PDA

View Full Version : New Label Finally?

i1sum2!
September 16th, 2011, 10:11 AM
http://www.hitsdailydouble.com/news/newsPage.cgi?news08690m01

Rock May No Longer Be as Gigantic as It Once Was, but It Ain’t Dead Yet
September 16, 2011

In an era that embraces divas, rappers and dance tracks, a number of the majors have moved away from rock. Concurrently, and perhaps not coincidentally, rock radio has also fallen on hard times, as evidenced by the recent demise of Q101, leaving only adult-leaving WXRT in Chicago, while New York and Cleveland now have no contemporary rock stations whatsoever—a situation that would have been incomprehensible in past decades.

On the other hand, rock stations in Top 10 markets L.A., Philly, Boston, Detroit, Dallas and Houston are all extremely successful. But while guitar-based music is struggling in some areas, it’s absurd to say rock is dead at a time when the form contains such potent acts as U2, Coldplay, AC/DC, Kings of Leon, Muse, Foo Fighters, Dave Matthews Band, the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Green Day, Linkin Park, Paramore, the Black Keys, Florence & the Machine, Thirty Seconds to Mars, MGMT, Death Cab for Cutie, Arcade Fire, Radiohead, Pearl Jam, Phoenix, Vampire Weekend and Mumford & Sons, each with its own loyal fan base.

What’s different is that few rock singles get massive spins these days, though when they do, as with KOL’s “Use Somebody” and Mumford & Sons’ “Little Lion Man,” they sell big numbers of albums, with KOL’s Only by the Night selling 2.18m (without a hit, the following Come Around Sundown got to 657k) and Mumford’s Sigh No More now at 1.79k—achieving this impressive total with zero Top 40 spins.

At this point in time, a rock album with sufficient sustained airplay can typically do between 600-900k, as with the Black Keys’ Brothers (832k), Florence & the Machine’s Lungs (780k) and Arcade Fire’s The Suburbs (680k). Currently carrying the rock banner at rock radio is Foster the People, whose “Pumped Up Kicks” has become one of 2011’s definitive hits, resulting in album sales on Torches of 275k to date, while RCA and Warner Bros. are presently attempting to cross the Foo Fighters and the Chili Peppers to pop.

Be that as it may, some labels have opted to put rock on the back burner, deeming it too risky and expensive. One of the first to do so was Interscope, which has been hugely successful with the likes of Lady Gaga, Black Eyed Peas and Eminem, while parting ways with Beck, Weezer, Snow Patrol, Papa Roach and Nine Inch Nails during the last couple of years, and is now down to U2, No Doubt, Blink-182, All American Rejects and Rise Against. The irony here is that the company is led by Jimmy Iovine, who built his reputation working with Bruce Springsteen, Patti Smith and Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers.

Now, Warner Bros., another label headed by a big-time rock producer in Rob Cavallo, while still entrenched in the rock business, would like to become a more well-rounded operation, in keeping with today’s mainstream. The label still has the Black Keys, Green Day, Muse, Linkin Park and the Chili Peppers, and though Metallica is out of contract, WBR is putting out the band’s collaborative LP with Lou Reed, despite the fact that it has little mainstream potential, based as it is on a pair of German Expressionist plays.

While industry observers point to the reduction of Warner/Reprise promotion from two staffs to one under new overall department head Peter Gray as evidence of the label’s desire to become a more stylistically eclectic and competitive label, those in the know point out that this two-to-one move has been in the works for years.

