PDA

View Full Version : Sammy Hagar Claims New Van Halen Record Is 'All Old Stuff'

punkatomic
November 21st, 2011, 04:49 PM
By Andy Greene
November 21, 2011 2:50 PM ET

Last week, Van Halen released a picture that proved beyond any doubt that they had signed to Interscope. The photo showed them at an "undisclosed venue" in Los Angeles, but according to the Van Halen News Desk (http://www.vhnd.com/), it was at the Roxy in Los Angeles. They supposedly shot a video there. We've been hearing for months that their first LP with David Lee Roth since 1984 is practically finished, but confirming anything when it comes to Van Halen is extraordinarily difficult. Needless to say, none of them are jumping on the phone for interviews. Luckily, we happened to be checking in with Sammy Hagar last week – and he was more than happy to share his thoughts on the situation.

We're hearing that Van Halen signed to Interscope this week.
What? VH? Van Halen? I don't think . . . How long has it been since they did a record? And that last one doesn't count. You have to go back to 1995. For them to take that long to make a record, I don't think it's ever going to happen. If it does, it better be good. Oh man. It actually might be. I'm not dogging them. I don't understand why they couldn't do something by now. [Laughs] Though I kind of do understand.

This seems legit. I think they actually, for real, signed to Interscope.
I thought they signed to Sony. Hmmm . . . Interesting. I'll be the first guy waiting in line at the record store, if I could find one anymore. I'll be really curious. I think they owe the fans that. I would love to see them make a great record. They have some of the most loyal fans in rock, and they've been treated so, so bad these last 20 years. I'm a real fan friendly guy.

The fans aren't too happy that they threw Michael Anthony out of the band.
It didn't bother me when they threw me out. I'm a solo artist. I can start a new band. But Mike? He's the most loyal guy, and the best bass player in the world – and the best background singer on the planet. His vocal sound is as much a part of Van Halen as anyone's. When they threw him out, I just thought "WHY? This is so wrong. This is so damned wrong!" Then to go back to Dave, FINALLY – but they threw Mike out first. Once again, it's not a fan friendly band. Eddie could have played a solo album with Wolfie. He could have produced it and gone on tour and played theaters with him. He could have done so many different things. He did not have to make Wolfie the bass player in Van Halen.

I find it interesting that David Lee Roth has barely made a peep in public since he rejoined the band. Before that, he wasn't exactly a press shy guy.
Yeah, this isn't very Dave-like. Obviously, he's trying to make it work. Look, I've been there. It's not an easy camp. It's gotten crazier and wackier, every day. I think that Dave has just learned that if he wants to make it work, he needs to shut up and hang in there and do what he can, and do what they say. It's a very strange situation.
Look, back in the day, Dave was the boss. He was running the damn show. When I came in, I was the boss. I was running the show, but I didn't want that job. It was always, "Well, what do you guys want to do?" They'd be like, "I don't know. What do you want to do?" Then all of a sudden, it became this wicked, freaking dictatorship – and nothing has happened since.

I think nothing would be more fascinating than a Some Kind of Monster-style documentary about the making of this new record. Can you even imagine?
I'd be curious to be a fly on that wall. I heard this record is old outtakes from the old days. I mean, stuff from before I even joined the band. I heard this five years ago though. Michael Anthony was curious if his background vocals would wind up on the album. I don't think it's a bad idea. It's kind of interesting. Bob Seger did it, and so did the Rolling Stones. I think it's an interesting thing to do in your old age if you can't come up with fresh, good stuff – or you can't get along. Because from what I heard, they aren't working with new material. Ed and Dave didn't actually write new songs. They took old stuff from previous sessions, and then maybe Dave had to go in and add vocals because they just had scat vocals, or even no vocal part at all.

That's bizarre, because in the few interviews that he does, Ed is always talking about how many great new guitar parts he's written.
Ed talks really weird about all that stuff recently. He goes, "I have all this music! So much music . . . " Well, they really aren't songs [laughs]. They're really not. It was always easy for me to write songs with Ed. He had all these parts, and I had these ideas. I'd be like, "Oh, go to B over there for a bridge – write a bridge, Ed." He'd do it, and it would be some bad ass shit. But it wasn't like he wrote instrumentals and I just had to write lyrics over them, like I do now with Joe Satriani. Joe writes friggin' instrumentals. Ed doesn't have any songs. I'm sorry. I love the guy's guitar stuff, but play me a song, will you?

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/sammy-hagar-claims-new-van-halen-record-is-all-old-stuff-20111121#ixzz1eNmEYmgy

Hmmm...all I can say is that I'm surprised it took Sammy this long to piss all over himself. Sounds like he is READY. LOL!

Also, I can't help but think that Sammy and i1sum have one thing in common. They hate Eddie!

i1sum2!
November 21st, 2011, 05:35 PM
Sure doesn't sound like hate to me. Is he really saying anything that isn't true here? Or anything we haven't heard yet? Nope. Not really. Between you, Sinners Swing and Simon, I can't for the life of me understand why you let the man get the best of you guys? It's your M.O. (all three of you) to post anything he's recently said to stir shit up around here. You guys bag on me when I mention EVH, but again, there's nothing I've said about the man that isn't true. Meanwhile, you three use a new Hagar thread so you can bash the shit out of him. I hate Hagar, blah blah blah and on you guys go. When have you ever heard me say that I hate Ed?

That's right......you haven't. I don't agree with a lot of his decisions and it's never been anything more than that.

VAiN
November 21st, 2011, 06:13 PM
It was always easy for me to write songs with Ed. He had all these parts, and I had these ideas. I'd be like, "Oh, go to B over there for a bridge Ė write a bridge, Ed." He'd do it, and it would be some bad ass shit. But it wasn't like he wrote instrumentals and I just had to write lyrics over them, like I do now with Joe Satriani. Joe writes friggin' instrumentals. Ed doesn't have any songs. I'm sorry. I love the guy's guitar stuff, but play me a song, will you?

This.

This is what makes me want to puke when I read that fat-fucking clown's statements... which is it fatso? Sorry that Ed has riffs and made you actually have to construct a song and that only served to highlight your terrible 'songwriting'. It's hard working with a genius and in the shadow of greatness at the same time.

I'm sure it's easy with paint-by-numbers-wanker-no-tone-having-joe-satch handing you pieces ready to go, most with melodies I'm sure.

In closing... fuck you, samual roy hagar. :piss:

vhfanjack
November 21st, 2011, 06:24 PM
We're hearing that Van Halen signed to Interscope this week.
What? VH? Van Halen? I don't think . . . How long has it been since they did a record? And that last one doesn't count. You have to go back to 1995. For them to take that long to make a record, I don't think it's ever going to happen. If it does, it better be good. Oh man. It actually might be. I'm not dogging them. I don't understand why they couldn't do something by now. [Laughs] Though I kind of do understand.

This seems legit. I think they actually, for real, signed to Interscope.
I thought they signed to Sony. Hmmm . . . Interesting. I'll be the first guy waiting in line at the record store, if I could find one anymore. I'll be really curious. I think they owe the fans that. I would love to see them make a great record. They have some of the most loyal fans in rock, and they've been treated so, so bad these last 20 years. I'm a real fan friendly guy.

