PDA

View Full Version : Van Halen Plans New Material

VH Freak
February 3rd, 2009, 01:32 PM
http://classicvanhalen.com/images/eddave09.jpg
Eddie Van Halen has given Van Halen fans cause to celebrate after revealing he's planning to regroup with his son, brother and frontman David Lee Roth to record new material.

The Van Halens and Lee Roth hit the road for a successful hits tour in 2007 and now the quartet is intent on releasing an album of new songs.

Guitar great Eddie Van Halen tells Spinner.com he plans to hit the studio with his son Wolfie, brother Alex and Lee Roth after his June wedding to publicist Janie Liszewski.

He says, "I hope that after Janie and I get married, and Wolfie graduates, that we sit down and discuss recording new music, which I have tons of.

"If Dave's up for singing... then (we'll) do another tour, and just see where it takes us. Actually, next week or the week after Wolfie, Alex, and I are gonna start jamming. Maybe we'll give Dave a call and see what he's up to. He's off, always doing his own thing, and he checks in every now and then to see how we're doing."

diamonddave
February 3rd, 2009, 02:46 PM
Good news indeed, if it's true.

What exactly has Dave been doing? It's not like him to hole up like this, but apparently he's occupying his time somehow. I'm interested to hear exactly what a new album would pull him away from. :D

bellawolfie
February 3rd, 2009, 03:36 PM
These are nice news. Thank you Freak.:thumbs-up:
Good to hear from you, boss!

brianp88
February 3rd, 2009, 03:37 PM
I can't wait!

CAB
February 3rd, 2009, 05:58 PM
:thumbs-up: Great Success!

I'll believe it when I see it. And I hope and pray that I see it...

EVH_Erupted
February 3rd, 2009, 06:16 PM
Well, it is Van Halen.

not saying that's not going to happen, I mean they did regroup with Dave....

panama's meanstreet
February 3rd, 2009, 06:39 PM
We'll see how this works. Heighten the hopes, lower the expectations.

Dave G 5150
February 3rd, 2009, 11:16 PM
i am pessimistically optimistic that this may or may not happen!!!

but let's hope for the best...

...Dave

punkatomic
February 4th, 2009, 11:08 AM
"I've got tons of music written, such a variety of stuff," says Eddie, who thinks some of it may surprise fans. "The essence of me is obviously there, and those drums, they're always recognizable. But people expect a certain thing from Van Halen, and this isn't exactly bang-your-head-against-the-wall stuff."
Roth is keeping busy too he lives part time in New York, where he works as an EMT, an unlikely passion he began pursuing in 2004. His spokeswoman said he couldn't be reached for comment on his future with the band..."

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/25844674/van_halen_to_rock_on_with_roth

i1sum2!
February 4th, 2009, 11:58 AM
Roth is currently resuscitating a coconut somewhere dudes.....

;)

unchainedguitars
February 5th, 2009, 11:10 AM
Hope he brings the radio shack 12-string for a couple tracks!

usmarine
February 6th, 2009, 07:03 AM
Bring it on Eddie!! Bring back the VH1, VH2 and Fair Warning guitar riff's and blow our minds!!!:101:

Ron4406
February 6th, 2009, 07:31 AM
If the rags this stuff was in wasn't so "reliable", Id have the "I'll belive it when I see it in stores" attitude.
But this isnt the first we heard something like this. Its building up.
To have a summer Van Halen Album again would be the cats ass.
2011 of course.
I would assume this thing may take as long to record as Chinese Democracy.
We know how unstable the whole VH camp can be.
I just dont want another :jerk:

ravennaloveseddie
February 6th, 2009, 11:56 AM
Yes! Thanks for posting this Freak! This is good news indeed...so perhaps those rumors of material being worked on and sent back and forth between the Brothers and Dave in NYC may have had some validity after all - wow...new =VH= music on the horizon...I can't wait!! :101:

Mallonmusic
February 11th, 2009, 06:25 PM
If we see a new VH album or tour this year i'll stick my head in a paint shaker and paint my nuts pink! Come on people 2009 is going to be just an other basic VH year! ABSULUTLYFCKNNUTN!

p.s.