Lyor Cohen would have been done so long ago, they say, having concluded that WBR’s A&R staff wasn’t signing enough viable acts to warrant two departments, but he was thwarted by a clause in Tom Whalley’s contract stipulating such a structure—and this issue was believed to be one of the issues leading to their acrimonious relationship. All eyes are now on Gray as he reorganizes the company’s promotion team…

The same can be said for Epic promotion—a clear-cut priority for newly installed label head L.A. Reid considering the radio-centric acts he signs—under newly hired leader Erik Olesen. He succeeds Jacqueline Saturn, who is staying at the label in an as yet unspecified role, making for an awkward situation…

After spending its entire 35-year career at WB, Van Halen, with David Lee Roth back in the fold, recently completed work on its first album for new label Columbia, coming early next year…

And though rock record revenues have diminished, the concert business, led by acts with multi-decade careers playing arenas and stadiums, has held steady and in some cases has actually increased. The same is true with high-profile festivals like Coachella, which has locked in No Doubt and Radiohead as two of next year’s headliners…

Names in the rumor mill: Bernstein and Mensch, Bono, Dave Grohl , Ken Levitan, Ian Montone, Bob Rock and Brian Eno.

unchainedguitars
September 16th, 2011, 12:34 PM
Excellent information!

Columbia used to be Aerosmith's old label, pre-Geffen.
Sadly, though, we won't get any new VH until 2012, which seems like a poor time
to release a new record.

Simon Ribeiro
September 16th, 2011, 12:41 PM
Excellent information!

Ditto! :thumbs-up:

Mallonmusic
September 17th, 2011, 10:12 AM
I heard there picking up where they left off and signed a 13 year 1 album deal!

VAiN
September 17th, 2011, 10:51 AM

:05:

Nice!

VAiN
September 17th, 2011, 10:54 AM
After spending its entire 35-year career at WB, Van Halen, with David Lee Roth back in the fold, recently completed work on its first album for new label Columbia, coming early next year…

If this is true - fan-fuckin-tastic! I'm down with a March/April release and catching them in June... Who likes ice cream? Summer's right around the corner...

i1sum2!
September 17th, 2011, 12:00 PM
Surprised that Columbia hasn't announced them joining their label though. You would think they would with a band of their stature.

VAiN
September 17th, 2011, 02:34 PM
Surprised that Columbia hasn't announced them joining their label though. You would think they would with a band of their stature.

If it's true, I'm guessing it's because there's no actual product yet.. Once the album is ready to ship I can see them doing an announcement with a release date and tour info. I'm cool with a summer 2012 tour...

Jungle Drummer
September 17th, 2011, 04:51 PM
I was actually hoping they wouldnt hit Washington State until the summer because I'm hoping they will play the Gorge again. Saw them there in 95 and 98. For those not from around here, it is a phenomenal outdoor venue overlooking the Columbia River with outstanding natural accoustics and the sun goes down right behind the stage. Just an awesome place to see VH and theyve never been there with Dave. Still wish the album would come out before Christmas but maybe we'll atleast get a single to finish the year off right.

unchainedguitars
September 17th, 2011, 08:01 PM
I can't believe we are now looking towords NEXT summer!

Man, this Summer is still here, and we got a "Get Ready" in July.
WTF is wrong with these guys?

I'm tired of waiting, at this point.

unchainedguitars
September 17th, 2011, 08:02 PM

Don't worry!

There will be four, brand new "Best of's" every three years.

VAiN
September 17th, 2011, 10:10 PM
I can't believe we are now looking towords NEXT summer!

Man, this Summer is still here, and we got a "Get Ready" in July.
WTF is wrong with these guys?

I'm tired of waiting, at this point.

Oh, I agree.. they even suck the fun out of dysfunctional.. But it is what it is. I've waited this long, an other few months won't kill me. In fact, I actually appreciate not having to travel in the winter. It'll be here before we know it..

vhfanjack
September 18th, 2011, 02:51 AM
At the end of the '08 Tour Al said that fans may "get a present" in Christmas '09. I thought that was a long wait... This album will never come. Just release a boxset already! Or stop procrastinating! God Dammit...

i1sum2!
September 18th, 2011, 08:04 AM
At the end of the '08 Tour Al said that fans may "get a present" in Christmas '09. I thought that was a long wait... This album will never come. Just release a boxset already! Or stop procrastinating! God Dammit...

I'd much rather have that for a Christmas present this year myself. Unreleased tunes, classic concert footage from their prime, never before seen photos, liner notes galore. I need something I can sink my teeth into. Tuba solos....

instead, he would rather give you flip flops....