Well, he ain't lying there. It's nice to read him not tear Ed a new one this time, but be more sincere now that something seems to be happening. Mike's background vocals on the new record? Sign me up. But he isn't the best bassist in the world...

Some more insight from an outsider. This album has been worked on for the past five years? What the hell...

VAiN
November 21st, 2011, 06:27 PM
This album has been worked on for the past five years? What the hell...

Welcome to sam-math. If applied correctly you too can sell more albums than CVH.

vhfanjack
November 21st, 2011, 06:33 PM
Welcome to sam-math. If applied correctly you too can sell more albums than CVH.

Hahahaha good call.

wimpyliberalbuster32
November 21st, 2011, 10:11 PM
He sounds jealous if you ask me....

unchainedguitars
November 21st, 2011, 10:21 PM
He sounds jealous if you ask me....

He always sounds jealous.

The guy never, once, says, "Look, man, i've been out of VH for years now, i have no idea
what they are doing or when, but i wish them well."

He & Mike are as happy as can be in CF, right?
But every appearance, every interview, it's all Van Halen related.
And you can tell that they get off on the delays & whatnot.
They should form a side project & call it, "The Jealous Ex's."

VAiN
November 21st, 2011, 10:30 PM
They should form a side project & call it, "The Jealous Ex's."
How about 'the other half' - oh, wait...

wimpyliberalbuster32
November 21st, 2011, 10:39 PM
Apparently, they pulled the same shit in the 1980s:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sg0XbvDpB8M&feature=channel_video_title

1234over
November 21st, 2011, 10:46 PM
Every thing he said is exactly how I imagined it to be!

What he said about writing songs with EVH is why I have insisted that they are Roth's songs as much as Ed's. I don't think Ed is really a songwriter. He is a Riff guy that needs others to organize his music into songs. That's no small part of songwriting.

I don't hate Hag's. I don't blame him at all for Van Halen's problems, and I think there is plenty to be gleaned about the way the band works from him. I think he dug the records they made with Roth, even the Roth part. He was just forced into an adversarial role, first by DLR, who used to make fun of him back in the old days, and then by the band when he joined.

1234over
November 21st, 2011, 10:54 PM
Apparently, they pulled the same shit in the 1980s:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sg0XbvDpB8M&feature=channel_video_title

I never saw this. That is a great interview, and Roth is being real there. He is pissed. And looking back, it's so true that they made it into an "us vs. Roth" "you have to choose" situation.

i1sum2!
November 22nd, 2011, 08:42 AM
I see Hagar much like a professional wrestler in that he knows how to use the media to his advantage, be it good or bad. It doesn't matter to him if he gets slagged for his comments, because he wants to keep himself in the spotlight and on the tip of everyone's tongue. He knows his comments are gonna ruffle a few feathers and they're designed to do just that. The fact that these interviewers continually bring up Van Halen to him are just another way to keep himself relevant. Should he say "No comment" in regards to VH? Yeah, he should have a long time ago. Although I will say that he can talk about anything he created with them. I don't see that as wrong. Sometimes, he overdoes it and now the people who have been good fans of his are starting to think he's a little bitter with his comments. Even if he gets bad publicity, it's still publicity. You guys who take the bait, you crack me up. He got your goat.

Seems to me that if the guy really bugs you, then perhaps you shouldn't be following along with whatever he's currently talking about, then posting about said articles. I'll go on record (again) as saying that I'm no Hagar fan and never really was. Chickenfoot, well, it is what it is. So far, nothing has really moved me.

Hagar is best taken with a grain of salt.

i1sum2!
November 22nd, 2011, 10:08 AM
The real kicker here is that both Hagar and Mike are doing more PR for Van Halen IV than Ed, Alex, Dave, Janie and Wolfgang.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b127/swapmeetlouie/Passby.gif

lol

cowboydan
November 22nd, 2011, 11:25 AM
The real kicker here is that both Hagar and Mike are doing more PR for Van Halen IV than Ed, Alex, Dave, Janie and Wolfgang.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b127/swapmeetlouie/Passby.gif

lol

THIS. :05: Sad but true. The anticipation of new VH is killing me, and by the sound of the board lately, it's making us all a little testy. But then again.......maybe that's exactly what they want?

punkatomic
November 22nd, 2011, 11:36 AM
....Seems to me that if the guy really bugs you, then perhaps you shouldn't be following along with whatever he's currently talking about, then posting about said articles...Oh the irony!

punkatomic
November 22nd, 2011, 01:54 PM
I never saw this. That is a great interview, and Roth is being real there. He is pissed. And looking back, it's so true that they made it into an "us vs. Roth" "you have to choose" situation.Do you notice that Sammy is TRYING to work from the same templete? In Sammy’s world, it’s Sammy vs Van Halen. As it was David Lee Roth vs Van Halen. in 1986. Dave had Stevie and Billy. Sammy has Joe and Mike. Well, maybe not the same, but you understand.
Sammy is the good guy. Eddie, Dave and Alex are the bad guys. Sammy saved Van Halen from themselves. It’s their fault.

The difference this time around, Van Halen isn’t saying a word. Sammy WANTS Van Halen to acknowledge his presense. He wants that Pro Wrestling vibe. He yearns for that he said, they said shit. IMO, Van Halen has learned that no good is going to come from acknowledging or responding to Sammy’s whoring.

Lets hope they keep ignoring the little red cock bite.

You know that must must be driving Sammy crazy!

1234over
November 22nd, 2011, 02:11 PM
Do you notice that Sammy is TRYING to work from the same templete? In Sammyís world, itís Sammy vs Van Halen. As it was David Lee Roth vs Van Halen. in 1986. Dave had Stevie and Billy. Sammy has Joe and Mike. Well, maybe not the same, but you understand.
Sammy is the good guy. Eddie, Dave and Alex are the bad guys. Sammy saved Van Halen from themselves. Itís their fault.

The difference this time around, Van Halen isnít saying a word. Sammy WANTS Van Halen to acknowledge his presense. He wants that Pro Wrestling vibe. He yearns for that he said, they said shit. IMO, Van Halen has learned that no good is going to come from acknowledging or responding to Sammyís whoring.

I am glad to hear from Hag's, because I think he offers insight into how the band works. I just don't listen to his music. Yes, what he says is skewed to make himself look good, and he is milking the situation for publicity, but that doesn't mean that what he says about EVH isn't true. Most of it corroborates with what DLR said for years.
When Hag's said that "if I say it's black, Ed will say it's white. Whatever I said Ed would say it's the opposite", it just confirmed to me how EVH would rather fuck things up than let DLR think he is getting what he wants.

Get this movie: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0168080/ it's the story of Van Halen. VH's story is a timeless parable, acted out by so many successful groups.

EVH_Erupted
November 22nd, 2011, 02:15 PM
I never saw this. That is a great interview, and Roth is being real there. He is pissed. And looking back, it's so true that they made it into an "us vs. Roth" "you have to choose" situation.

This is kinda ironic, I just watched this vid a few days ago.

I don't think I've seen Dave so articulate before... at least as much as he can be. There's no Daveisms here, just straight talk.

As for the article, it's pretty much the same crap that he's been saying for months only it's regurgitated and pointed towards the recent signing Interscope records. He's just dying for attention. Especially from Dave and the brothers.

unchainedguitars
November 22nd, 2011, 02:27 PM
Oh the irony!