I shouldnt have made this bet cuz Ron knows me and knows i have acces to a paint shaker and pink paint:57: But i'm not worried!

Ron4406
February 12th, 2009, 12:48 AM
If we see a new VH album or tour this year i'll stick my head in a paint shaker and paint my nuts pink! Come on people 2009 is going to be just an other basic VH year! ABSULUTLYFCKNNUTN!

p.s.

I shouldnt have made this bet cuz Ron knows me and knows i have acces to a paint shaker and pink paint:57: But i'm not worried!

The shaker may be a good thing. Sometime i wish i could shake my brains around.
Im more worried about your pink balls.

Mallonmusic
February 12th, 2009, 02:19 PM
Im more worried about your pink balls.

Yea the pink balls are a bit much! HA HA !

But i bet my brother that if VH comes back in any way in 2009 i'd shoot my self in the head with a nail gun:thumbs-up: I'm just so sure that we will not see them any time soon:jerk:

ravennaloveseddie
February 12th, 2009, 04:46 PM
If we see a new VH album or tour this year i'll stick my head in a paint shaker and paint my nuts pink!....

Haha....you two worry me sometimes....

Mallonmusic
February 12th, 2009, 04:52 PM
:D:tounge::D
Haha....you two worry me sometimes....

vhfanjack
February 13th, 2009, 01:55 AM
LOL! 2011? It won't take that long, i mean they recorded WACF in 9 days (or something like that), it wont take them 2 years, 6 months at the most, but Ed promised a tour later this year, so i think that the record'll come out in October, and the tour'll kick off late November or December.

Lol, anyone read how in the new GW interview, he said that bullshit about twisting the ball-end of his string at each twist of the tuning peg (again)? Lol! What's he on?

12 string radio-shack frankenstrats? Twisting ball ends? Calling the 5150 "the striped guitar on the 1984 record"?!?!

What's going on with him?:57:

i1sum2!
February 13th, 2009, 10:20 AM
It's called "mental illness" dude. Ed has enough to go around for a few peeps. Fat chance of getting an album. Are you willing to wait for a few more years? Then have the record only be a half-assed attempt at former greatness? I'm not.

unchainedguitars
February 13th, 2009, 12:53 PM
There's no way a record will come out this year, let alone October.

They don't even plan to even sift through ideas until after Wolfie graduates & Ed gets married, this Summer.

No way they could write, record, produce, engineer & package an entire album in such a minimal span of time.

My guess is Summer or more likely Autumn, of 2010.

i1sum2!
February 13th, 2009, 03:59 PM
That should give Ed enough time to find a decent bass player.:D

It's hilarious to kick back and read comments from the peanut gallery here at cvh sometimes. Those of you who constantly put Mike's playing down, but yet seem to think that Wolfgang is as good or will be better. If there ever is a new album, we're gonna see what the kid has. I'll be surprised if they ever do release one. Ed's focus is on selling gear now, and not making music. Even if he does entertain the thought, it's going to be a long damn time before it comes to fruition. You gonna wait around that long? I'm not. Certainly not for this lineup.

Mallonmusic
February 13th, 2009, 04:46 PM

It's hilarious to kick back and read comments from the peanut gallery here at cvh sometimes. Those of you who constantly put Mike's playing down, but yet seem to think that Wolfgang is as good or will be better. If there ever is a new album, we're gonna see what the kid has. I'll be surprised if they ever do release one. Ed's focus is on selling gear now, and not making music. Even if he does entertain the thought, it's going to be a long damn time before it comes to fruition. You gonna wait around that long? I'm not. Certainly not for this lineup.
That sig is great! I'm not sure if Al is even awake in this pic:tounge:

unchainedguitars
February 13th, 2009, 05:04 PM

Dude, you crack me up!

You act like Michael Anthony is Jaco Pastorius, fer chrissakes!!
"Ain't no way, Ed can replace that guy..."
My gosh, listen to yourself.

Mike was there, now Wolf is there.
Neither of them are gonna give Sheehan a run for his money anytime soon.
Both of them are capable of riding the VH train, and laying down the bass lines.
It's not rocket-science, thumping along to "runnin' with the devil."

The kid will be fine, trust me.