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b127/swapmeetlouie/CashGrabwithFlipFlops.jpg

Achilleslastand
September 18th, 2011, 11:20 AM
I'd much rather have that for a Christmas present this year myself. Unreleased tunes, classic concert footage from their prime, never before seen photos, liner notes galore. I need something I can sink my teeth into. Tuba solos....

instead, he would rather give you flip flops....

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b127/swapmeetlouie/CashGrabwithFlipFlops.jpg

Dream big i always say.
Its better to set your expectations low when dealing with VH that way youll never be dissapointed.

unchainedguitars
September 18th, 2011, 06:06 PM
Set your expectations below dirt level, because we get nothing.

This album delay bugs the shit outta me.
I really feel like Charlie Brown with the football.
I'm wasting my entire life on this board, waiting for these guys to do anything.
Why am i here, why do i still care?
Is it old habits?

They give us NOTHING.

A boxset would be so easy, and Ed would have to do very little.
Give Rhino, or some label, the go ahead & they'd do it up right.
Instead, we get NOTHING.

EVH_Erupted
September 18th, 2011, 08:37 PM
As is everything with Van Halen: if it were easy (or reasonable), it would've already been done.

I'm really wondering how many times I'm going to be a fan through all this. Slowly, my confidence is waning.

Everyone's got a boxset these days, everyone's put out SOMETHING aside from apparel and guitar gear. I'd kill for some new music from these guys and after all this it better be fucking worth it, but I'm really thinking I should just set my standards low so I'm not greatly disappointed.

You're right. Why are we here? Is it because we've got nothing better to do, I certainly do, so then what is it? Diehard fanship? How can we say that after all this?

Bullshit, man, bullshit.

i1sum2!
September 19th, 2011, 10:58 AM
http://www.vhnd.com/2011/09/18/van-halencolumbia-records-rumor/

This marks the first rumor of Van Halen signing a new record deal. Hits Daily Double is known for being a reliable source for record industry news, but there has been no confirmation on this rumor yet from Van Halen or Columbia.

An inside source tells VHND.com that there have indeed been serious talks between the parties, but that, as of today, there is no signed deal.

They better hurry up, because we all know that the end of the world happens in 2012.

Simon Ribeiro
September 19th, 2011, 01:42 PM
They give us NOTHING.

JUST imagine the situation. WB owns some of the stuff we, die hard CVH fans, want to see and they just decide to release it after Van Halen 4.0 releases its brand new album thru Columbia. Maybe a box set, maybe some old videos from concerts they possibly own the tapes, but never had the chance to release it as the VH brothers wanted them not to be sold.

i1sum2!
September 19th, 2011, 05:34 PM
Yeah, but Warner Bros could have done that years ago, if they had the desire and inclination to get it out there to the buying public. They didn't though.

EVH_Erupted
September 20th, 2011, 04:04 PM
Yeah, but WB has really trodden off the path in the last two decades or so. They're more concerned with contemporary pop than old rock n roll legends.

Honestly, with the way media is going these day, why do they even need a label?

I mean, if they did manage to catch up with the rest of us from the Stone Age and get a good management, they won't need shit from WB or Columbia or whomever.

Dr. Roth
September 20th, 2011, 04:28 PM
Yeah, but WB has really trodden off the path in the last two decades or so. They're more concerned with contemporary pop than old rock n roll legends.

Honestly, with the way media is going these day, why do they even need a label?

I mean, if they did manage to catch up with the rest of us from the Stone Age and get a good management, they won't need shit from WB or Columbia or whomever.

You are right EE. If they had a functioning website and social media along with a release of a rippin single they wouldn't need a label. Dave had the DLRBand and Diamond Dave released on his WHAWAZAT label. They could do the same with this release. Cut out the middle man and make even more coin. They could theoretically make more money selling less records with out a record company taking a chunk.