Hahaha!

Brief, to the point & oh so accurate.

1234over
November 22nd, 2011, 02:35 PM
This is kinda ironic, I just watched this vid a few days ago.

I don't think I've seen Dave so articulate before... at least as much as he can be. There's no Daveisms here, just straight talk.

As for the article, it's pretty much the same crap that he's been saying for months only it's regurgitated and pointed towards the recent signing Interscope records. He's just dying for attention. Especially from Dave and the brothers.

I believe him. I think that when he left the band it was a tearful separation, and that he was taken by surprise when the rest of the band attacked him in the press. It looks like he assumed that they would understand that both camps would be better off just calling it an "amicable split" and keep all the fans united behind BOTH bands. But the Van Halen's don't think ahead the way Roth does. He underestimated their resentment towards him (likely JUSTIFIED resentment).

unchainedguitars
November 22nd, 2011, 02:35 PM
Do you notice that Sammy is TRYING to work from the same templete? In Sammyís world, itís Sammy vs Van Halen. As it was David Lee Roth vs Van Halen. in 1986. Dave had Stevie and Billy. Sammy has Joe and Mike. Well, maybe not the same, but you understand.
Sammy is the good guy. Eddie, Dave and Alex are the bad guys. Sammy saved Van Halen from themselves. Itís their fault.

The difference this time around, Van Halen isnít saying a word. Sammy WANTS Van Halen to acknowledge his presense. He wants that Pro Wrestling vibe. He yearns for that he said, they said shit. IMO, Van Halen has learned that no good is going to come from acknowledging or responding to Sammyís whoring.

I completely agree, and have thought this for some time now.

It's almost like Sammy wants some sort of validation, like for them to acknowledge him.
The fact that they won't, it's just making him open his mouth even more:
"Oh, these are all just recycled old songs..."
"Oh, Eddie was living on a stained mattress & microwaving hotdogs, he was so out of it..."
"Mike is the greatest bass player in the world..."
"Dave was like the clown, but when i arrived, they had a real singer..."
"The new album will never come out..."

Then he tries to make himself appear less bitter & adds, "But, even though it won't
come out, i hope it will be great."

Sure ya do, Sam...

Anyone who can't see through this guy, is living on Mars.
I don't care how rich he is, he knows that without Eddie, he is irrelevant, musically.
Who actually buys Sammy Hagar albums in 2011?
Who actually thinks Chickenfoot is a great rock 'n roll band?

unchainedguitars
November 22nd, 2011, 02:41 PM
I love Dave, but those excerpts from "Yankee Rose" in the interview, are like two steps from Poison territory.
God, what an awful time, post classic Van Halen.
Both halves were just so far removed from the original spirit & smarts of what made VH great to begin with.

EVH_Erupted
November 22nd, 2011, 02:55 PM
I believe him. I think that when he left the band it was a tearful separation, and that he was taken by surprise when the rest of the band attacked him in the press. It looks like he assumed that they would understand that both camps would be better off just calling it an "amicable split" and keep all the fans united behind BOTH bands. But the Van Halen's don't think ahead the way Roth does. He underestimated their resentment towards him (likely JUSTIFIED resentment).

...And the tables are now reversed.

It's funny, Sam is the one doing the interviews but VH is the one getting all the attention.

punkatomic
November 22nd, 2011, 02:58 PM
I am glad to hear from Hag's, because I think he offers insight into how the band works. I just don't listen to his music. Yes, what he says is skewed to make himself look good, and he is milking the situation for publicity, but that doesn't mean that what he says about EVH isn't true. Most of it corroborates with what DLR said for years.
When Hag's said that "if I say it's black, Ed will say it's white. Whatever I said Ed would say it's the opposite", it just confirmed to me how EVH would rather fuck things up than let DLR think he is getting what he wants.

Get this movie: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0168080/ it's the story of Van Halen. VH's story is a timeless parable, acted out by so many successful groups.I'm not saying what he says about Eddie isn't true. It's the airing of Eddie's dirty laundry for Sammy's own wallet that I find telling. It wasn't like Eddie did an interview recently ripping Sammy. Unprovoked, Sammy goes out of his way to profit and expose Eddie's vices and privacy.

Dave made jokes about Eddie and Alex. Sammy made some serious coin and the NY times bestseller list.

Didn't Eddie say something to the effect. "At least Dave doesn't lie!" I don't know.

vhfanjack
November 22nd, 2011, 09:16 PM
He didn't really do much ripping in the interview. I don't see the big deal.:57: What, he said they're all old songs... They probably are. He said that it's tough to write a song with Ed... How do we know he's wrong there? If Ed has 50 albums worth of material, then why hasn't he released any?

Anyway, all over the web this interview is being posted with positive headlines like "Sammy will be the first to buy new Van Halen album", etc. So even if people here are pissed off by the interview by whatever reason, the rest of the world ain't.

vhfanjack
November 22nd, 2011, 09:17 PM

I find that hard to believe. I think it was a bit of wrongness by both parties that lead to the split. Probably not mutual. Well, that's just me anyway.

1234over
November 22nd, 2011, 09:29 PM
I find that hard to believe. I think it was a bit of wrongness by both parties that lead to the split. Probably not mutual. Well, that's just me anyway.

Maybe I didn't make it clear. When I said it was justified, I was talking about the band's resentment of DLR. I think he bullied the band, and was real difficult to deal with. But when he left the band it seems obvious that he didn't expect them to rip into him the way they did. I think Roth played as big a role in the split of the band as EVH, but also that it was pretty much inevitable. What wasn't inevitable was the mudslinging that happened afterwards, most of which I lay at the band's feet, not Roth's.

unchainedguitars
November 22nd, 2011, 10:28 PM
I, personally, never bought the whole "Roth was an innocent" in all of this (both in '85 & '96).

Ed get's handled the blame for everything, but during both those periods, i think Roth was acting like
a primadonna ("This night is about ME!")
I believe when he bailed on VH post '84, it was because he saw success with MTV & his e.p.
"Who needs these guys? Let's make a movie!"

I think Eddie was hurt by that, and rightfully so.
You get wounded, you lash out.
Human nature.

But now Sammy is wounded, and taking it all to an absurd & endless level.

1234over
November 23rd, 2011, 02:43 AM
I, personally, never bought the whole "Roth was an innocent" in all of this (both in '85 & '96).

Ed get's handled the blame for everything, but during both those periods, i think Roth was acting like
a primadonna ("This night is about ME!")
I believe when he bailed on VH post '84, it was because he saw success with MTV & his e.p.
"Who needs these guys? Let's make a movie!"

I think Eddie was hurt by that, and rightfully so.
You get wounded, you lash out.
Human nature.

But now Sammy is wounded, and taking it all to an absurd & endless level.

I agree, but from Roth's reaction, he seems surprised at the way they lashed out at him.

I agree that was probably justified. And as we have discussed before, the split seems like it was inevitable. I'm sure he saw solo success in his future, but was also tired of dealing with a drunk'n coked EVH, who was doing his best to be uncooperative and alienate Roth, probably because he was tired of being pushed around by Roth, who was tired of Ed, who was tired of Mike, who was tired of Roth, who was balling Alex's wife, who was tired of Alex, who was.....

But as Hag's stated (do you think Hag's is misleading about this?) "Roth ran the damn show", for the period that we all enjoy most!