Mallonmusic
February 13th, 2009, 05:23 PM
Dude, you crack me up!

You act like Michael Anthony is Jaco Pastorius, fer chrissakes!!
"Ain't no way, Ed can replace that guy..."
My gosh, listen to yourself.

Mike was there, now Wolf is there.
Neither of them are gonna give Sheehan a run for his money anytime soon.
Both of them are capable of riding the VH train, and laying down the bass lines.
It's not rocket-science, thumping along to "runnin' with the devil."

The kid will be fine, trust me.

So true! But i don't think its about who's better i think its about messing around with a classic line up for no good reason:57: Its like the beatles would have still been the beatles with out Ringo. But it just wouldnt be the same with out what we know and love. If that makes any sence:thumbs-up:

i1sum2!
February 13th, 2009, 05:28 PM
When have I ever said that I thought Mike was the second coming of Jaco? Never have I implied that dude. Mike is a simple bass player like I've always maintained, and he played what fit Van Halen, no more and no less. I just find it ridiculous that some of you think you'll get a great bass player in Wolfgang when he really hasn't cut his teeth in his own band yet. That's what he should have done first in order to gain experience, not bypass the minors and go straight to the pros when he had zero experience both in playing and being on stage. Good luck on getting any new music from these guys before 2010. Even then, I won't bother with it. I'll be even more surprised if Ed wants to pursue it after being humiliated by the release of VDIII.

Mallonmusic
February 13th, 2009, 05:41 PM
When have I ever said that I thought Mike was the second coming of Jaco? Never have I implied that dude. Mike is a simple bass player like I've always maintained, and he played what fit Van Halen, no more and no less. I just find it ridiculous that some of you think you'll get a great bass player in Wolfgang when he really hasn't cut his teeth in his own band yet. That's what he should have done first in order to gain experience, not bypass the minors and go straight to the pros when he had zero experience both in playing and being on stage. Good luck on getting any new music from these guys before 2010. Even then, I won't bother with it. I'll be even more surprised if Ed wants to pursue it after being humiliated by the release of VDIII.

2010? If 2010 i would say like the wayyyyyyy end of the year? If ever:57:

ravennaloveseddie
February 13th, 2009, 05:48 PM
While I realize that this band has changed its collective mind (as well as its lineup) multiple times over the years, I still don't get such disgruntlement coming from alleged fans. It's almost like you feel rejected by an ex.

To my mind, it would be a better use of that energy to think positively about a new release. Who knows who's reading these boards? All I'm sayin' is that if the whole "it's never gonna happen" theory keeps being espoused, someone somewhere could come to the conclusion that there's no support for the album (which there is) and it's not worth the effort....and that would be a shame.

Mallonmusic
February 13th, 2009, 05:55 PM
While I realize that this band has changed its collective mind (as well as its lineup) multiple times over the years, I still don't get such disgruntlement coming from alleged fans. It's almost like you feel rejected by an ex.

To my mind, it would be a better use of that energy to think positively about a new release. Who knows who's reading these boards? All I'm sayin' is that if the whole "it's never gonna happen" theory keeps being espoused, someone somewhere could come to the conclusion that there's no support for the album (which there is) and it's not worth the effort....and that would be a shame.

Yea i know i'm a negative person, but i have been a fan for a while. And we have heard this before. And i hope Ed him self reads this so he can get a grip on how a lot of his fans feel! And trust me if you read the comments on the cnn clip and other news outlets where his articals are ,well there not very friendly either.

unchainedguitars
February 13th, 2009, 08:45 PM
It goes back to what Cathedral said:

Eddie does not give two shits about the Michael Anthony fanclub, and the message boards!

Do you honestly think a disgruntled 1Sum2 is going to effect his life in any way, shape, or form?

Same thing with an adoring Ravenna.

Ed does not care if you love him or hate him, at this point.
Certainly, opinions on a message board are not going to be the deciding factor, regarding if they choose to record new music.

All of us put way too much stock in how the Van Halen's view us.

Ed doesn't care, Dave doesn't care.

They are gonna do what they decide to do.

Cathedral =I=
February 14th, 2009, 12:50 AM

Eddie does not give two shits about the Michael Anthony fanclub, and the message boards!