Doc

i1sum2!
September 21st, 2011, 09:33 AM
You are right EE. If they had a functioning website and social media along with a release of a rippin single they wouldn't need a label. Dave had the DLRBand and Diamond Dave released on his WHAWAZAT label. They could do the same with this release. Cut out the middle man and make even more coin. They could theoretically make more money selling less records with out a record company taking a chunk.

Doc

I'll never understand why EVH was bitching about not "having any record label help" to front the money for recording time in last years GW interview. He's only worth about a frickin' 100 million dollars and could finance a whole album by himself easily with about 99.9 mil leftover. Guy has clearly lost his marbles a long time ago. These guys are still in the 80's mindset that you HAVE to have a label in order to do things. They don't have a CLUE about how todays world works and what they could do if they did know. When it comes to using any type of media format, they don't have an inkling.

Funny thing is, they won't secure any "long term" record deal whatsoever. Huh uh, not with their track record. This is a one time only thing, you watch. If I was an executive for a big label, no way would I venture a big risk such as they.

unchainedguitars
September 21st, 2011, 02:11 PM
I'll never understand why EVH was bitching about not "having any record label help" to front the money for recording time in last years GW interview. He's only worth about a frickin' 100 million dollars and could finance a whole album by himself easily with about 99.9 mil leftover. Guy has clearly lost his marbles a long time ago. These guys are still in the 80's mindset that you HAVE to have a label in order to do things. They don't have a CLUE about how todays world works and what they could do if they did know. When it comes to using any type of media format, they don't have an inkling.

Funny thing is, they won't secure any "long term" record deal whatsoever. Huh uh, not with their track record. This is a one time only thing, you watch. If I was an executive for a big label, no way would I venture a big risk such as they.

There has got to be a guy in Ed's team or business circle, saying, "Look, we are in the modern age, you have a million options for releasing new music without the burden of a major label.
People are doing things this way now, and pocketing a larger cut, as opposed to the way it was done in the 70's and 80's."

Eddie must be really set in his ways, and impossible to get through to.
I love the guy, but dealing with him in this day & age, has to be a huge frustration.
He seems like he decides to have all the answers, listening to only the "yes" men in his circle.
I just don't get it.

Eddie, you need a website.
You need to keep the band name alive & kicking, in the internet age.
You need to capitalize on your band's classic/legendary status, by releasing
things from the archives.
You need to update your followers & COMMUNICATE.
Being elusive does not work in 2011, people will forget you & move onto the next.

The sad thing is, he'd barely have to lift a finger.
There are professionals/people that will do all of these things for him!

VAiN
September 21st, 2011, 04:37 PM
It's been Ed's band for quite a while now, and Ed does not give a fuck about his fans. Not even a little. He doesn't want to tweet about the 10 albums he's doing, he doesn't want to be your facebook friend and he couldn't care less about a website - I mean, who goes on the fucking internets anyway??

Mallonmusic
September 21st, 2011, 10:40 PM

Yea i have joked about it but really what kinda deal could they get? Do you think any label in there rite mind would give them more then a one album deal? But either way i can't help but think something has gone astray. Why would Dave post Get Ready..... on his page if there still not even close to anything concrete? I don't know but i along with most of there fan base is just about done with them and there games. I know there not very internet savy but they have to have a clue about there fan unrest. But then again do they have a clue about anything?

Mallonmusic
September 21st, 2011, 10:45 PM
There has got to be a guy in Ed's team or business circle, saying, "Look, we are in the modern age, you have a million options for releasing new music without the burden of a major label.
People are doing things this way now, and pocketing a larger cut, as opposed to the way it was done in the 70's and 80's."

Eddie must be really set in his ways, and impossible to get through to.
I love the guy, but dealing with him in this day & age, has to be a huge frustration.
He seems like he decides to have all the answers, listening to only the "yes" men in his circle.
I just don't get it.

Eddie, you need a website.
You need to keep the band name alive & kicking, in the internet age.
You need to capitalize on your band's classic/legendary status, by releasing
things from the archives.
You need to update your followers & COMMUNICATE.
Being elusive does not work in 2011, people will forget you & move onto the next.