Additionally, Sam ran the show for the period I don't like (his team of managers and road crew etc, kept the VH rock, rolling), and EVH ran the show for a terrible album with a yes-man singer, and a decade of non-production. Ed plays guitar real good, but obviously needs other people to give him direction and get things going.

I prefer when Roth runs the damn show. The music is better, the show is better, the band is more interesting.....and on, and on. As far as I'm concerned, EVH is Roth's guitar player.

vhfanjack
November 23rd, 2011, 05:04 AM
Yes-man singer? It was Ed's idea to construct that whole album around Gary's lyrics... Sure he said yeah, but that was a poor decision on Ed's part. It should be known that I like III, and take it over most of the Hagar garbage.

Simon Ribeiro
November 23rd, 2011, 05:41 AM

I hear you - for a long time, lots of folks used to say it as a mantra in order to make it sound as the pure, untouchable truth.

Hagar sucks. Period!

Sinner Swing 32
November 23rd, 2011, 08:16 AM
I was going write something right off the bat but decided to wait and give it some thought. Here is what I came up with - Sammy's scared! I think he knows just how good some of the 'shelved' music is and how good it is going to sound with Dave singing it. He is trying to spin all of these theories about what's going on with the band behind the scenes and when push comes to shove his Chickenfoot project is going to fall far short of the music that Van Halen is going to release upon us - soon.

If memory serves me, wasn't the music from "Summer Nights" a 'left-over' from the "1984" album as well as "Top Of The World" (outro to "Jump")? If he is so opposed to the 'old stuff' he didn't seem to have a problem with it when he profited from it. Sammy's scared!

IF the new album is good; the Sammy era will be a footnote in the story of Van Halen and that pisses him off. Granted, it will be slightly bigger footnote than the Gary Cherone era but a footnote nonetheless in what will be the ultimate story of one of the greatest American rock bands ever!!

Tomorrow Sammy will probably be eating tequila-infused turkey but I suspect shortly he will be eating crow. Sammy's scared!

i1sum2!
November 23rd, 2011, 08:49 AM
WHY should Hagar be scared? That's the funniest thing I've read in awhile around here. Lol

He's already had two successful albums and is on the verge of another. Even if you don't like them, you can't deny that. What, praytell, does he have to fear from VHIV anyway? This isn't some competition between these two bands, and he isn't trying to turn it into one either. I think he's laughing in Ed & Company faces because they don't ever do anything while he's extremely proactive. I kind of see this as paying back EVH for his unprofessional-ism on their 2004 tour. That old saying "What goes around comes around", I'm definitely reminded of it right now. Ed should have to pay back every single fan for that tour too. A total disgrace.

If you're an interviewer looking for a story, who are you gonna go with? A guy who will say anything candidly, or someone who avoids questions?

A Linker had this to say yesterday, which I really agree with:

If Sammy said "no comment" every time he was asked about VH, then he'd be called a pussy. The guy has every right to say anything he wants about VH when asked about them. If VH or VH fans don't like it, then they can hate on him, but I personally think the haters need to direct their disgust not at Sammy, but at a band that is a miserable waste of talent.

There is an easy way to shut Sam up (or at least make him look like an idiot for saying shit about VH), and that is for VH to do something right for once. If they come out with a great album and dominate on a world tour again, then Sam will look like a dipshit and a bitter asshole with comments like these. Until then, the guy is pretty much correct!

--------------------------------------------------------

AS far as VHIV recycling old music/riffs, I'd have to agree with that statement. Ed just doesn't have the fire in him to sit down and write these days. His last GW interview was very telling. His interests lie elsewhere, like selling gear predominately. This album is merely a side stop for him until he can get back to doing that.

Sinner Swing 32
November 23rd, 2011, 09:06 AM
There is an easy way to shut Sam up (or at least make him look like an idiot for saying shit about VH), and that is for VH to do something right for once. If they come out with a great album and dominate on a world tour again, then Sam will look like a dipshit and a bitter asshole with comments like these. Until then, the guy is pretty much correct!

That is what he is scared of - looking like a bitter asshole. Like I said, during all his time at 5150 he had to have heard the material Ed had in the 'vault' and he knows that it will totally outclass anything that Chickenshit has put out there. If they drop a steller album on the world he will be rendered completely irrelevant in all things Van Halen. David is a world-class show man - if he is given the promotional reigns he is going to run circles around Sammy. I think VH is taking the high road and following the Aerosmith song 'Let The Music Do The Talking'.

So for arguement sake - yes Sammy is (currently) justified in his numerous bitching's but I maintain that he is scared that he is going to look like a complete asshole when the dust settles. If he doesn't have anything to bitch about (i.e Van Halen) why would any reporter want his $0.02? The slammin' Sammy era will soon be coming to an end. Perhaps the Mothership will return and return him to Uranus - the home planet of all assholes!

ckr1231
November 23rd, 2011, 09:23 AM
People--this is a Classic VanHalen forum !!! Sammy sucks !! I saw Sammy in the very early 80's at the Texas Jam (I was a kid) and he sucked then just as he sucks now !!! Yes, he has a few cool solo songs and riffs but for the most part he just sucks !!! His time in VH was his best time. After the new VH drops--Sammy will no longer be relevant anyhow !!!
Now, to all those who wanna attack me over this issue---I do not give a damn--bring it on !!!
EVH is GOD

Incomudro
November 23rd, 2011, 09:55 AM
It's funny, I mostly hated Van Haggar - though they did have a couple of good songs.
Yet I have to give credit where it is due; Sammy is a powerehouse vocalist, and I am amazed at what he is capable of to this day in his 60's - but I never thought he fit VH.
Putting Sammy in the band totally changed VH - it made them poppy, and friendly, and happy.
It totally took away the dangerous, sexual, swaggering element that the band had.

And yet...
I have to admire Sammy for cranking out two Chickenfoot albums while a supposedly reuinited VH has yet to give us anything!
Their tour was three years ago for Christs sake!
Remember when VH used to go in the studio and essentially record the songs live?
I'm very afraid that this new VH material will be way over produced and processed.
We'll have to see...

Simon Ribeiro
November 23rd, 2011, 10:39 AM
I was going write something right off the bat but decided to wait and give it some thought. Here is what I came up with - Sammy's scared! I think he knows just how good some of the 'shelved' music is and how good it is going to sound with Dave singing it. He is trying to spin all of these theories about what's going on with the band behind the scenes and when push comes to shove his Chickenfoot project is going to fall far short of the music that Van Halen is going to release upon us - soon.

If memory serves me, wasn't the music from "Summer Nights" a 'left-over' from the "1984" album as well as "Top Of The World" (outro to "Jump")? If he is so opposed to the 'old stuff' he didn't seem to have a problem with it when he profited from it. Sammy's scared!

IF the new album is good; the Sammy era will be a footnote in the story of Van Halen and that pisses him off. Granted, it will be slightly bigger footnote than the Gary Cherone era but a footnote nonetheless in what will be the ultimate story of one of the greatest American rock bands ever!!

Tomorrow Sammy will probably be eating tequila-infused turkey but I suspect shortly he will be eating crow. Sammy's scared!

