dates I attended. I sense that Al and Wolf deal with Dave differently. Someone mentioned the intimate nature of the relationship between Ed and Dave....to me that is exactly where the chemistry lies.

Without their relationship exactly as it is, I do not believe we would have gotten a new album at all.... How amazing that they have learned to sort out their shit so to speak, for us (the fans) to have new music!!! Love it!

Michael Van Roth
February 28th, 2012, 06:39 PM
Thank you for posting this. Short but sweet. Not much typed out but David sure provided much food for thought. I think what made the seperation so tough back in the day was that these guys shared so much together. They grew together. When something goes down as serious as it did between them, emotions swirl. Things get said that probably shouldn't have been. Before you know it, there's no turning back. Anger takes control and perceptions become skewed. Anyway, I'm thankful they've grown and put a lot of shit behind them to make this latest album. I still can't believe it's out!

rawkinrobbievh1
February 28th, 2012, 07:17 PM
Yeah, I bet it's a love/hate relationship but with a lot more love and respect for these two geniuses. Hell, even Ed an Al have reportedly come to blows in the studio! That's the way family is sometimes. I've never been more mad at anyone than my cousin, but he's my best friend and more like my brother than anything!

right on , brother JD !!!!!!
been a while eh dude ? sorry i was away .

i like this post and totally agree . just like we talked about before with your cousin and you , and my uncle the drummer and me .....

i'm taking him to see VH on the 17th . we're both on cloud nine .
i\m listening to the new album right now !!!!!

CHEERS :101:

Jungle Drummer
February 28th, 2012, 11:30 PM
right on , brother JD !!!!!!
been a while eh dude ? sorry i was away .

i like this post and totally agree . just like we talked about before with your cousin and you , and my uncle the drummer and me .....

i'm taking him to see VH on the 17th . we're both on cloud nine .
i\m listening to the new album right now !!!!!

CHEERS :101:

Haha I just saw this post. My cousin just found us tickets to the Staples Center show on June 1st on the floor, Wolf's side, upfront!! It's too bad he cant come up here for the Tacoma Dome show May 5th, but I'll be at that one with 2 of my sisters, my brother-in-law, and my neice so it's all good!

i1sum2!
March 4th, 2012, 02:23 PM
"Right on dood! Ed is tha shit man!"

lol

the density level around here is phenomenal.

unchainedguitars
March 4th, 2012, 02:49 PM
The density level is off the charts!

On one hand, you have actual fans of Eddie, ON A VH BOARD, psyched he's healthy & playing his balls off.

Then you have, the village idiot, ON A VH BOARD, unhappy & bitchy because Eddie is healthy & playing his balls off.

Simon Ribeiro
March 5th, 2012, 05:11 AM
The density level is off the charts!

On one hand, you have actual fans of Eddie, ON A VH BOARD, psyched he's healthy & playing his balls off.

Then you have, the village idiot, ON A VH BOARD, unhappy & bitchy because Eddie is healthy & playing his balls off.

He's lost and all alone, isn't he? :tounge:

rawkinrobbievh1
March 5th, 2012, 06:55 PM
seems about right ??

too bad though . the EVH of today is kicking ass with his current bandmates . and no , they're not employees ...... it's a bona fide BAND :101:

punkatomic
March 5th, 2012, 07:57 PM
Then you have, the village idiot, ON A VH BOARD, unhappy & bitchy because Eddie is healthy & playing his balls off.Calling him a village idiot is being nice.

Mallonmusic
March 7th, 2012, 07:56 PM
Like i said before i don't take back what i have said in the past about them being MIA for long spells and for not being very fan friendly etc, etc. But why knock what there doing now? They finally have a new album out wich i think is great and they sound great live. So after this tour will they fall back in to the VH pit and not be seen again for years? Probly. But for now i'm just liking whats going on. And yes i'm one of the few on here who actually miss MA and that will never change!;)

punkatomic
March 7th, 2012, 08:56 PM
I miss Mike too.

However, it is what it is. Mike should be there, but Mike made a decision and I have yet to hear him whine about it.

If Mike hadn't left, where would this band be? Would we have A Different Kind Of Truth?

Things happen for a reason.

Nelah
March 7th, 2012, 09:03 PM
I miss Mike too.

However, it is what it is. Mike should be there, but Mike made a decision and I have yet to hear him whine about it.

If Mike hadn't left, where would this band be? Would we have A Different Kind Of Truth?

I agree that things happen for a reason Punkatomic...

I do not believe we would have ever had new music from Eddie without Wolfgang. Imo, he is the source, the core of Eddie's rejuvenation... Both creatively music wise and health wise (physical/mental/emotional).

Mallonmusic
March 7th, 2012, 09:29 PM
I miss Mike too.

Well without getting back on the "Mike" topic again every time i hear or see them lately i can't help but think how cool it would be to see him with the whole "original" lineup just like it was. But:57: O well enough of this topic:colgate:

Jungle Drummer
March 7th, 2012, 11:46 PM
Mike being back would truly be nothing but a nostalgia tour, cuz it's doubtful we'd have a new album. I prefer Wolf's playing and he's also doing a damn fine job on the vocals.