The sad thing is, he'd barely have to lift a finger.
There are professionals/people that will do all of these things for him!

Yea but i'm starting to think this "elusive" thing is just an off the cuff remark made by them at one time. And that its just them not giving a flying fuck! And to be honest i wouldnt be that upset if they made like R.E.M. and say thank you,,,,and good night! Would love if they could be a normal band again but at this point........o i don't know:57:

vhfanjack
September 22nd, 2011, 04:20 AM
They were never normal. Van Halen normal!!! Im sorry but you all seem to be a bit jaded with having to wait for the new music.

Welcome back bang....

i1sum2!
September 22nd, 2011, 08:10 AM
Yea i have joked about it but really what kinda deal could they get? Do you think any label in there rite mind would give them more then a one album deal? But either way i can't help but think something has gone astray. Why would Dave post Get Ready..... on his page if there still not even close to anything concrete? I don't know but i along with most of there fan base is just about done with them and there games. I know there not very internet savy but they have to have a clue about there fan unrest. But then again do they have a clue about anything?

I think Dave put that "Get Ready" message (That was July 2nd when it showed up) on his site simply because he thought they (VHIV) would announce their appearance at Soundwave. I took it as being that myself. It wasn't so much about the upcoming release as it was about them playing live down under imo.

The album was to be mastered by the end of September, and now here it is. That was the final thing to get done and I'd say it is. Now all they're having to do is find a way to get it distributed.

Yeah, fans everywhere are not happy. I see it everyday at the few remaining VH boards. It's not going to get any better unless they throw us a bone.

unchainedguitars
September 22nd, 2011, 10:42 AM
I think, in Eddie's mind, he feels "I'll just let the music do the talking."
He thinks once this new record is released, fans will still be there & all will be forgiven.
He seems completely wrapped up in his little musical womb, and that could just be part of
his makeup.
A lot of these artists are also completely clueless, when it comes to the basics.

He also strikes me as a guy who will never do what he doesn't want to do.
There are certain things artists should do, even if they view it as a hassle.
Eddie is one of those guys that doesnt budge, then says, "Why should i?
I'm making music."

He's kinda set in his ways, i guess.

1234over
September 22nd, 2011, 08:37 PM
I think, in Eddie's mind, he feels "I'll just let the music do the talking."
He thinks once this new record is released, fans will still be there & all will be forgiven.
He seems completely wrapped up in his little musical womb, and that could just be part of
his makeup.
A lot of these artists are also completely clueless, when it comes to the basics.

He also strikes me as a guy who will never do what he doesn't want to do.
There are certain things artists should do, even if they view it as a hassle.
Eddie is one of those guys that doesnt budge, then says, "Why should i?
I'm making music."

He's kinda set in his ways, i guess.

I think you are right about this stuff UG. And the person that wrote that EVH shouldn't have to tweet 10 times a day is missing the point. EVH doesn't have to do it, he needs to HIRE people to do these things.

EVH is from the era when bands were "raped and coddled". The musicians just had to show up for gigs and recording and do a little promo. EVH was never big on promo, DLR took care of that (we all know the current status of that). Bands would get ripped off, but didn't have to trouble themselves with developing business or life skills.

I mentioned before that I think what has held them up for so long is that EVH is insisting on controlling everything, and there are too many business decisions for his musical mind to make.

They don't really need a record company these days, but they have lived in a cocoon for 35 years and really aren't equipped tp become businessmen (if someone tries to convince me that EVH is the brains behind his merchandising, I will sell them a bridge).

unchainedguitars
September 22nd, 2011, 10:52 PM
I think you are right about this stuff UG. And the person that wrote that EVH shouldn't have to tweet 10 times a day is missing the point. EVH doesn't have to do it, he needs to HIRE people to do these things.

EVH is from the era when bands were "raped and coddled". The musicians just had to show up for gigs and recording and do a little promo. EVH was never big on promo, DLR took care of that (we all know the current status of that). Bands would get ripped off, but didn't have to trouble themselves with developing business or life skills.