Could not say it better, man! :thumbs-up:

unchainedguitars
November 23rd, 2011, 11:52 AM
I don't think Hagar is scared, only because i truly believe Hagar thinks he is superior to DLR.
No matter how good this album may be, Sam will not think it measures up to his time in VH.
Read his book (if only to laugh!).
There is no doubt in my mind that Sam believes what he did with Eddie, Al & Mike, out-classes
classic VH.
It went beyond fear or insecurity, the man truly has a gargantuan ego!

We see him as this bozo that ruined VH, but he see's himself as their saviour.
It's crazy, but that's Hagar's mindset.

punkatomic
November 23rd, 2011, 12:04 PM
I don't think Hagar is scared, only because i truly believe Hagar thinks he is superior to DLR.
No matter how good this album may be, Sam will not think it measures up to his time in VH.
Read his book (if only to laugh!).
There is no doubt in my mind that Sam believes what he did with Eddie, Al & Mike, out-classes
classic VH.
It went beyond fear or insecurity, the man truly has a gargantuan ego!

We see him as this bozo that ruined VH, but he see's himself as their saviour.
It's crazy, but that's Hagar's mindset.I would bet that if Van Halen's new music is any good, he will somehow try to take credit for it or piss in the pool. Mark my words. You know how Sammy works.

Stuff like:

"Oh yeah, Eddie and I worked on that riff in the 90's."

"It's good and all, but Mike and I is what that songs really needs."

"I came up with that hook when Eddie was puking his guts out."

"Bout time! I knew they had it in them!"

"No doubt, I'll work with Van Halen again."

"Blah Blah Blah"

unchainedguitars
November 23rd, 2011, 12:14 PM
He certainly will.

"Oh yeah, man, we thought that riff was a throwaway...
Guess they thought it was good enough for Dave."

wimpyliberalbuster32
November 23rd, 2011, 12:25 PM
People--this is a Classic VanHalen forum !!! Sammy sucks !! I saw Sammy in the very early 80's at the Texas Jam (I was a kid) and he sucked then just as he sucks now !!! Yes, he has a few cool solo songs and riffs but for the most part he just sucks !!! His time in VH was his best time. After the new VH drops--Sammy will no longer be relevant anyhow !!!
Now, to all those who wanna attack me over this issue---I do not give a damn--bring it on !!!
EVH is GOD

Flailing your virtual feces and dick under Ed again, huh? #Adnoydall'd :tounge:

wimpyliberalbuster32
November 23rd, 2011, 12:26 PM
Just wondering..why would anyone be upset that they are using old recycle riffs for the new album? That means it could have a vintage VH sound, and not something like Throwup For Breakfast.

1234over
November 23rd, 2011, 12:29 PM
Yes-man singer? It was Ed's idea to construct that whole album around Gary's lyrics... Sure he said yeah, but that was a poor decision on Ed's part. It should be known that I like III, and take it over most of the Hagar garbage.

That's fine, but the point is that EVH is lost without other people handling everything except the guitar playing.

1234over
November 23rd, 2011, 12:35 PM
Just wondering..why would anyone be upset that they are using old recycle riffs for the new album? That means it could have a vintage VH sound, and not something like Throwup For Breakfast.

It doesn't bother me at all. They went back to the Warner Demos many times to polish up and update old material.

EVH_Erupted
November 23rd, 2011, 12:56 PM

That's what I've been thinking.

I won't complain if there are riffs that were written by a young Edward.

I would like to see if he can write stuff though, but not porno soundtracks or shitty B-side sounding songs.

If he can top the stuff he wrote like Me Wise Magic and Can't Get This Stuff No More then I think they've got something.

ckr1231
November 23rd, 2011, 04:45 PM
Flailing your virtual feces and dick under Ed again, huh? #Adnoydall'd :tounge:
Ahahahahaah EVH is GOD Ahahahahaahahaha

i1sum2!
November 23rd, 2011, 07:02 PM
Can't ya see....
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b127/swapmeetlouie/lookupc.jpg

Can't you see, oh, can't you see
What that Hagar, been doin' to me...

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b127/swapmeetlouie/UntilTheTrainRunOuttaTrack.jpg

Iím gonna buy me a ticket as far as I can,
I ain't never comin' back
Iím gonna take me that southbound,
All the way to Georgia now,
ĎTill the train it run out of track...

i1sum2!
November 23rd, 2011, 07:03 PM
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b127/swapmeetlouie/samatvhfacebookwall.jpg

Again, Hagar has no reason whatsoever to be "scared" of VHIV. Ho golly, that's just so f'n absurd! LMAO!

ckr1231
November 23rd, 2011, 07:31 PM
Sammy is a drunken fat fuck who (although older than the rest of VH) used to open for VH at clubs and parties in 1976 & 1977 !!!
Yes, he has a few good solo songs and riffs, but he I don't see the new Chickenuts CD topping the charts or getting any airplay.
Has anyone heard a Chickenuts song on the radio lately ? Yet, I am hearing VH with DLR everyday !!!

vhfanjack
November 23rd, 2011, 11:52 PM
Old riffs is a good sign. Old riffs will be better than new riffs. Also, there's been stuff from the vault on every album except I think OU812, so what Sammy is saying is nothing groundbreaking.

"Sammy sucks". What are we? 12 year olds? Sure, I don't like him and neither do others, but you can't just say that he sucks. What kind of logic is that? The dude is a multi-millionaire for his musicianship and selling tequila. I'm pretty sure it doesn't suck to be sleeping on over 80 million bucks every night.

unchainedguitars
November 24th, 2011, 01:19 AM
That's fine, but the point is that EVH is lost without other people handling everything except the guitar playing.

WTF, man, you're starting to sound like the other bozo on here, that gets off on raggin' on Eddie.

Everyone gets old.
The well does run dry for most musicians, and a lot of creativity is lost.
NOT just Eddie.

Listen to a song like, "Women in Love" or "Ain't talkin' bout Love."
It's all right there, music AND the melody.
There's no big collaborative effort happening, it's the guitar player creating the riff & the
melody, and handing it to the other guys.
The other guys add their input, but the song is right in front of them.
"Hey Dave, add a vocal."

You constantly reduce Eddie to this Yngwie Malmsteen-esque/ chronic soloist, that can't do anything
remotely musical, without Mike & Dave showing him the way.
Eddie has proven he is more than just a guitarist, but an actual musician.
His ideas were the heart & soul of that band's classic period, you betcha.
You can rag on him in his old age, you can pretend that the way he is now, is how
he's always been, or you can understand that he's gotten older & less prolific.

Don't belittle the guy & pretend he was simply just the guitarist.
Respect the guy for the impact he's had, the songs he's composed (trust me, it wasn't Mike),
and the incredibly ideas & creativity he showed us, on those early, essential albums.

1234over
November 24th, 2011, 04:15 AM
WTF, man, you're starting to sound like the other bozo on here, that gets off on raggin' on Eddie.

Everyone gets old.
The well does run dry for most musicians, and a lot of creativity is lost.
NOT just Eddie.

Listen to a song like, "Women in Love" or "Ain't talkin' bout Love."
It's all right there, music AND the melody.
There's no big collaborative effort happening, it's the guitar player creating the riff & the
melody, and handing it to the other guys.
The other guys add their input, but the song is right in front of them.
"Hey Dave, add a vocal."