Do you honestly think a disgruntled 1Sum2 is going to effect his life in any way, shape, or form?

Certainly, opinions on a message board are not going to be the deciding factor, regarding if they choose to record new music.

And the rub is that when and if they do release something new those who were the angriest will be the first in line to pick it up.
That has always been the nature of the beast, unfortunately.

I remember when 5150 came out, the first cut to be released was Why Can't This Be Love, and I was PISSED off.
But, I came around and waited to hear the rest of the album...it wasn't as bad as the single led me to believe it was going to be.

Ok, I'm giving the Spammy era kudos here, time to shut the hell up, lol.

Guitarfreak
February 14th, 2009, 01:53 AM
Ok, I'm giving the Spammy era kudos here, time to shut the hell up, lol.
No kidding! Shut the hell up, Cat! LMAO... never thought I'd see the day... must be gettin' soft as the years go by, eh? :tounge:

i1sum2!
February 14th, 2009, 07:53 AM
I won't be first in line to buy any new album from VHIV. Uh, that's a negatory there ghostriders. I didn't buy 5150 when it came out either. I waited and listened to it on the radio. Didn't like it. Besides, I'll be old(er) and gray by the time they do.

i1sum2!
February 14th, 2009, 08:16 AM

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b127/swapmeetlouie/vhpistolsjh6.jpg

i1sum2!
February 14th, 2009, 08:54 AM
Hope and Faith are just a couple of strippers from Albuquerque.:wow:
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b127/swapmeetlouie/pink.gif

Guitarfreak
February 14th, 2009, 10:52 AM
If some CD does actually get released, I'll listen to it of course. But it'll be via download, same as I did for the three tracks off of BOBW. The stuff EVH has released in the last 10 years has just been so sub-par, it's definite try-before-you-buy material for me.

i1sum2!
February 14th, 2009, 11:09 AM
Definitely GF. You have to stop and think of how long it's been since both Dave or Ed has released any original material. That's been quite awhile, so their lack of any has to make you wonder if they still can get something together that actually resembles rock and roll. :57:

jane
February 14th, 2009, 11:28 AM
If some CD does actually get released, I'll listen to it of course. But it'll be via download, same as I did for the three tracks off of BOBW. The stuff EVH has released in the last 10 years has just been so sub-par, it's definite try-before-you-buy material for me.
Same here ! ;)

vaijuju
February 14th, 2009, 12:12 PM
ED+DLR+Alex+wolfie I'll buy the record, then I'll close my computer and I'll listen this CD during days (same thing in 1984 without internet). It's a date with only me and Van Halen.:101:

diamonddave
February 14th, 2009, 01:17 PM
Definitely GF. You have to stop and think of how long it's been since both Dave or Ed has released any original material. That's been quite awhile, so their lack of any has to make you wonder if they still can get something together that actually resembles rock and roll. :57:

I think you're forgetting Take Sareva. :D

i1sum2!
February 14th, 2009, 03:08 PM
I think you're forgetting Take Sareva. :D

I did forget about that little ditty! Dave half talks his way thru it, and half scats. If that's all he can bring to the VH table, they're doomed. Nice flamenco guitar from Falkowski though.

EVHguitars
February 15th, 2009, 06:46 AM
VH does not exist and has not existed since 84.

EVHguitars
February 15th, 2009, 09:46 AM
Oh yeah, mateial, like clothes, shoes, pics, amps, strings, guitars and vacuum clears that go right up to the wall...

punkatomic
February 15th, 2009, 12:26 PM
Van Halen: 'My teenage son taught me to rock'

(Sunday February 15, 2009 11:25 AM)

Eddie Van Halen was so out of practise when the band started their last tour, his teenage son had to help him perform his own rock classics.
Van Halen recruited Wolfgang, then 15, to play bass with the Jump! band when they kicked off their 2007 world tour.
And the teenager was such a natural, he ended up teaching his dad how to rock.
Eddie Van Halen tells Hustler magazine, "He showed me a thing or two. Like when we were rehearsing for the tour, I hadn't played some of the songs in almost 25 years, so I had to relearn the s**t.
"I'd start playing and Wolfgang would say, 'Dad, you're playing it wrong.'
"I'm going, 'S**t, of all people to kick my a**, it's my own son.'
http://uk.news.launch.yahoo.com/dyna/article.html?a=/15022009/364/van-halen-teenage-son-taught-rock.html&e=l_news_dm

punkatomic
February 15th, 2009, 12:31 PM
Van Halen album on hold until teenage bassist graduates high school