I mentioned before that I think what has held them up for so long is that EVH is insisting on controlling everything, and there are too many business decisions for his musical mind to make.

They don't really need a record company these days, but they have lived in a cocoon for 35 years and really aren't equipped tp become businessmen (if someone tries to convince me that EVH is the brains behind his merchandising, I will sell them a bridge).

I deffinitely agree.

The thing that boggles my mind, is the muzzle on Roth.
If i'm not good at something, or if i don't want to make the effort to entertain the press & the fans, why refuse to let someone on my team, who'm does it well, do just that?
Roth is on his team.
He's playing for VH.
Eddie must have serious control issues, to retain all control to the detriment of his band.
It makes zero sense.

We get that Eddie hates certain aspects of the VH business, but there are others around him that excel at those things.
Why is Roth silent for five years?
Why is the website stuck in quicksand?
Why are there no updates on what's going on in the studio, besides fan chatter?

Something ain't right, there.

1234over
September 23rd, 2011, 01:46 AM
I deffinitely agree.

The thing that boggles my mind, is the muzzle on Roth.
If i'm not good at something, or if i don't want to make the effort to entertain the press & the fans, why refuse to let someone on my team, who'm does it well, do just that?
Roth is on his team.
He's playing for VH.
Eddie must have serious control issues, to retain all control to the detriment of his band.
It makes zero sense.

We get that Eddie hates certain aspects of the VH business, but there are others around him that excel at those things.
Why is Roth silent for five years?
Why is the website stuck in quicksand?
Why are there no updates on what's going on in the studio, besides fan chatter?

Something ain't right, there.

Paranoia? Cutting off the nose to spite the face? Self-defeating behavior?
Not sure what it is, but it has gotten ridiculous....

unchainedguitars
September 23rd, 2011, 01:37 PM
Paranoia? Cutting off the nose to spite the face? Self-defeating behavior?
Not sure what it is, but it has gotten ridiculous....

I'm telling you, it's related to all the years of self abuse with drugs & booze.
He is paranoid.
By not letting Dave speak to the masses, he is saying, 'I still don't trust this guy.'
They are in business together, for chrissakes!

VH's PR people must be losing their minds.
It's kinda like Axl refusing to do press for Chinese Democracy, then the thing promptly tanked.
Ed has a bit of the Axl syndrome in him.
Both are control freaks to their own detriment.

Mallonmusic
September 23rd, 2011, 02:18 PM
Yea Dave being so MIA is odd! Well not that odd but still not rite weather its his doing or the bands doing as time goes on it feals more and more wrong. Hell is he even still alive? I don't know? I'm really in to hearing a new album and VH being a band again and i'll buy that album when/if it comes out as soon as i can. But i'm not on the edge of my seat with excitment like i was! Actually i'm kinda taking the ehhh attitude twords them.

1234over
September 23rd, 2011, 07:42 PM
Yea Dave being so MIA is odd! Well not that odd but still not rite weather its his doing or the bands doing as time goes on it feals more and more wrong. Hell is he even still alive? I don't know? I'm really in to hearing a new album and VH being a band again and i'll buy that album when/if it comes out as soon as i can. But i'm not on the edge of my seat with excitment like i was! Actually i'm kinda taking the ehhh attitude twords them.

I totally agree that years of drinking and drugs (can't leave out illness either) has warped EVH, and Roth has likely been pretty abusive. Roth is much sharper and more savvy than Ed, and surely manipulated the band during his years with them. Ed wariness has some foundation, but at this point in their lives (how many more records could they possibly have together? This one and MAYBE one more?) there is no good reason not to just let it rip. EVH wants to keep him on a leash, but Ed's gotta let him run around in the park once in a while.

It's definitely not Roth's doing. EVH doesn't want it to become "the Dave Show", but he doesn't want to admit (and maybe understands all too well) that Roth's character is a crucial element in the Van Halen equation. He wants it to be "his band", when really it was the combination that made it special.