You constantly reduce Eddie to this Yngwie Malmsteen-esque/ chronic soloist, that can't do anything
remotely musical, without Mike & Dave showing him the way.
Eddie has proven he is more than just a guitarist, but an actual musician.
His ideas were the heart & soul of that band's classic period, you betcha.
You can rag on him in his old age, you can pretend that the way he is now, is how
he's always been, or you can understand that he's gotten older & less prolific.

Don't belittle the guy & pretend he was simply just the guitarist.
Respect the guy for the impact he's had, the songs he's composed (trust me, it wasn't Mike),
and the incredibly ideas & creativity he showed us, on those early, essential albums.

C'mon, UG.

I love, love, love, EVH's playing. I'm really not trying to belittle him. He is way beyond Ingrid Marpsten in my eyes. He isn't some kind of finger exercise guru. It's true that on this board I feel the need to defend Roth, and thereby attack EVH, but he is my biggest musical influence. I know that he was the main musical force behind the music we love, but his output without Roth (the stuff he seemingly PREFERS!!) really makes me question the source of my fascination. I really believe that it is Roth's INTERPRETATION of Ed's music that I relate to.

In any other context EVH's music has held zero interest for me. I have to ask myself "Why?". The only conclusion I have reached is that Roth and Templeman played crucial roles in developing the music. Is that illogical? I'm open to arguments, I just haven't heard any that have convinced me.
Ed is an ESSENTIAL ingredient, but I have to believe that ROTH IS TOO!

I'm not trying to be a dick, even though I may playfully challenge others on this board. I just can't figure out any other reason why EVH doesn't capture my imagination without Roth. It doesn't make me happy to say that!

i1sum2!
November 24th, 2011, 06:35 AM
I suspect that once again, Hagar may be right when he says they're just gonna be recycling riffs. EVH hasn't written a song in years. He also has a history of delving into his the old catalog so it's not exactly a stretch to fathom that he'll do it again.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b127/swapmeetlouie/huggn1.jpg

vhfanjack
November 24th, 2011, 06:46 AM
Exactly. "Dirty Water Dog" had riffs from "I Want Some Action", which was also used on Steve Lukather's "Twise the Knife". The intro to "Take me Back" is the intro to "No more waiting (get off my back)". "On Top of the World"... The outro riff to "Jump" was supposed to be an intro riff to another song, but it got editing wrong by sounded good. "House of Pain"... Club Days standard. Then there's more, but obviously there's nothing wrong with them using their huge pool of songs for their first few albums. Also, Ed played the intro to "Big Trouble" in one of his solos in 1993. He will use old riffs again.

The pre-solo riff in "Get Up" is from "Act Like it Hurts" too... And I don't see what the big deal is. It will definitely happen, and if it's an old riff it can't be bad because it's Ed of old, not old Eddie.

i1sum2!
November 24th, 2011, 06:54 AM
Exactly. "Dirty Water Dog" had riffs from "I Want Some Action", which was also used on Steve Lukather's "Twise the Knife". The intro to "Take me Back" is the intro to "No more waiting (get off my back)". "On Top of the World"... The outro riff to "Jump" was supposed to be an intro riff to another song, but it got editing wrong by sounded good. "House of Pain"... Club Days standard. Then there's more, but obviously there's nothing wrong with them using their huge pool of songs for their first few albums. Also, Ed played the intro to "Big Trouble" in one of his solos in 1993. He will use old riffs again.

The pre-solo riff in "Get Up" is from "Act Like it Hurts" too... And I don't see what the big deal is. It will definitely happen, and if it's an old riff it can't be bad because it's Ed of old, not old Eddie.

Well, I wouldn't say that it's a big deal necessarily, but it does mean that the well may be dry now and their creative juices ain't what they used to be. A telling sign certainly. I still think it's hilarious to see the Peanut Gallery get their panties in a wad just because Hagar suggested that. If anyone else had said the same, it wouldn't have mattered.

ckr1231
November 24th, 2011, 09:31 AM
Old riffs is a good sign. Old riffs will be better than new riffs. Also, there's been stuff from the vault on every album except I think OU812, so what Sammy is saying is nothing groundbreaking.

"Sammy sucks". What are we? 12 year olds? Sure, I don't like him and neither do others, but you can't just say that he sucks. What kind of logic is that? The dude is a multi-millionaire for his musicianship and selling tequila. I'm pretty sure it doesn't suck to be sleeping on over 80 million bucks every night.

Eddie's U.S. holdings are about 85 million
Sammy's are about 105 million
No telling how much money these guys have in other countries !!!
I just like sayin Sammy sucks becuase it make a cool title for a VH song !!!
Ahahahaahahah

i1sum2!
November 26th, 2011, 09:56 AM
You would think though, that this being Edward Van Halen, that he wouldn't or shouldn't have to use old material. Guitar genius like him? Pffft!

Personally, I think if you're claiming to be a new band, that you should come up with all new material and not rely on the past. It is they who are still stuck in the pasture of yore. Hagar's claim isn't exactly unfounded here.

Nick AVH fan
November 26th, 2011, 09:26 PM
Weren't some of the songs on first few albums old material for them anyways? Practically the first album, some of the second and WACF had songs that were already circulating around the clubs for years. Most, if not all, are the classic songs we love. Meaning they know how to write material by themselves even with older stuff. I'm hoping they can put shit together with what they're doing, but I'm confident that they can. They don't need Templeman to put together good songs, and honestly you don't need to have an instrumental completed before thinking of lyrics.

I don't know how Sammy made songs with Monstrose or by himself, but the way he does it with Chickenfoot is just another way to write songs, it's not like thats the standard way to write them.

Look, whether or not its old/new material the magic of creating a song is DOING IT. I mean come on, it's not like they're going to slap shit together they're going to work it out somehow.

1234over
November 26th, 2011, 10:25 PM
Weren't some of the songs on first few albums old material for them anyways? Practically the first album, some of the second and WACF had songs that were already circulating around the clubs for years. Most, if not all, are the classic songs we love. Meaning they know how to write material by themselves even with older stuff. I'm hoping they can put shit together with what they're doing, but I'm confident that they can. They don't need Templeman to put together good songs, and honestly you don't need to have an instrumental completed before thinking of lyrics.

I don't know how Sammy made songs with Monstrose or by himself, but the way he does it with Chickenfoot is just another way to write songs, it's not like thats the standard way to write them.

Look, whether or not its old/new material the magic of creating a song is DOING IT. I mean come on, it's not like they're going to slap shit together they're going to work it out somehow.

I'm confused by this post.

i1sum2!
November 27th, 2011, 08:09 AM
Hey Ed, I predict in a few short years that you'll be recycling old riffs.
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b127/swapmeetlouie/EVHinkmarks.jpg

ckr1231
November 27th, 2011, 08:30 AM
Hey Ed, I predict in a few short years that you'll be recycling old riffs.
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b127/swapmeetlouie/EVHinkmarks.jpg

Notice---Eddie has Sammy Sucks on his chest---he knew the truth even back then !!!

unchainedguitars
November 27th, 2011, 01:23 PM
Jeez, VH always recycled old riffs.

The key is that they made them better.
"Hang 'em High" destroys "Last nite."
"Mean street" destroys "Voodoo Queen/She's the woman."
"Whiskey" went from a dated 70's rock tune, to a lean, mean 1980 scorcher.