(Saturday February 14, 2009 12:40 AM)

Rock legends Van Halen have put plans for a new album on hold - so the band's youngest member Wolfgang Van Halen can finish high school.
Guitarist Eddie Van Halen pulled his son out of school in 2007 to tour with the band, as a bassist, when he was just 15 years old.
The teenager proved a huge hit and is now a full-time member of the Jump! group.
Van Halen wanted to follow the tour with a new studio album, but the band has vowed to wait until Wolfgang has graduated - so he can be a part of it.
Eddie Van Halen tells Hustler magazine, "We're just waiting for the right time. I took Wolfie out of school for a whole year to do the tour. It was just a bad time because the 11th grade is the year when they prep you for college.
"First he graduates, then we'll sit down, give (frontman) Dave (Lee Roth) a call and see if he feels like whooping and hollering a little bit. I've got a ton of music."
But Van Halen Sr. admits he's impatient for Wolfgang, now 17, to finish his education and join the family band: "Just a few weeks ago I almost yanked him out of school. But I do want him to graduate. The thing is, he already has a profession and a career that he's successful, talented and gifted at."

http://uk.news.launch.yahoo.com/dyna/article.html?a=/14022009/364/van-halen-album-hold-teenage-bassist-graduates-high-school.html&e=l_news_dm

i1sum2!
February 15th, 2009, 12:59 PM
Hustler? I guess we know who got him that exclusive choice for an interview! First CNN, now this. What's next in Ed's wacky world?:57:

diamonddave
February 15th, 2009, 01:24 PM
Eddie Van Halen tells Hustler magazine...

Haha! What a great forum to discuss how your son's doing in school.

I wonder if the folks at Hustler know what a 12-string guitar is?

i1sum2!
February 15th, 2009, 01:30 PM
I wonder if the interview will be sandwiched between the centerfold and Beaver Hunt? Sorta like Ed's getting DP'ed!:D

sorry, couldn't resist the obvious opportunity with a subject like that!:jerk:

Mallonmusic
February 17th, 2009, 04:39 PM
Hey i just got a copy of the cover art for the new -VH- cd!

VH5150VH
February 28th, 2009, 09:34 PM
hes a EMT in NY City

VH5150VH
February 28th, 2009, 09:35 PM
Good news indeed, if it's true.

What exactly has Dave been doing? It's not like him to hole up like this, but apparently he's occupying his time somehow. I'm interested to hear exactly what a new album would pull him away from. :D

Hes a EMT in NY City

diamonddave
February 28th, 2009, 10:02 PM
Hes a EMT in NY City

I know that much, I meant musically. He's been an EMT for quite some time, but he still would tour and remain active in the past.

Guess he's just sitting by the phone...

A.J. MASSEY
February 28th, 2009, 10:54 PM

Weren't you the same person who said that VHIII was Eddie's best effort like, last week?

A.J. MASSEY
March 1st, 2009, 12:15 AM
Hey i just got a copy of the cover art for the new -VH- cd!

I thought Plexico Burress was black?

Mallonmusic
March 1st, 2009, 12:25 AM
I thought Plexico Burress was black?

Damn thats FCKN funny:101:

good one!

p.s.
Yea he is but i think this fits:101:

Guitarfreak
March 1st, 2009, 12:56 AM
Weren't you the same person who said that VHIII was Eddie's best effort like, last week?
Yep.

VHIII wasn't 10 years ago though.

It was 11. ;)

liquidsunday
May 10th, 2009, 10:37 AM
I'm already mowing lawns to save up enough money for the cd AND the tour!;) Just like in 79 and 80!

dougsteele
May 24th, 2009, 08:55 PM
I dunno..I'm into metal now, and I don't think I'm open mided enough to see what new stuff they come up with. No to mention, the Anthony back ups are goine, and that was a huge part of their sound.

I'll stick to the first 4.