Then you get Chickenfeed writing BRAND NEW SONGS, but everyone of them
sounds like a million other generic rock songs.

CF put out two, sterile records, the second one tanking, as the novelty had
already worn off.
Their drummer bailed & went off to his real job.
So what's left?

NEW VAN HALEN!

vhfanjack
November 27th, 2011, 07:01 PM
Jeez, VH always recycled old riffs.

The key is that they made them better.
"Hang 'em High" destroys "Last nite."
"Mean street" destroys "Voodoo Queen/She's the woman."
"Whiskey" went from a dated 70's rock tune, to a lean, mean 1980 scorcher.

Exactly.
That's why I don't get why everyone is so surprised by Sammy's claims. He's always done it!
And if he does, it's his old stuff. He wrote it, therefore he can use it. Not much point in good riffs or songs lying around un-used.

unchainedguitars
November 28th, 2011, 06:36 AM
Exactly.
That's why I don't get why everyone is so surprised by Sammy's claims. He's always done it!
And if he does, it's his old stuff. He wrote it, therefore he can use it. Not much point in good riffs or songs lying around un-used.

I hope they update "She's the woman," though it will be hard not to include it's "Mean street" pre-solo, part, which was
a big part of the song.
I think they will update, "Big Trouble."
Wasn't that supposed to appear on Diverdown, or am i thinking of another track?

We are getting closer, folks.
End of November, new VH on the horizon...

vhfanjack
November 28th, 2011, 07:01 AM
I hope they update "She's the woman," though it will be hard not to include it's "Mean street" pre-solo, part, which was
a big part of the song.
I think they will update, "Big Trouble."
Wasn't that supposed to appear on Diverdown, or am i thinking of another track?

We are getting closer, folks.
End of November, new VH on the horizon...

Yeah, that is a great tune. BUT it does sound a bit like "I'm the One". That's the only bad thing, and the Mean Street part too. I'd also like to do "Light In The Sky", "Let's Get Rockin'" or your favourite "We Die Bold".. But they'd be a bit too dated.
They did do "Big Trouble" for DD. They'd have to rework the lyrics maybe since Dave used the title on EEAS.

I'm getting excited... But I don't want to be let down. But damn, I really want some new music now.

Incomudro
November 28th, 2011, 08:54 AM
Old riffs, new riffs, bits, pieces edited together - none of that matters to me.
As long as it's good.

I would love for this recording to set the world on fire, show everyone what real rock music is, and send scores of bands scrambling about to capture a piece of this VH sound like they did some 30 plus years ago.
Unfortunately, the realist in me knows that it's a rare thing for bands at the zenith of their careers to be able to re capture that old magic.
Looking at the record, most bands have a creative arc.
In the case of VH, there was no arc - they are one of those bands that achieved maximum muzzel velocity right out of the barrel. Witness Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin as other examples
For other bands, sometimes the first couple of discs are a struggle - 'till they hone their scope.
Pink Floyd for example.
In almost all bands however, the creative peak lies in the early third of the band.
That's where the fire is, the drive, the youthfull energy, rage, lust etc.
We'll have to see what the boys bring to the table.

i1sum2!
November 28th, 2011, 08:58 AM
Notice---Eddie has Sammy Sucks on his chest---he knew the truth even back then !!!

EVH was so fucked up that 2004 tour that they could do whatever they wanted to him. There's another pic of him with "5150" on his belly. Apparently, he went to the beach one day and passed out. They taped that on him and he got sunburned. Still looking for that one.

This one from the last tour, they got him with the marker. Again.

i1sum2!
November 28th, 2011, 09:02 AM
Recycling riffs? Whose got time for that? Not me. I'd rather be at an Alterbridge show.
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b127/swapmeetlouie/EddieNIN.jpg

Or, at a Sammy Hagar booksigning.
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b127/swapmeetlouie/hagar_autographs.jpg

wimpyliberalbuster32
November 28th, 2011, 09:19 AM
Or, at a Sammy Hagar booksigning.
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b127/swapmeetlouie/hagar_autographs.jpg

OK this one had me peeing my pants. Do you make these yourself?

i1sum2!
November 28th, 2011, 09:41 AM
Old riffs, new riffs, bits, pieces edited together - none of that matters to me.
As long as it's good.

I would love for this recording to set the world on fire, show everyone what real rock music is, and send scores of bands scrambling about to capture a piece of this VH sound like they did some 30 plus years ago.
Unfortunately, the realist in me knows that it's a rare thing for bands at the zenith of their careers to be able to re capture that old magic.
Looking at the record, most bands have a creative arc.
In the case of VH, there was no arc - they are one of those bands that achieved maximum muzzel velocity right out of the barrel. Witness Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin as other examples
For other bands, sometimes the first couple of discs are a struggle - 'till they hone their scope.
Pink Floyd for example.
In almost all bands however, the creative peak lies in the early third of the band.
That's where the fire is, the drive, the youthfull energy, rage, lust etc.
We'll have to see what the boys bring to the table.

All true and good points but, I still think these guys should give the fans all new music if they claim to be a new band, which really, they are. They're going to rely on the past to boost their credibility now.

Incomudro
November 28th, 2011, 10:05 AM
They're in an awefully strange, and not necessarily good position - aren't they?
If Sammy were still with them, they could put out another Sammy recording and it would be...
Well, another Sammy recording.
More of the same, Sams voice is still strong and it would probably do quite well.

Another Dave recording brings up lots of questions.
What's Dave going to sound like on the recording?
I saw the reunion, and Dave worked hard to actually sing them, not like some of those old days when in a live setting he just barked out some words and let Mike and Ed carry the songs via the chorus's.
Still, one can't help but to want to hear his ballsy, whisky soaked voice like it used to be.
How's it going to compare?
Are we going to cringe?
I hope not.

Then, there's the material, sound and musical direction.
Grunge is gone, so they don't need to echo that in order to sound current - but what should they sound like.
Should they sound like classic VH?
That's what I would want, and I'd imagine it's what most fans want.

unchainedguitars
November 28th, 2011, 06:10 PM
1984 is my least favorite of the six pack, yet i absolutely love the bootlegs from that final tour with
Dave (not the 2007 one, the 1984 one).

I even have an amazing live DVD from that show (Montreal), and i got myself one & Jane one,
back on eBay.
I think that particular show absolutely smokes the US festival.
You can tell Ed & Dave don't like one another, yet both guys just sound fantastic.
Must be the friction creating some great performances.
They had a great set-list, on that tour, as well.

wimpyliberalbuster32
November 29th, 2011, 02:02 PM
1984 is my least favorite of the six pack, yet i absolutely love the bootlegs from that final tour with

I even have an amazing live DVD from that show (Montreal), and i got myself one & Jane one,
back on eBay.
You can tell Ed & Dave don't like one another, yet both guys just sound fantastic.

If you notice during that show none of the band members interact, they are all on separate parts of the stage, and during some songs if I remember correctly Dave is one a separate riser/stage behind the drumset, completely isolated.

unchainedguitars
November 29th, 2011, 04:44 PM
If you notice during that show none of the band members interact, they are all on separate parts of the stage, and during some songs if I remember correctly Dave is one a separate riser/stage behind the drumset, completely isolated.

It's true!

Ed barely moves from his spot, on that DVD i have, yet he looks really into what he's playing.
He plays great & Dave really focuses on the crowd.
It's all falling apart, internally, but they still deliver the goods.
HFT sounds monsterous on that tour, too.
You can tell they really get off on that "new" one!

i1sum2!
November 29th, 2011, 05:27 PM
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b127/swapmeetlouie/ss0xk.jpg

Mallonmusic
November 29th, 2011, 10:26 PM
I wouldnt doubt if a lot of the stuff is recycled from the scrap pile. Even though VH put out a lot of albums in a short time back in the day. Over all if you take how long they have been around and how many albums they put out and how much "filler" such as covers, instrumentals etc they really are not a very prolific band. Considering most of the six pack was written before they even made the big time:57:

Simon Ribeiro
November 30th, 2011, 08:40 AM
Considering most of the six pack was written before they even made the big time.

No problem with that, right?

i1sum2!
November 30th, 2011, 04:24 PM
no problem with that, right?

SAMMY HAGAR is right though.

Jungle Drummer
November 30th, 2011, 07:00 PM
Van Halen have taken unused riffs and recycled them on EVERY album, regardless of the singer. Who cares? If a riff is good, it should get used eventually. I like how some people act like they have been a fly on the wall during the entire recording process of this album, and make blanket statements and say they "know" something for a fact. I'm not talking just about Sam.

Jungle Drummer
November 30th, 2011, 07:08 PM

back on eBay.

I loved Ed's extended solos from the 84 tour. From using that bolted on flipup tray to "piano tap", to the blues jam with Al, he didnt just do a "typical" EVH solo on that tour. I dont recall him doing the "Eruption" tapping run on that tour but he did do some out of this world renditions of the "Spanish Fly" tapping on that tour. The best version of SF he ever did IMO. He seem to just "noodle" more, especially on the European leg, particularly right before he and Al would bust into some blues jam.

Simon Ribeiro
December 1st, 2011, 04:47 AM
spammy hagar is right though.

Sappy gaybar sung over old material as well. Did that made him less rich?

i1sum2!
December 1st, 2011, 12:55 PM
Sappy gaybar sung over old material as well. Did that made him less rich?

For instance?

punkatomic
December 1st, 2011, 01:04 PM
For instance?

...Top of the World....

punkatomic
December 1st, 2011, 01:05 PM
For instance?

...Summer Nights....

KTC5150
December 1st, 2011, 01:14 PM
Good Enough, Right Now, just to name 2 others...

i1sum2!
December 1st, 2011, 02:00 PM
So, you two actually listen to Van Hagar? LMAO

KTC5150
December 1st, 2011, 02:16 PM
Eddie said in MULTIPLE tv & print interviews that a lot of Sammy's stuff is based off of old music he had...

KTC5150
December 1st, 2011, 02:18 PM

I like the music, I just wish SLAMMY wasn't singing over it... Kinda like when the boys did "Pleasure Dome" as an intro to Alex's Drum Solo in 1991-1993

uakL6PFQyj0

Jungle Drummer
December 2nd, 2011, 12:33 AM
I like the music, I just wish SLAMMY wasn't singing over it... Kinda like when the boys did "Pleasure Dome" as an intro to Alex's Drum Solo in 1991-1993

uakL6PFQyj0

Love the music to Pleasure Dome! Alex is a beast on that one.

punkatomic
December 2nd, 2011, 12:59 AM
Isn't Sammy Hagar the same fellow that claimed he was visited by Aliens?

Didn't Mr. Hagar claim these "Aliens" "downloaded" some information from him?

I could be wrong, but didn't he claim that there wasn't going to be a NEW album from Van Halen?

If memory serves me, didn't he claim that Chickenfoot was Led Zeppelin like?

Wasn't it The Red Rocker that claimed that there's no substitute for red and red is his number, sure as a coma?

I think it was Sammy that claimed that only time will tell If we stand the test of time?

Simon Ribeiro
December 2nd, 2011, 04:05 AM

I do listen to Van hagar - I even own all their records.
It has soft versions of Edward and Alex, right?

I don't see a problem with that!

Jungle Drummer
December 2nd, 2011, 08:35 PM

I do listen to Van hagar - I even own all their records.
It has soft versions of Edward and Alex, right?

I don't see a problem with that!

Yep. I love every VH record to some degree. There are atleast a few musical gems from the bros. on each record.

unchainedguitars
December 2nd, 2011, 11:00 PM
Isn't Sammy Hagar the same fellow that claimed he was visited by Aliens?

Didn't Mr. Hagar claim these "Aliens" "downloaded" some information from him?

I could be wrong, but didn't he claim that there wasn't going to be a NEW album from Van Halen?

If memory serves me, didn't he claim that Chickenfoot was Led Zeppelin like?

Wasn't it The Red Rocker that claimed that there's no substitute for red and red is his number, sure as a coma?

I think it was Sammy that claimed that only time will tell If we stand the test of time?

I feel like sayin', "Ya know, Sammy, you had a dream.
There were no aliens downloading shit into your brain, it was all a bad freaking dream.
We all get these from time to time.
It doesn't mean these things actually happened."

IronicA
December 3rd, 2011, 08:57 PM
I feel like sayin', "Ya know, Sammy, you had a dream.
There were no aliens downloading shit into your brain, it was all a bad freaking dream.
We all get these from time to time.
It doesn't mean these things actually happened."

Do we??

http://i43.tinypic.com/23k6vcy.jpg (http://i43.tinypic.com/23k6vcy.jpg)

LOL

vhfanjack
December 4th, 2011, 01:43 AM
I always thought that Simon hated Van Hagar:57:

punkatomic
December 4th, 2011, 08:14 AM
I always thought that Simon hated Van Hagar:57:I can't speak for Simon, but I always thought that Simon never cared for Sammy Hagar.

Kind of like myself.

Simon Ribeiro
December 26th, 2011, 06:54 AM
I can't speak for Simon, but I always thought that Simon never cared for Sammy Hagar.

Kind of like myself.

Yep - pretty much this! Why care for spam?
Once a sucker, always a sucker!

the_atomicpunk
January 30th, 2012, 10:06 AM
And Sammy did another interview...this time a big VH-bashing...
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=168965

wimpyliberalbuster32
January 30th, 2012, 10:20 AM
Ho-ly fuck-balls. What a jealous bag of shit! I f didn't read what atomicpunk posted, do it. You'll laugh your ass off.

ckr1231
January 30th, 2012, 04:26 PM
People, people---we will all the get a chance to piss in Sammy's mouth !!!

Simon Ribeiro
January 31st, 2012, 05:16 AM
And Spammy did another interview...this time a big VH-bashing...
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=168965

Sucker is a weirdo. :plain:

eruption78
February 6th, 2012, 04:32 PM
This.

This is what makes me want to puke when I read that fat-fucking clown's statements... which is it fatso? Sorry that Ed has riffs and made you actually have to construct a song and that only served to highlight your terrible 'songwriting'. It's hard working with a genius and in the shadow of greatness at the same time.

I'm sure it's easy with paint-by-numbers-wanker-no-tone-having-joe-satch handing you pieces ready to go, most with melodies I'm sure.

In closing... fuck you, samual roy hagar. :piss:

This is true

I know this was posted awhile ago but this is fucking great! I just had to give this guy credit for this.. I couldn't have said it better..